Sign in to follow this  
Boston Horse

42" SD deck and vac bagger problems

Boston Horse

Hi guys -

I am new to this forum and I am looking any help I can get. I had a 310-8 with a 37" deck and it mowed perfect. I just "upgraded" to a 1996 416H with a 42" SD deck and a vac blower. My problem is that it leaves a trail of clippings along the side with the blower. I have to go over every other row a second time to suck up the clippings, and even then, it stll leaves a windrow of clippings. I am going about as slow as I can in the machine, and I am only cutting about an inch off, leaving the grass at 3". Has anyone had this problem before? I have powerwashed the underside of the deck, sharpened the blades, leveled the deck front to back and checked the air in the tires. I am out of ideas! Please see attaced photo.

post-6358-0-20424600-1343691004.jpg

skrusins

Are the blades upside down?

Boston Horse

Just double checked that - blades are fine. The mower cuts fine, but its not sucking everything up. The bags are filling up fine, but no matter what I do, it won't pick up that windrow on the blower side...

Dockfishin

If it's on the side the blower attaches looks to me like something is catching and letting the grass drop at the suction point and leaving a row maybe. Is there something there that can catch grass as it's being pulled in? I'd reexamine how it's attached and look for causes there. Maybe post a picture of the deck where it hooks and the vacuum hose attachment where it connects too there's a lot of smart people here and I'm sure someone can help you.

farmer

Hello dbernstein 03, :WRS:

Do you have the small triangular 'baffle' that bolts to the underside of the deck, (it's inside the deck by the righthand gauge wheel) if not, I think that's your problem.

I can't help you out with part #'s or pictures as I no longer have the attachment, but I'm sure someone on :rs: can.

Hope this helps.

MalMac

I have to agree with farmer. The baffle is Part # 79-7300-03

darren

I've got Rex's bagger now, if you need a picture of it, just let me know! With the part number however, you may get a clearer idea through the partstree website

Darren

Boston Horse

Thanks for all the suggestions - but I am not sure of the baffle/deflector you are taking about. Does anyone have a pic of the part 79-7300-03?

I flipped the deck on its side and took some pics - does anybody see anything wrong with this deck? I can't understand why it is not picking up the clippings! Thanks in advance!

post-6358-0-63066000-1343788551_thumb.jp

farmer

From your picture the deck fine but no baffle ....so I suggest that's your problem (it fits in the bottom left corner when viewing your picture, making sure airflow/clippings are funnelled into the impeller). If you enter the model # of your twin flow into the toro look up site, you should get a parts drawing to view. the item itself is simple enough (mine was home made and worked fine).

Good luck. :thumbs:

Boston Horse

Farmer - thanks for your input. I have been looking all morning on the Toro website and everywhere else, and I can't find the baffle that everyone is talking about. It totally makes sense that I need a baffle, but I can't find it or a picture of it anywhere. If anyone can point me to a link of a picture or post a picture, that would be great! My deck is Model: 78345 | Serial No. 6900001 - 6999999

darren

Hi dberstein.

If you go to http://www.partstree.com, click on the Toro icon (not the toro landscaper equipment one) and in the pane on the left, where it says "Enter Model Number Here", enter 07-4XVC01 (that's a bagger part number, rather than a deck one), you should get a complete parts list for the bagger. The part you're looking for should be under 'Shield Assembly'. Although it fits to the deck, it ships with the bagger parts as it's only required when using that.

You should find everything you need on that site. If you're not sure of something, you can often find the part by just clicking the Toro icon and then navigating through the menu items until you find the area that you want.

Hope that helps! I'll try and post a photo if I get the chance to get out tonight and can dig out the camera...

Boston Horse

Darren - you are a great exmple of why Red Square is as amazing as it is. Thank you for taking the time to help me!!! I see exactly what you are talking about. If you have the chance, I would love to see a pic of this piece installed on an actual deck, but this is awesome. I will buy this part and I am sure this is the reason why it is not sucking the clippings up as good as it should. Thanks again!

• Like 2

Tom J

I too am new to the Forum, and I too have recently bought a 416H with a vacuum bagger. My 42" deck is also doing only a fair job of picking up leaves and grass at average speed, and blows some leaves out the side leaving a smail trail. I am anxious to hear if this baffle fixed your problem? I was disapointed that a unit that looked so powerful, did not work better. I also noted that the blades of the blower fan were bent back slightly at the corners, and wondered if this was affecting the vacuum's efficiency?

If it worked for you, I will be ordering one too. Thanks for the help!!

TJ

MalMac

Yes you will need that baffle but when doing leaves it will leave a trail sometimes. Also when doing leaves it will blow them out the front of the deck. I set my deck very low when doing leaves. They also made a leaf baffle for the 42" decks that bolt on the front of the deck. I never got one because I could not justify the 200 expense. I am not even sure they offer that front baffle anymore.

Don1977

I built my own vacuum and one way to solve the problem is to mow throwing the grass or leafs into the area you haven't mowed. That way you pick up what it threw out on the next round. Couple of passes down the middle when finished will get what's left.

MalMac

When I do leaves I do exactly what Don1977 does. One thing I notice when doing leaves is I make sure my grass is cut real short right before the leaves start coming down. Trying to cut grass and leaves is a lot for that vac to handle. I have a large amount of leaves and cannot let them get too deep before I start. Also found out that the gator blades work great for leaf clean up. They really mulch the leaves. Increased no less than 30% more in the bagger bags. Which is more weight to lift off the rack to dump the bags.

bk-scouter

I have the vacuum bagger on my 48", and I was checking out last night to see if my deck had the baffle as mentioned earlier. Lo-an-behold, it didn't. I have had the problem only on a minor scale, but not that noticable.

-BK

Tom J

Somewhere I read that 48" decks with the vacuum don't need one, or at least they are not as important as on the 42" deck.. However, I have also seen in the manual that the 48" decks have 2 holes for attaching it, while my 42" has only only bolt hole per the manual. There may be 2 different part #'s.

TJ

bk-scouter

From my IPL manual...

42" deck deflector= Toro #79-7300

48" deck deflector= Toro #79-7290

-BK

kpinnc

I have the vacuum bagger on my 48", and I was checking out last night to see if my deck had the baffle as mentioned earlier. Lo-an-behold, it didn't. I have had the problem only on a minor scale, but not that noticable.

-BK

The 48SD decks have longer blades, and much higher "tip speed" than do the 42SD. They create more lift, and project clippings farther than the 42-inch decks. I'm sure the baffle will help, but I wouldn't expect any huge results. None of the larger WH decks are that good when it comes to generating high lift, with the exception of the 60SD.

And for a completely non-helpful point: The best deck to use with a non-powered bagger is the smaller 37-inch side discharge. It has a high-lift design and only two blades with high tip speed. You have to use 6-inch front wheels on most tractors, and it will require a couple extra passes to make up for the size- but it's well worth it for bagging if you can snag one.