Sign in to follow this  
County Agent

Advice on getting a puller to hook up

County Agent

I have a C-175 puller. It has a fresh Kohler KT-17 ( rebuilt in March), adjustable hitch, wheelie bars, and front weight bar. It currently has 26 X 12 x 12 Cepek Giant Pullers on aluminum wheels in the back. My frustration is, I can't seem to get the tractor to hook up. I always spin out/lose traction on the rear wheels without ever really pulling the motor down at all. Depending on track moisture, I can get from 125 to 195 feet and then spin out. I pull in 1st gear high range. Any suggestions as to how I can improve my distance?

Thanks for "listening"!

gmalott24

What is the weight limit in your class? Run 2nd gear high.

County Agent

Weight limit is 1050 pounds, max hitch height is 13 inches. Thanks for replying!

Deere Hunter

I agree with Greg that you need to try a higher gear. If you find out 2nd is to high a gear, you will probably have to go to adjustable pulleys to get the speed your looking for. Also where is your movable weight located? Are you running to much nose weight? keep your weight under your trans or right in front of the trans. Keep moving weight around till you get it picking the front end up and adjust from there to balance out the tractor. Play with your tire pressure, that can make a difference.

County Agent

Thanks for the advice Deere Hunter! Most of my weight is hanging on a belly bar just in front of the rear tires and some under the seat.

Jim_M

Make sure your tires are flat on the track. Too much air and you'll only be using the center of the tire, too little and you'll only use the outsides of the tire. I run 5 to 5 1/2 pounds in my Cepek tires. If I'm on a loose track I use Vogel VM11's. I have never gotten the Cepeks to hook really well on a loose track, but they love a power track.

County Agent

Thanks Jim. I have been running between 5-6 pounds of air pressure.