Sign in to follow this  
Teamreddog

Older style deck pictures

Teamreddog

Does anyone have a picture of an older style deck that has that banana shaped piece? I need to know if it goes above or below the cross bar.

kj4kicks

I think this is what you need:

P6110176.JPG

P6110177.JPG

P6110178.JPG

P6110179.JPG

Rollerman

Thanks for adding those pics Eldon.

I spoke to Team Reddog at Kelly's & couldn't give him a clear answer..."Tom" I think is the name.

These pics should get him going. B)

Teamreddog

I am getting close..had the wrong size belt. guesed at the size needed and I was an inch off i could get it tight and mowed a little but it slipped off...the deck seems to shift causing the slipping...I am close just not quite right

Thanks for the pictures they really helped

WheelHorse_of_course

Looks the same as mine.

When I had problems with the belt popping off it was due to the deck not being level (it was about 1.5 inch lower in the front vs back, but that's another story :whistle: )

Cheers B)

Teamreddog

OK so the piece that connects to the tap on the brake pedal should have a cotter pin or something in it...That looks like one of my problems. The other is my deck seems to shift back and forth. and when you lift it one side lifts higher then the other so I think I need to investigat that a little further.

Kelly

Did you replace the part that was broken? If you look in the pic's it should have a hole in the end of it and mount off the bar that holds the foot rest, that may help your problems. look at the 3rd pic.

Teamreddog

Yup I replace that broken part. Mine is reversed from his pic...the piece near the brake pedal comes in from the inside of the tractor but the same theory. I didnt see a cotter pin hole to keep it attatched and It did slip out once. I see his has a pin through the end. I am at work tell 3pm then I will be tinkering with it more if the wether hold up. The deck seems to be able to shift side to side a lot. So I dont think i have something right. But maybe a tight working belt will help stabilze it

Teamreddog

I have been looking for the manual for mower decks and cant find one. Does anyone have a link to one? I have found one for my tractor but it says all implements are seperate.

Teddy da Bear

I have to figure out my new-old deck too Thom. It seems yet another variation on what you have for my 1054. Mine has a threaded tensioning rod of some sort. It looks like another engineering marvel to overcome....lol

Teamreddog

Well mine has a threaded tentioning rod as well...on the pulley...If you lossen the pulley then turn the nut on the theaded rod it will adjust that pulley for tention. Just so I am clear the only points this attaches to the tractor is the front hitch, the pin near the brake pedal, and the lifting rod?

Teamreddog

ok found the manual...looks like I have everything right accept for a cotter pin and leveling the deck. but both i think could lead to a belt slipping off especially one that is only marginally tight. I am going to go get one that is about an inch smaller witch should allow room to stretch and adjust

kj4kicks

TRD, Yes, there is a threaded rod on the flat pulley for belt tension adjustment. These pics are for a 1077, not that it really makes a difference. It is all original and un-molested.

The deck only attaches at the mid-mount and the lift tab. If your's is moving side to side, or even front to back, something is worn out!

Teamreddog

Yea it moves side to side on me...I need to pull it back off and see whats going on. Bur I see some minor things I did wrong.

Teamreddog

ok the right size belt. changed the upper skid plate looking thing with the one on the other deck mowed my yard the neighbors yard and the abandoned house on the next street over. Mows good but it could use a set of good blades I think. leaving some strips here and there and I know I overlapped I am used to a 36 inch deck not a 42 lol

Teddy da Bear

I am having the same problem... went from a 36" deck to a 48".

I still know I can cut down my cutting time if I used more of the cutting width.

WheelHorse_of_course

Yup I replace that broken part. Mine is reversed from his pic...the piece near the brake pedal comes in from the inside of the tractor but the same theory. I didnt see a cotter pin hole to keep it attatched and It did slip out once. I see his has a pin through the end. I am at work tell 3pm then I will be tinkering with it more if the wether hold up. The deck seems to be able to shift side to side a lot. So I dont think i have something right. But maybe a tight working belt will help stabilze it

Insidw pointing out is the recommended method but I doubt it matters.

Be sure the hanger assemblies are bolted tightly to the shell. This is where most of the side-to-side play is (was?) on mine .

Are you using a real OPE belt? I used a fractional HP belt at first for testing. Worked OK till it came off and then it never worked right again. I did use it to eyeball that everything was lined-up. In addition to tightening the hanger assemblies I moved a washer on the idler to make it more centered compared to the belt.

BTW, unlike the newer decks, this deck does not like to be run in the transport position.

B) Rolf

TT

Inside pointing out is the recommended method but I doubt it matters.

"Inside pointing out" is for the 1968 & up tractors with "running board" footrests.

There isn't enough room to turn the bracket the opposite direction.

Eldon's tractor is a 1967 with the stirrup footrests, so clearance isn't an issue.

Teddy da Bear

I have seen Thom's deck up close. I have also seen the pictures at the start of this thread. My deck is still a bit different. All my pulleys are on the deck. There is a very long threaded tensioning rod and a guide rod that slides through the deck cover itself and has lots of travel. This is yet the 4th variation I have seen on deck technology. I have 4 of them.

Here is my variation on Thom's deck.

Attached Image

post-4-1216829785.jpg

linen beige

I have seen Thom's deck up close. I have also seen the pictures at the start of this thread. My deck is still a bit different. All my pulleys are on the deck. There is a very long threaded tensioning rod and a guide rod that slides through the deck cover itself and has lots of travel. This is yet the 4th variation I have seen on deck technology. I have 4 of them.

Here is my variation on Thom's deck.

The only part of this tensioning set up that hooks to the tractor is the trunion on the threaded rod. Your 1054a should have a small, flat piece of metal protruding down off the frame near the front on the right side with a hole near the bottom of it. The trunion goes into that hole. Tightening the rod pulls the pulleys away from the deck and tightens the belt. If the belt has stretched it will contact/cut into the back of the tie rod.

Teddy da Bear

Is that deck set up specific to the 1054 and possibly the 953?

I believe I see what you are talking about.

If you have time....shoot me a picture?

TT

Is that deck set up specific to the 1054 and possibly the 953?

That's exactly what it is.

If you get a chance, go to PartsTree.com and look at the Toro attachments.....

There must be about 300 different mower decks listed!

A lot of different tractors (or groups of tractors) used their own specific deck.

Teddy da Bear

Wow TT....if you only knew.....the rest of the story...lol

That deck was the one arguing point I had with the auctioneer.

He did not want to auction them together....and finally I convinced him the deck should be sold with the tractor.

I could have lost the deck to a higher bidder!

TT...any more thoughts on my latest SBM post? B)

TT

I could have lost the deck to a higher bidder!

TT...any more thoughts on my latest SBM post? B)

It would have been hilarious if someone else would have bid the up deck real high thinking that it was for a particular tractor -- and then it wouldn't have fit! B)

I can't get near my SBM, or I'd open it up and see what's going on. :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

Ok Terry...

I just wish I could find the spec. dimensions on that bearing sleeve.

But the parts viewer does not work that way...lol