Sign in to follow this  
312Hydro

Can High Octane Gas help an engine run cooler?

312Hydro

I had this mentioned to me the other day and was wondering if there is any truth to it. :eusa-think:

MalMac

I don't know myself but it is an interesting question. i recently switched over to the high Octane because the lower octane gas we have been getting around here is and has been just plain junk. All of my tractors have been having trouble with real quick gum up and just not running worth a darn. I did notice a rather big change in the way things ran after switching. I notice this especially on the tractors with the Onans. Besides the Onans running better they seem to be using just alittle less gas. Not a huge savings just a noticeable difference.

VinsRJ

I don't know for sertain if they run cooler or hotter but higher octane fuel is typically more stable than lower octane, therefore it prevents detonation a little better.

JackC

Don't know about running cooler and by how much.

I do know that the ethanol causes problems and cleaning carburetors is getting to be a pain.

I switched to no ethanol fuel still available in NY state.

States should pass laws allowing it to be sold for off road use (check for availability in your state).

Duff

I wonder if the shortage of corn created by the nationwide drought will have some [positive for us] impact on the ethanol situation?

Duff :thumbs:

smoreau

I wonder if the shortage of corn created by the nationwide drought will have some [positive for us] impact on the ethanol situation?

Duff :thumbs:

If this could only be true! My guess is they will probably import it like every thing else :handgestures-thumbdown: government has gotten out of our control!

Hydro

Higher octane means lower ignition temperature. Up here any good small engine mechanic recommends nothing but high octane for small engines mainly because they have not found a way to put ethanol in it. Engines with high test can sit for awhile without use but regular with ethanol is a real problem with engines used infrequently.

JackC

Your engine could run on the ethanol and water that drops to the bottom of your tank which is where the engine draws from.

Bad stuff.

Even worse for 2 cycle engines.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/sports/x645218902/Ethanol-Fuel-Dangers-Marine-Engines

Buy pure gas if you can find it.

http://pure-gas.org/

zieg72

For me and my Onans I found a 50/50 blend of Premium/regular got me the best overall yield. Around me it is $.10 per gallon difference between Regular, Mid-Grade and premium. I found no difference between the blend I use and all premium, but I also use it up in a couple of weeks of getting it so I haven't compared shelf life either.

tunahead72

...Up here any good small engine mechanic recommends nothing but high octane for small engines mainly because they have not found a way to put ethanol in it...

Am I reading this right?

I haven't checked my local gas pumps carefully lately, but you're saying no high octane gas contains ethanol? Maybe just in Canada? :dunno:

Lars

yes it will runs cooler on high (er) octane. and the sparkplug goes cooler the best fuel is whit lead that u cant get anymore. lead cooled down the engine..

here in norway we have 95,98 and 99 octane gas at the pump.. i have tried to use 99 somtimes on my horses and its a big diffrent from regular 95 gas runs way better on 99 octane.. more power etc..

312Hydro

Thanks guys for all the input. Some very good points were brought up about the ethanol. My son has been using a regular blend with ethanol add and he had a problem with the Jeep stalling about a minute after startup. After he switched gas it quit in about a week. Exactly what JackC described.Coincidence? Maybe. I was just wondering if this would help the Onans with the back cylinder overheating on the 520h.. I'm going to try the higher octane like Knusem mentioned.

ericj

knock on wood, i've always used high test 92 or 93 octane fuel with stabil added when i fill my cans and i have not had any significant problems with any of my tractors or my pick up that sits a lot i wish i could still find snocco ultra 94, that ran real good and could sit for well over a year with out a problem. i have had almost no problems with carbs on my tractors even the ones that sit for months at a time, using 93 octane and stabil

eric j

rick

I have found that AVGAS, 100 octane low lead, wakes 'em up and smells good, too. I haven't seen any negative effects, from the Onan in my 416H to the trimmers and other two stroke stuff I use and service.

Hydro

@ tunahead72

In Ontario there is no ethanol in Hi Octane gasoline and that's a fact.