Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

electric loader...

JUSS10

So let me know if you think this is crazy. I've been trying to find an electric actuator for my 3 point hitch and came accross an individual who has quite a few to choose from. While he may not have what i need for my hitch he does have a matched pair of actuators with 18" stroke that are capable of lifting 1500lbs a piece. The first thing that popped into my head when i heard that was an electric loader... I had read a thread about it on my tractor forum with an individual who built one that worked relatively well. These actuators usually run around a couple hundred dollars a piece but i can snag these for $30 each...

Two concerns that come to mind, first is amp draw. I think under load these pull at most 15 amps a piece. combined I'm sure its more than what the starter generator on my tractors can charge so I'm sure that would throw in a duty cylcle of sorts.

The second is that since these lift so much weight they are actually pretty slow, 15mm per second at max speed, 11mm under load, that puts it at about 30 seconds for full extend. I suppose since they can lift so much weight i could always bring the pivot point of the actuators in so they dont have to travel as far but i know thats not the best way to do it.

That said, is this a crazy idea? the thought of not having pumps, valves, hoses, high pressure, etc makes it very tempting but is it worth the draw backs? would really like to hear peoples thoughts on this

Thanks!

Justin

kpinnc

Amp draw isn't an issue, because it will only be for 30 seconds at a time max. Your engine's starter draws far more than that, and just as these would- draws that from the battery.

But, 30 seconds is a LONG time to raise a FEL. You may want to ask some of the loader owners here how much stroke they use on their FELs.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

There have been a few loaders over at MTF with electric actuators on them. A lot of argument over the pros and cons of electric vs hydraulic.

I have never owned either, so my point of view is worth about what you paid for it!

But it looks interesting to me. Its a relatively clean installation, without the hassle of having to run plumbing all over the place. At the price of the actuators you are looking at, you couldnt buy half of the hydraulic hoses for that.

General consensus seems to be that you dont want to lift more than about 500 lbs in a bucket on a wheel horse anyway. More than that, the tractor gets" tippy". I assume that you are thinking about putting it on your 1054 so maybe you could go a bit more on that heavier tractor, but probably 700 lbs might be the limit.

Maybe instead of running a hydraulic pump on the motor you could run a 60 amp alternator to power the actuators? Still be a nice clean installation. :scratchead:

JUSS10

yeah the alternator was a thought. it would either be on the 1054 or i would put it on the 854 with a real small bucket. either way, i wasn't planning on lifting more than 200-300 pounds with it. more weight requires a beefier sub frame, better front spindles, rear weight, etc.

the 30 second time is what i calculated from the data sheet i could find on the actuator. I haven't gone to look at them yet so i may be wrong.

being the lifting power, i could pull the top pivot back and use less stroke to raise it faster, maybe bring it down to 15-20 seconds.

JUSS10

some pictures i have found

1CUBCADET1.jpg

snowblower034.jpg

COMMANDO6

I say go for it. It will not be too much of a drain on the system and they could easily lift enough weight. It is just a matter of how you design the FEL to minimize the amount it would have to move. You get the actuators to move very little to lift the bucket, then it takes less time.

rexman72

very interesting and i learn new things everyday.not sure i would go with the electric

KC9KAS

Even if the electric operation doesn't work out, you will still have a loader build and can go with hydraulic system....Looks like a Win-Win deal to me!

Now for my question.....will the 18" stroke be enough to raise the boom high enough for a loader, or are you going to use the 18" actuators for the dumping mechanism?

JUSS10

KC9KAS thats exactly how i look at it, worse case i add hydraulics.

as for the 18" stroke, I'm pretty sure thats more than enough. I'm not sure what tractor i want to put it on, it may go on a 753 i have sitting around. If so i would make it like the smaller DanCo loaders that you used to be able to get for the round hoods. Those only used a 12.5" stroke so I think I'll be fine. I think I'll make it a trip bucket as well. We'll see, i figure I'll start small. Plan to pick up the actuators tomorrow

Justin

Stigian

An interesting idea.. As Mike says "Its a relatively clean installation" which I like the sound of.. Much easier to fit wires than hydraulic pipes..

KC9KAS

JUSS10, keep us updated on your build/progress.

And you know how we cry and whine for pictures!

JUSS10

Well I got the actuators. He threw in a 3rd one for free. Doesn't seem too bad for $60.

Not sure when the build will start, just saw these so I thought I'd get them

fdce50ac.jpg