Sign in to follow this  
toughredtractor

drive system on d180

toughredtractor

post-8173-0-76439000-1344024145_thumb.jppost-8173-0-17086200-1344023722_thumb.jppost-8173-0-41509200-1344023765_thumb.jppost-8173-0-68208300-1344023870_thumb.jppost-8173-0-10539500-1344023939_thumb.jppost-8173-0-88224500-1344024066_thumb.jpjust bought a 75 d180 the guy i bought it from had modifyed it put hydr on the front and rear but it looks like had to change and remove parts that were stock.i hve no power the belts keep slipping i dont know if he modifyed the drive system he moved the batery on the foot rest does any one have pictures of what the belt drive sustem looks like.

Regards

Canadian Frank

post-8173-0-37285600-1344024008_thumb.jp

otrelwood

the d 180 or any d is a hydraulic rear wheel drive from the factory, the pump connects to the engine with a coupler, the only stock belt would be for the pto

wheeledhorseman

Hi Frank :WRS:

There's a lot of guys on the forum with experience of solving a wide range of D issues as a result of owning and restoring them so you've certainly come to the right place.

I think we're really going to need some photos to see exactly how your D has been modified by a PO to be able to respond in a meaningful way. It's certainly got me intreagued - can't wait to see it.

Andy

pfrederi

Going to have to see some pictures i have no inkling what the PO did from your description.

1maidenfan

:WRS:

:text-worthless:

Definatly need pics to try and figure out what is going on with your tractor!

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

JamesBe1

Sounds really interesting. Can't wait to see the photos.

Andy is right, there are a lot of folks here with experience that can help you.

Welcome to Red Square.

toughredtractor

Hope these pics can help the process .

JamesBe1

Hope these pics can help the process .

Err, Wow! That's so far from stock I'm speechless. Although, it looks like a very interesting mod.

Does it have traction going to the front wheels?

I like the FEL. Not sure how he powers it, but would like to know.

BTW, there are several D-180 pics in my album. Please feel free to review them. I believe that the others in this thread have pictures in their albums also. They should prove pretty useful.

I can send you a copy of a D-180 parts breakdown if you like, but from the looks of your tractor, it might not be of much help. But at least you can get an idea of where your tractor started out from.

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Awesome!!

Can you post some photos of the rear transaxle as it would be a good starting point i.e. does it still have the original Sundstrand where the hydraulic pipes have been cut and plumbed into or has your D become a hybrid with the transmission from another tractor.

Andy

1maidenfan

Awesome!!

Can you post some photos of the rear transaxle as it would be a good starting point i.e. does it still have the original Sundstrand where the hydraulic pipes have been cut and plumbed into or has your D become a hybrid with the transmission from another tractor.

Andy

I have the same thought, what and or how is this tractor's rear tires driven??? Am I looking at the pics correctly and NOT seeing a trans pump off the engine?

Wild looking for sure!!!

toughredtractor

it has a pully system off the engine and it looks like it attaches to the trans,i am a chef by trade just needed somthing around the yard to tiller the yard and move material.but this has got med crazy cuz the belts slip and there is a stand still.i thought it was odd when i looked at it does any one have pictures of what it looks like on a d tractor

Frank

JamesBe1

it has a pully system off the engine and it looks like it attaches to the trans,i am a chef by trade just needed somthing around the yard to tiller the yard and move material.but this has got med crazy cuz the belts slip and there is a stand still.i thought it was odd when i looked at it does any one have pictures of what it looks like on a d tractor

Frank

Tons of pics around here. Just check one of our galleries. Also, you might try belt dressing on the slipping belts. Might help.

Also, also, I think I noticed a belt tensoiner on the front pulley system. Is that the belt that is slipping or the middle one?

pfrederi

Just a guess but the pump running off the front of the motor is for the FEL. Looks like the original Sundstrand pump normally behind the motor is gone and a constant displacement pump of some make was installed. The hydro handle on the rear fender may be how he controlled the flow to the hydro motor on the transmission...if that hasn't been changed also. Can you see what then 2 belts mounted at the rear of teh motor connect to??

JamesBe1

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

Couple of other observations:

The rear pto pulley appears to have a smaller pulley bolted to the front of it. Why? To make it turn faster? If so, it must be turning something of interest.

Obviously, the parking brake lever has been turned into something else. Maybe something to to with the FEL.

I would really like to know what the plastic case on the right side is for. Tools maybe?

Also, what used to be the PTO lever is now arranged to control a cable assembly. Interesting.

What are the three toggle switches on the lower dash for? Lights, maybe electric pto clutch, maybe fuel pump . . .

Lastly, the fender mounted spool valve. Paul is probably right. Unless the PO took the trouble to run really long lines up to the front of the tractor just for the sake of mounting the valve on the fender. Unlikely. More likely is that there is something hydraulic being operated at the rear of the tractor. Most likely drive-train related.

I hate saying it Frank, but you've got a real frankentractor on your hands. What can you tell us about what the controls do?

You mentioned something about tilling. Did this come with a tiller or any other attachments? Mayhaps the fender valve has something to do with the rear 3pt lift (assuming it has one).

More pics please. We'll do our best to help you figure it out.

coldone

WOW!

The engine has been raised about 3 inches. The Direction lever is now connected to (I guess) a hydralic valve that controls fowrad and reverse. The pullies on the rear facing side of the engine have no tension on them ( i bet thats what is driving the hydro pump for forward and reverse). It looks like a hydralic tank is under the tunnel at the front of the seat (fill plug visable in pic).

I am gussing that the rearend is a case hydrive rearend ( i have been playing with the idea of putting one in mine).

We will need alot more pics to help you identify what you have and how to operate it.

My first guess to get the thing moving is to find out how those belts on the rear side of the engine become tensioned. There is probably also some form of brake holding the rearend from turning. You may have to find that alsoand get it operational.

This site limits your pics so you may have to use a site like photobucket to get all your pics uploaded and then link to them from here.

Please stick around,havin access to a real chef is an asset in my book.We all love food and most of us like to cook so if you have some favorite recipes you would like to share, we are all ears.

toughredtractor

post-8173-0-51239000-1344092665.jpgThe controls on the dash the 2 leavers opperate the bucket and the front hydro post-8173-0-51239000-1344092665.jpgup and down, the one on the fender opperate the rear hydro, the belts off the engine seems to turn the transmission shaft i saw a transmission for sale but it was 12 hp would that fit,and where does it connect to.also the guy took the pto clutch bar off and the bar from the leaver and put some kind of cable device when you pull down the pully goes down on the belt to tighten it and make the pto spin faster.as i was saying i have a tiller but the tractor does not crawl and seems to fast for the tiller to do its job.

thanks for all the coments this is really helping me with frankentractor i need to put it back togeather properly i just need to find the parts befor next season.

toughredtractor

post-8173-0-83051800-1344094967_thumb.jpdoes any one have pictures of what hooks up to the motor where the batery is over.what it looks like when the batery is removed and under the batery pan. i am pretty visual .

i am happy to share any culinay tips and recipies any time.

JamesBe1

I would opine that before you start spending money on parts, you should undertake to understand this tractor. Very little of it is connected in OEM fashion. While the parts may be mostly OEM, they have been swapped around all over the place, parts from other tractors have been added, and the drivetrain totally reconfigured.

If you would like to IM me here with your email address, I would be happy to send you whatever manuals I have on the D-180. I feel bad to tell you, but you are in for a shock.

But it's not all bad. Once we get the belt situation figured out, you may have a working (albeit unusual) tractor. Suffice it to say that you are going to have to step out of the OEM comfort zone and learn to think outside of the box.

I hope I haven't scared you or oversold the departure from OEM world, but that's just how it appears from the pictures.

james

P.S. What does the lever under the ignition key do? Please post lots more pics.

toughredtractor

the leaver under the ignition is for forward and reverse my email is gochef@nb.sympatico.ca the right hand leaver seams not to do anything he has it blocked to stay on the bottom i want to remove it and se what it will do i have only one speed low medium i can call it. the pump in the front is for the front hydro and the pulley he attached to the pto pulley is for the pto and he ran the pump pully to the top clutch pulley.

coldone

Here are a few vids of my d 200. They are the big brother to the d180.

JamesBe1

the leaver under the ignition is for forward and reverse my email is gochef@nb.sympatico.ca the right hand leaver seams not to do anything he has it blocked to stay on the bottom i want to remove it and se what it will do i have only one speed low medium i can call it. the pump in the front is for the front hydro and the pulley he attached to the pto pulley is for the pto and he ran the pump pully to the top clutch pulley.

Britt's videos should give you a good idea of what a D-180 should look like. His is pretty stock. The only difference between the D-200 and D-180 is the slightly larger displacement engine and the larger gas tank.

Also, Jeff (Hodge71) has some good videos of his tractor partially disassembled. He has a lot of knowledge too.

Dunno why the PO changed the speed control lever to where it is now. It should be on the side. Also, the top notch on the side lever had something to do with the parking brake mechanism I believe. I don't ever use it, and don't know if anyone really does. Braking brakes on the D-series tractors are a topic of concern as they often break and destroy the transmission.

When you move the speed lever under the ignition switch, does it automatically engage and stay at a constant speed? What happens when you partially move the lever? What is it connected to?

Also, you should find the hydro pump (that goes to the transmission). What controls are connected to it?

I'll send along the manuals shortly.

james

coldone

James, i could be very wrong but i dont think that d180 is going to have a WH rearend in it.

Foozerush

That is one assembled tractor there. Just looking at photo of the coupler/ pulley assembly and to the right looking at the bolted up bracket, but it doesn't look safe, looks like a hard slam using the FEL might cause damage to you/ tractor.( Dont get me wrong, just helping you look out from a safety view) More pictures will help the many experts here to help you figure out the problems your having. Great to see a fellow chef interested in WH tractors!! Welcome to RedSquare!!!

toughredtractor
post-8173-0-57314700-1344470198_thumb.jppost-8173-0-84079400-1344470646_thumb.jppost-8173-0-98441000-1344470567_thumb.jphere are some more pics

toughredtractor

i found a turning break would this fit on the d180 but it has no disks where can i get them .what i was thinking there is a berek that pushes on one of the pullies to stop as well as loosens the v belts ,get rid of the brakes and put the other brakes on,get tighter belts could work.i would like to fix the pto cluch system i would need the complete rod with the spring ant the clutch arm probably the clutch as well ??? where can i source these maybe someone has them here my US items ship to Maine

Regards

Frank

i found a turning break would this fit on the d180 but it has no disks where can i get them .what i was thinking there is a berek that pushes on one of the pullies to stop as well as loosens the v belts ,get rid of the brakes and put the other brakes on,get tighter belts could work.i would like to fix the pto cluch system i would need the complete rod with the spring ant the clutch arm probably the clutch as well ??? where can i source these maybe someone has them here my US items ship to Maine

Regards

Frank