Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

Say hello to my little friend...

kj4kicks

blower1.JPG

blower2.JPG

Just got back from picking up this little jewel. A 1995 model year 2 stage blower. I think I stole it, for $200, about an hour from here.

Just yesterday I finally landed a dozer blade about 2 miles from my store, for $50. It's only a 42" though :D .

Now... where to mount the new toy....

If the 160 will run it, that is my first choice. Otherwise, the FEL will need to go back on the 160, and the blower will go on the C520. Good thing WH accessories are easy to swap around!

Eldon.

nylyon

That is one sweet snow blower, and a great price too! The C-160 would be an excellent candidate for the blower, the 16HP Kohler is plenty enough to power that monster. Having the hydraulic lift will come in real handy since that thing must weigh a ton! But now you have yourself a problem.....

2-Stage blower mounts on the C-160

FEL mounts on the C-520

42" Dozer blade mounts on the ....... WHAT? Nothing to mount it on.... !!! ???

You need to go shopping again! :D

T-Mo

If I was closer I could solve that problem on where to mount the dozer blade! :D

Nice blower, btw, Eldon.

kj4kicks

Well, there's always that old 1077 just sitting around !

You're right Karl, time to go shopping again!

The guy I got the blade from has a couple Horses for sale, in the $300-400 range, and he lives close by.

For a split second, I thought about putting the old original 520 metal on the C160 parts tractor, fixing the trans, and using that. Nah.....

Eldon.

nylyon

For a split second, I thought about putting the old original 520 metal on the C160 parts tractor, fixing the trans, and using that. Nah.....

Eldon.

But what would that be called a 516? Could be just too complicated to name...

Curmudgeon

Those two stage blowers are a lot heavier, harder to mount, and harder to lift than the single stage snowthrowers are. I'd recommend the C-520 as I'm not so sure the 16 really has enough umph to use the full potential here.

Might want to consider a dedicated blower tractor. With it being harder to mount, and so heavy make sure it has hydraulic lift.

Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big!!!

Dale

kj4kicks

Hey Dale, Thanks for the input. Toro actually recommends (and specifies it for) a 300 series tractor. Didn't most of them top out at about 16HP?

The 160 does have hydraulic lift, so that should be ok. The compound leverage system on this thing is very cool, and I don't think it will have any trouble lifting it. Remember, the 160 already has the HD spindles, and 4 ply tires on it.

If all else fails, it'll go on the 520, and the FEL will go back on the 160. (until I can find another 520 LOL)

It is a bit of a chore to install it (so I've read). One of the few attachments that actually require tools to install. I'll probably find out tomorrow.

It looks like I have everything except 2 of the springs, which I will order tomorrow also.

I'll get some pics as we move along.

Eldon.

nylyon

In 94 it was for all model's 300, 400 and 500. It's only heavy, since it's 2-stage it can spin a lot slower.

Curmudgeon

I'll repeat. In my opinion, to use that beast to it's full potential, you'll need at least 20HP. You could put it on a 10 HP tractor, and it would work. That isn't saying it'll work well.

Even the single stage throwers work MUCH better on a 20 than a 16. Better on a 16 than a 10. I know, been threw them all with the same snowthrower.

For example, I have a 10K generator, I can put it on a 10HP tractor, but you can't generate 10,000 watts with a 10HP engine. You'll generate less and run out of oomph. Ditto on the 2 stage snowblower. You'll run out of horsepower LONG before the full potential of snow blowing is reached.

Your call. Just how far and fast would you like to blow your snow?

Dale

kj4kicks

Thanks again Dale for your input. But first....

I got to tinker with it today. The previous owner had a stone driveway, and it shows! It's not horrible inside, but something bent the rear impeller hard enough to rub the back of the housing, and knock the drive chain sprockets out of adjustment. It's less than 1/2", but it's enough. A new one costs $217, so before I order one, it's going to the press.

Also ordered new seals for the gearbox, and some bearings, since it's all apart anyhow to get the rear impeller out. The main impeller, now that's something else. They call them "bearings" on the end, but they look to me like bronze bushings. I'm not thrilled with that setup, and may change it over to real roller bearings. Anybody else ever see these things?

Play time is over for today. Time to head to band practice.

Until next time....

Eldon.

kpinnc

Sorry to hear you found problems Eldon.

Just remember- Three tools every Wheel Horse owner needs to have:

1. A grinder (air or electric)

2. A welder (or a buddy with a welder)

3. A big flippin' hammer (AKA- B.F.H. or "flogg-o-meter"- right or left handed versions are both acceptable)

I hope you get it all strightened out. I've seen your work, and I'm sure you can handle it!

Kevin

kj4kicks

Thanks Kevin! I've got the big 3 covered, and if things get really serious, I've got one of those 2 handed hammers! Now, if I can just get the wife to hold on to the impeller while I take a swing at it......

Eldon.

kpinnc

Eldon, once again my wife thinks I'm crazy. :D

I bust out laughing for no apparent reason when I visit this forum!

Too funny! Thanks, I needed that!

Kevin

Buzz

Where I used to work we had a saying "If you can't get it to move with a 10 pound hammer, don't force it". :D

Buzz.... :P ....from the heart of South Jersey

nylyon

Just like my dad used to say (see signature!)

Curmudgeon

Snowthrower story.

Every driveway I have ever blown out is gravel. One person, my mother, thought it looked cool to have softball sized rocks piled up at the end of the driveway.

Uh, under a foot of snow, softball sized rocks are NOT visible.

HOWEVER!

A single stage snowthrower can pitch one a good hundred yards. You wanna talk about a bent auger? Cute little ripples in the snow about an inch high and an inch wide the rest of the day.

A few generous swings with a 10 pound sledge, and the ripples are almost gone.

That was ten years ago!!!!! And I'm still using the same, 40 year old, snowthrower.

You wanna talk about taking a beating and keeping on ticking!!!!!!

Dale

kpinnc

A hundred yards? :D

Nope- I don't need one of those!

With the exception of mower decks, all of my toys are "short range" machines... :P Keeps the nieghbors happy!

Kevin

nylyon

Now I'm even more anxious to use the blower, I want to get projectiles like that.... :D

kj4kicks

Well, I think I got the impeller pretty close. Anybody that has one of these, can you send me a close-up pic of the rear impeller. I think the tips of mine were actually bent backwards, judging by where the paint was flaked off. I put them to where I think they go, but I'd like to be sure.

Also came up with a conversion to put real bearings on the front auger. Cleaned the rust off the main shaft so I could disassemble the gearbox, and replace the seals. One of them was leaking BAD!

So now I'm just waiting on the parts to show up, probably Friday.

Later......

Eldon.

nylyon

You're gonna paint it up nice too ain't cha?

kj4kicks

Nah, the outside actually looks pretty good. The inside is even pretty nice. I may hit the inside of the chute, there's some surface rust there.

It was stored indoors, so that really helped.

Eldon.

kj4kicks

The 2 stage has found it's new home:

P1155161.JPG

The other pics are at:

C160 2 stage

Found out I am missing one small bracket that holds the sway bar. No matter, it runs fine without it until I can get one.

Eldon.

nylyon

Hey, bring it over, I got another 1/4" of snow!

kpinnc

Eldon,

Do all your tractors have that much paint? :D

Half of mine look like "brown horses"...

Just kidding- your's look awesome!

I have got to get busy on mine!

Kevin

kj4kicks

Hey Kevin, The 160 is the roughest of the three. You can tell from the pic exactly where the spray can paint overlaps on the hood, thanks to the PO (not Post Office).

That stupid little bracket that's missing is $48 !! OUCH !

It's only a piece of angle iron. Time to fab one up!

Eldon.