Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Looking for a little advice on purchase of 520-H

rmaynard

I have found a nice 1990 520-H at a lawn & garden dealer. He is asking $1500.00 for the tractor with a 48" deck, and a single-stage snow blower. Even though the tractor has close to 1500 hours on the meter, it has been regularly serviced. The engine sounds good, and the hydro is strong. Paint is in good shape, and tires are good.

Here are my questions - should I consider it at this price? What else should I be looking for? The dealer will allow me to perform any tests or do any inspections that I want.

Other than what I have learned here on RedSquare, I have absolutely no experience with anything bigger than my B-100's, and though I don't really need anything of this magnitude, I do need a new worker with a mower deck to pull my Cyclone Rake this fall.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

post-2221-0-83086500-1343937455.jpg

Sparky

Heres how I try to figure out the approximate value on the newer machines that have no collector value such as the 520. I try to put a dollar amount on the tractor and the included attachments to be sure I could liquidate it separately and get my money back. Then I offer less that the amount I come up with since I'm buying it as a package.

So the deck/mule drive is a $350 item. The SS blower is a tough one to estimate since I don't know ifs its a tall chute of the same vintage or an older short chute. But a complete tall chute can bring $400 and the short chute around $250 in the winter. The tractor with no attachments and 1500 hours on the clock is a $600-$700 machine. That puts us at $1450 if its a tall chute blower.

I would offer $1000 and let him come up to $1100-$1200.

These are just my opinions on a tractor and attachments I have never seen so I hope I haven't insulted any 520 owners.

Mike..........

Raider12

Spoarky, your madness for calculating a value actually make sense to me. And would have to say that after buying a few of these machines now that the price is not far off. Another thing that will drive the price is your location. It seems as though there are more of these 520's in some areas versa's others.

decksetter

I agree, $1500 doesn't sound too far off. Mine cost 900 or 1000 (can't remember) with just a patched 48" deck and 700 hours from a private owner, not a dealer. No service records or anything.

stevebo

That 520 does not have the gear reduction steering either. I agree with Sparky except on the blower. I feel they are a $125 boat anchor :ychain: . 1500 hours scares me and I would stay away at that price since a new Onan is big bucks to replace/rebuild. Just my 2 cents...

• Like 2

Jeremy Watson

Personally I have a 93 520 with 455hrs 48" SD deck, single stage tall chute snow blower, and 48" snow/dirt blade. To me I would like more than $1500 if I was selling but I think that's what people would be willing to pay. I can tell you I love mine. Good luck on your decision

Jeremy

Forest Road

Is that photo of the actual tractor you're asking about? If so that's a 95 or newer. With all the bad press following the Onans over 1000 hours id offer $700 and no more. 1500 hours is probably bordering rebuilding that motor. That'll run another $1000. Good luck.

Kevin

Is that photo of the actual tractor you're asking about? If so that's a 95 or newer. With all the bad press following the Onans over 1000 hours id offer $700 and no more. 1500 hours is probably bordering rebuilding that motor. That'll run another $1000. Good luck.

Kevin

zeedubbya

I'm currently mowing with my 520h right now and the more I mow with it the more I love it. It sounds great, mows like a dream, is comfortable, has tons of power and looks good too. I think closer to $1,000 would be more like it just based on the hours. I can tell you that I paid 700 for mine with a 60 inch deck at 1100 hours and am really happy with it. That being said getting the Onan back in good running shape was a bit of a mess, and I do have chest pains every time I hear a little hiccup in the motor. $1200 with a blower would be top dollar in my opinion.

kpinnc

I have a Onan P220 with 2600 hours on it, and it's strong as can be with no smoke. It starts better than anything else I have. I also know of several 520s with well over 2000 hours on them that run fantastic. It all about the upkeep on the engine, and with the 520-H that includes keeping the cooling fins clean on the rear cylinder. I would look for cleanliness around the engine, because you can't see under the shroud without taking it off.

Also, with any hydro you will need to drive it for about 30 minutes to make sure it's still strong when warmed up. Not as much of a concern with the 1100 Eaton in that 520, but still worth checking out.

$1500 is a chunck of change to drop on an unknown machine, so no amount of anything we say can do more than your own discerning eyes. I agree with Sparky- try and talk him down a bit. Even if you blow the engine you can probably recover your money parting it out- or repowering it later on is always an option as well. 20hp for the attachments it comes with is overkill anyway. 14-16hp would be plenty unless you find a 60-inch deck.

Challenger

For your reference: Last year I sold my 1200 hour 520H, 60" deck, 2 stage blower for $2800. This March I helped a friend sell his 520 H with under 400 hours, a 52" deck missing the mule drive, and a 2 stage blower for $3990.

In both cases I felt the prices we got were a little light.

Hydro

So far from what I have read here there are opposing opinions on what year it is.. If it does not have the gear reduction steering its worth less. In other wors if its a 1990 don't pay as much.

There are an aweful lot of 520's around without engines and there's a reason for that. I'd be concerned about the hours if you don't know how it was maintaned. It may be worth having but I agree with Sparky even up here you have to be able to get out from under it if the deal is not what you thought.

Ken B

His price isn't too far off. If you really want it I'm with Sparky, Offer him a grand. Offer him less than that and all you'll do is insult him, it is real clean.

boovuc

I'll chime in with something to ask the dealer. Did he ever have to service the engine? If he sold it or serviced it, was it for the exhaust valve seat.? If so, how many times was it "repaired"? Does he have any service records for the machine? Look to see if it has possibly been taken apart. Next, remove the battery and take a real good look at the electrical connectors under the battery compartment. If the machine spent any time outside, this area will show it. Look for "goofball" repairs and crappy wire splices. Look for anything "bypassed". Check for corrosion on the fuse block and any frame corrosion below where the battery sat. Check the tires. At that many hours, the rear turf tires should be worn but not worn out. If they are worn out, it may have more hours on it than it's showing. That tractor pictured is newer than a 1990. Run the model and serial number on the Toro site and get the real year of it.

I won't offer a price you should pay because it is wildly different between people and their preferances. I will say that after I bought my 520-H, the "hype" over it quickly faded. I'll take my 8 speeds over that clunky hydro operation any day. My old 1967 857, the C Series and 300 series tractors I have require much less maintenance and TLC than the 520 and my 416-8 speed. Maybe if I mowed a footbal field, I would appreciate the 520 hydro more. One acre is all I do with trees on it and the 8 speeds work much better for me.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't have the time to take it for a test drive and do a real good inspection, but I do plan to do that next week.

Kevin (Forest Road) - Yes, that is a picture of the actual machine. I don't know why I didn't look at the ID tag to be sure of what it was.

Did any of the 520's have power steering? He did mention that this one did.

Forest Road

Bob

Those decals and rubber running board covers were used on the later models starting in 95 or 96. That also has the gear reduction steering. It'll feel much easier to steer than a regular horse. Therefor it takes a bit longer to make a turn. Its a great feature if you're running either snowblower or an FEL takes all the effort out of steering.

Go get it!

BOWTIE

HELLO, DIDN'T ALL THE 96 MODELS HAVE GOLD TINTED DECALS FOR THE 60th ANNIVERSARY. THOSE NICER FOOT PADS STARTED IN 1996, SO MY GUESS IS IT MUST BE 1997. ONLY A SERIAL NUMBER WILL TELL US FOR SURE. GOOD LUCK IN TRYING TO BUY IT.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

CRE1992

My bet is it is a 1995.

MalMac

That tractor is a 94 or 95, the price is in the ball park if it did not have that many hours on it. With it being an Onan and not knowing how the motor was cared for is the drawback. Like said earlier if that motor takes a dump it will not be a cheap fix. I would approach this deal with the idea of there is not much life left in that motor. It will be very hard to convince the seller that the motor is on the down side of life when the tractor looks good and runs good. To me it's the pit falls of the Onan.

boovuc

No power steering on a 520. Gear reduction steering on it. Much nicer to turn.

varosd

Bob,

I love both my B-80 and my 520-H different rigs, different + and -'s to them as already stated. I have no idea how many hrs are on my K181 sice there isnt a hour meter...perhaps a blessing?!?

6wheeler

Bob. If that is a picture of the actual tractor, it looks just like my 91. Mine does have the gear reduction steering. The deck even looks like mine. Hard to tell from a pic though. I think the 520's with a 48" deck are the ultimate mowing machine (with the G.R. steering) The 20hp engine really spins the deck. So, even in taller grass I can move right along. That does seem like a lot of hours. But, if it was well maintained and didn't spend its years as an outside guest by the former owner. It should be ok. I don't know how these tractors sell out there, as far as prices are concerned. But up here, there was one that I had heard about with 1200 hours and a 48" deck and snow blower. It was a 91 and was well maintained strictly by the dealer that sold it with complete records. The owner was asking $1950.00. And when I called, it was gone. I asked if he got his price? He said "yep, I got 11 calls on it. The first guy that came to look at her loaded it up". I just happened (by accident) to come across mine. It was sitting in front of this small engine shop in town and when I stopped to look at it. The guy said "I just dragged it here, it ain't got no deck and it won't start". I had my trailer on with my C-120 on it coming home from mowing the Eagles club lawn. He said "what do you want for that"? I said, " its not really for sale but, what will you give me"? He says, "I'll trade ya even up". Done deal... I have a 520. I'm not too concerned with the Onans either. I had a 48' Henderson bulk feed trailer with a P220 running the hydraulic pump for the floor belt and the 45' auger. When I sold that trailer, the engine(original) had 5885 hours on it and ran great. But, the unit had a 30 gallon gas tank for a reason, them Onans are thirsty. Good maintenance will make anything last. I changed oil every 100 hours. It was a little finicky when it was -30 though but, so am I. $1500.00 seems a bit high. But if I could run it for say 10 years and not have a lot of trouble? Well, thats $150.00 a year. Seems like cheap power to me. That's my $3 dollars and 12 cents worth.

TheReDStAnG

Well its not a 97' as they used a different seat, steering wheel, and came with the plastic hubcaps. So my best guess would be 94' or 95'. Based on the pictures, I would be hard pressed to believe that it truly has 1500 true hours on it. Original tires, perfect seat, deck looks of same era and not been eaten through, no major body flaws, no mentioning of loose steering, broken gauges, etc. My guess is someone was bad at leaving the key partially on. (I learned that the hard way). If your looking for a keeper, then it sounds like a fair deal as long as everything checks out. If your looking to try it out for a year and possibly resell, you probably need to be at the $1,000 mark. I personally wouldn't go look at a tractor with 1500 hrs (working hours) on it especially with the Onan. (That's coming from someone with 3 of them).

Save Old Iron

I would be hard pressed to believe that it truly has 1500 true hours on it. . My guess is someone was bad at leaving the key partially on. (I learned that the hard way).

A 520 hour meter will not accumulate hours without the oil pressure sensor "seeing" correct oil pressure. Unless the PO has modified the wiring, hours can not increase without running the engine.

farmer

In your first post you said 'I don't really need anything of this magnitude', so I say why take the chance?

Like it or not onan's are risky used, (just read RS) if your one of the unlucky ones $1200 -$1500 could soon turn into a great deal more, and for what?

They sound great and thats about it, most 12hp+ kohler powered :wh:'s will do just as good a job and save fuel to boot. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

TheReDStAnG

I would be hard pressed to believe that it truly has 1500 true hours on it. . My guess is someone was bad at leaving the key partially on. (I learned that the hard way).

A 520 hour meter will not accumulate hours without the oil pressure sensor "seeing" correct oil pressure. Unless the PO has modified the wiring, hours can not increase without running the engine.

SOI, I have to agree and disagree with you. I just checked out my 97' and you are correct, hours will not increase. However both my 88's will accrue hours will key on engine off. They look pretty stock, not even the molly connector has been changed out. So I'm assuming that there could have been a wiring change throughout the years?