Sign in to follow this  
gratefulydeadman

finally got an rj58

gratefulydeadman

Well I finally got an rj58. it took some wheeling and dealing but i finally got one!! lol.. i started out with buying a tractor for $200 and traded 3 times to get my rj! i dont know much about these older horses. it has a 4hp kohler that runs great since i cleaned the carb. and there isnt a spot of rust on it anywhere. the hood is dented a little bit but its nothing that cant be pounded out. im gonna make this my winter project. can u please look at the pics and let me know if its missing anything. thanks ralph

post-5837-0-34277900-1344206290_thumb.jp

post-5837-0-99897500-1344206322_thumb.jp

post-5837-0-20968500-1344206348_thumb.jp

• Like 3

AMC RULES

That little guy is awesome...wanna trade again?

Ken B

Nice score Barter King!

stevebo

Looks pretty complete to me. Nice find !

gratefulydeadman

here are some questions i have... is it supposed to have footrests? and it looks like there used to be a recoil starter on it. should it have one or is the rope i have to wind onto it the way it came? also i was wondering how do i engage the deck?

stevebo

On the left side of the mower deck there is a "V" style foot petal engaugement. Push it forward and it should engauge. Foot rests were an option I believe. They make repros for about $48 on ebay. Not sure on the recoil or not. You can add on. Schnakke is the one that is desireable but $$$

VinsRJ

Nice looking RJ.

Foot rests didn't come out until 1960 sot hey would be an add on to a RJ.

wallfish

Very nice find!

It looks to be complete with ALL of the goodies, minus the recoil starter. Is that a K90 on there too?

post-658-0-77286500-1344232775_thumb.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Thats a vey nice tractor! :bow-blue: ~Jake

weien's wheel horses

I wish mine looked half,that good:-)

gratefulydeadman

thanks for the picture with the arrow wallfish. lol. and yes it is a k91 on there. it starts right up first pull every time!! i jsut need to do some fine tuning on the carb to make it run perfect. but i have yet to see any smoke or hear any knocks. seems like a solid motor.

grnlark

Looks like you have a nice set of earlier front rims too

tomtractor

I am jealous. I think it is missing red paint in that one spot.

gratefulydeadman

Grnlark. How can u tell that they are earlier rims?

Matt71

Sweet find, hope i find one in half as good of condition!!!!

neil

Lovely looking RJ , So what is your plan for it . are you going to repaint it . ?

VinsRJ

grnlark is my brother so I can say this without getting the business.... he's wrong, LOL.

You have standard issue front RJ rims on that unit. There was a short period of time that the early RJ58's got the earlier style RJ35 rims.

gratefulydeadman

Hey Neil.. I think I am gonna restore it this winter.

And thanks vinsrj for letting me know that bit of info about the rims.

Hey Neil.. I think I am gonna restore it this winter.

And thanks vinsrj for letting me know that bit of info about the rims.

stevebo

Does anyone know if the rear rims are different on the earlier years? I have seen/owned rear RJ rim in which the spacing of the center piece has a smaller gap near the outter rim than others. Just figured I would ask...

VinsRJ

Does anyone know if the rear rims are different on the earlier years? I have seen/owned rear RJ rim in which the spacing of the center piece has a smaller gap near the outter rim than others. Just figured I would ask...

Yes, my 56 RJ35 has the narrow spacing.

swel71

yep my RJ-58 recoil starter was damaged found a guy to repair it cheap

If you go to the Kohler website you can download all the PDF files for the engine manuals and part

the 4 HP Kohlers came with a

Fairbanks-Morse rewind starter motor model # 425-81

wallfish

Or you can go to the Files section on here and download manuals too.

The original recoil on the RJ-58 would have been a Schnake but they are difficult to find which also makes them quite pricey too. Like swel71 posted, the Fairbanks Morse is a good recoil and may be a little easier to find, plus it's a better, more reliable starter. There is also a newer type, stamped steel recoil starter out there that will fit too.

It's hard to tell but it looks like the Schnake starter nut may still be on there holding that starter pulley on to the flywheel. It will have teeth on it if that's what is on there

stevebo

I got this recoil off ebay. The guy sells nos fairbanks and reconditioned. Paid around $70 for it and then buffed it to the high shine since I did not want to paint it and have it look non patina like the rest of the tractor. The other pic on the RJ has the Schnakee that demands all the money... This recoil has a cable vs rope and IMO looks much better.

post-734-0-65229000-1344597164_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-67449900-1344597413.jpg

VinsRJ

The smaller style Fairbanks recoil (Kohler) would be more correct for a late 59RJ/Suburban. Your K91 has the Schnake nut and aluminum back-up rope start pulley.

IMO both starters are finicky in operation; the Schnake cable and snap and the Fairbanks starter cups wear out. At the end of the day though you can run one of the following recoils:

1. Original Schnake (get in contact with Joe Papke)

2. Small style Kohler Fairbanks (mounting legs are casted in place and would be correct for a late RJ59/Suburban)

3. Larger style Fairbanks (typically found on earlier RJ Clintons/Cub Cadets. Just be aware though you will need the smaller diameter aluminum mounting ring, you cannot use the Clinton mounting ring.)

4. A Tecumseh recoil (incorrect for originality but will work)

twostep

Is the paint original? I think the old patina'd ones look best which means I wouldn't "restore" it... of course I would also leave off the recoil.