Sign in to follow this  
matthewdavidstruve

418-a drive belt routing help

matthewdavidstruve

I have a 418-A wheel horse mower. The tension idler pully was off when i got it and i can not figure out how the belt is supose to be routed.I have looked all over the net and though the owners manual but can not figure it out. The model number is 31-18KE01. I can put up a picture if needed.

Road-Track

After looking at your 418A 1987 parts diagrams

Pull the T-handle lever (49) back and up. This puts the idler pulley (43) in "neutral". Install the drive belt around the drive (1) and driven (7) pulleys with the

belt top under the idler pulley. The idler pulley (43) should have no tension on the belt (6) until you release the T-Handle lever (49) forward.

That's all there is to it. :happy-bouncymulticolor: All the C, 300, 400 and 500 auto's are pretty much the same.

Hope this helps you out and :WRS::rs::wwp:

TT

Perhaps this will be of additional assistance:

GT1848dbtensioner004.jpg

matthewdavidstruve

Thats how i thought it should go. I must have the wrong size belt but i measured it at around 81" which is what it says the belt size should be. But when i put it together like that the pully was hitting the top plate and the belt was way to tight. Should i try and get a bigger belt. Or is there something else that could have been adjusted to make the belt tighter with out that pulley Thanks for the help the picture is a huge help.

TT

Although not a 418, my hydro tractors ('90 416-H & '83 GT-1848) have an 83" long drive belt.

I'm not sure why the length would change that much between the older C-175, the 417/418/420 models with the Kohler twin, and the Onan twin / hydros, but some do list the 81" long drive belt. :scratchead::confusion-shrug:

Nothing else can be adjusted so I would recommend trying the longer belt.

If it helps, a Gates 6983 is what I have on both of my tractors mentioned above.

dennist

The 418-A....model #31-18KE01 (87') takes drive belt #108501 which is listed @81.50" and yes, it is the same as the 417-A, which has the Kohler, but as stated above, the Onan and Briggs take the longer belt #108502 listed at 83.00"

matthewdavidstruve

Mine has the 18hp kolter. Could you post a picture of your 418 from pulley to pulley so i can see if anything is different. The tractor was givin to me and not sure what the owner beforehand has changed on it.

dennist

Mine has the 18hp kolter. Could you post a picture of your 418 from pulley to pulley so i can see if anything is different. The tractor was givin to me and not sure what the owner beforehand has changed on it.

If you post a pic pulley to pulley of yours, I am sure someone will be able to see anything that may be incorrect.

Mark Stewart
On 27/07/2012 at 6:57 PM, matthewdavidstruve said:

I have a 418-A wheel horse mower. The tension idler pully was off when i got it and i can not figure out how the belt is supose to be routed.I have looked all over the net and though the owners manual but can not figure it out. The model number is 31-18KE01. I can put up a picture if needed.

Mark Stewart

Hi All;

I know this is an old post but I am a new member and it just helped me out so I want to say thank you for this and all other contributors on Red Square. I have been reading much about my "new" 418a and am eager to continue doing so and looking forward to it's maiden voyage. It's first job will be snow detail and then onto the grass. I will have to find a mower deck and there seems to be a good quantity of them available on Craigslist and Kijiji (I'm in Canada where Kijiji is like Craigslist). 

Stewart