Sign in to follow this  
dustycarter

Kohler Magnum fuel problem

dustycarter

Well went to start my mower the other day and nothing. Gave it some starting fluid for about 10 seconds, ran fine but just on the ether. So I checked the carb. its fine. Checked the pump and it wasn't pumping. So, is there something I can do to fix this? Or is a new/ rebuilt one in the future. i am needing it pretty soon because I was going to start and dig my potatoes tomorrow. But I don;'t know what else to do. I think it is shot but Im sure you all know something I don't.

Kohler Magnum M12

1989 Wheel Horse

JackC

Maybe take the fuel pump off, take it apart and see what it needs. It may be dirty or need a diaphragm,

You may be able to get a diaphragm from a small engine dealer near by if that is the problem or have them fix it for you.

You can also buy a new or used pump from ebay and other sources.

You could also set up a temporary gravity feed tank mounted on your hood if you had, or could get, the parts to do that.

dustycarter

Ok. I will take it off tomorrow morning and see what all it needs. I do have a tank I could use but never thought of doing that. Thank you for the help.And I will let you know something tomorrow after noon. Thanks

dustycarter

Well what I had to do was prime the pump. I went ahead and took it all apart and cleaned everything. I hadn't run it in about a month and a hlaf so i guess that why. But its running and all my potatoes are dug. Thanks for the help!

JackC

Good to hear. Hope the potatoes turn out good.

Get ready for a carburetor cleaning at some point.

The ethanol can really plug them up.

dustycarter

Well thank goodness the Kohler engines are real easy to service. I believe that ethanol does more harm than it does good. And yes the potatoes dig real good, Got stuck a few times but it plowed right through it. Now I would like to get a cultivator for it to plow between rows.

squonk

With this drought, both of my tractors have been sitting. Grass is starting to go again and both ran like crap. Stinky fuel! I've found a place near by that has 91 octane with no ethanol. That's all I'm going to use from now on until they don't have it anymore.