Sign in to follow this  
jaydeer

953 value question

jaydeer

I know value questions are hard to answer without pics but I am looking at a very clean nice running 953 with a good deck. Owner asking1000 to 1200. My thoughts are a bit much, not worth more than 800. ANy thoughts?

Kelly

For that much it better be VERY nice.

Jake Kuhn

Yeah,Seems a little steep to me. Jake

ol550

Only way it could be worth that is if Martin restored it. :handgestures-thumbup:

4xfourfun

If its a really nice original 800 might not be too bad but still on the upper end. Its pretty easy to put a lot of cash in one to try and get it correct. I had one years ago that I paid $200 for, which I thought was a good deal. By the time I tracked down rear tires, fuel tank, steering wheel, steering arm, recovered the seat, and more I had $600 total in it. I sold it and just broke even not counting my time!

• Like 1

Martin

Its pretty easy to put a lot of cash in one to try and get it correct. I had one years ago that I paid $200 for, which I thought was a good deal. By the time I tracked down rear tires, fuel tank, steering wheel, steering arm, recovered the seat, and more I had $600 total in it. I sold it and just broke even not counting my time!

without really adding up what i have in the 1054, it would take more than $1000 and i think i would still be off 'breaking even'. i dont even think about the $ that are put into fixing them up. its a hobby and its relaxation and time out from a stressful job.

i think its pretty safe to say youre never going to get rich in this hobby if you spend the time and money making them into a 'nice' tractor, especially if you really do everything.....

i try to make the initial buy as cheap as possible, as i consider that cost to be the most critical. it really helps if the tractor is in nicer condition rather than a basket case too, as most of your $ is going to go into replacing parts that you just paid money for. most of those parts are going to be a hard sell if you dont want to use them, most others wont want to use them as well......

if its a really clean good running and complete tractor that you dont have to or want to spend $ on then i think 600-800 might be ok, its still on the high side, but you could be looking at a cheaper example that would run you up more than that to get it into decent running condition if you have to do tires, gas tank, some engine work and all the other parts that are usually needed on these models. then theres the body, the 953/1054 can really eat up the time and money fixing a rough body/frame assembly.....

just make sure that if you are paying more for a good one, that you really check it out thoroughly......

• Like 1

stevebo

This one as shown in the other posts needed to get back running by changing fuel line, filter and adding gas. The left rear tire was flat and needed rim repairs but I bought it for $175 plus another $250 for other stuff including new hydro pump/belts etc. No attachments.

post-734-0-29047800-1343475329_thumb.jpg

AMC RULES

It ain't easy gettin' something nice for nothing.

You have to remember these old :wh:'s are an investment of both your time, and money.

If you wanna play, you gonna pay...sooner or later...one way or another.

jaydeer

THanks for the feedback. The frustration is I know that the owner paid 400.00 for it (I know the guy he bought it from) I worked on tracking it down for a year, found it and the guy said he would sell, knocked me over when he said he wanted 1200 for it, then said he would trade for an 8 speed. I swapped a 312 for a decent C120, added a deck, drove back over and said his tractor would be worth 800, mine around 600, going high end on both. SO it would be a tractor and 200. He said the C120 was too old, not what he was looking for.(even though it was 10 years newer than his.) Then I couldnt get a price plus trade from him. AAARGH. I totally agree with not doing things for the money, and I constantly trade, swap and sell for the fun of it. THis one has just been a major exercise in frustration, especially since the guy wants to use the tractor to mow the edge of a pasture only and is really a decent guy, just thinks he has something thats worth its weight in gold. We will see what today brings.

bean

the 953 is my dream tractor. I think it sums up the classic look of the '60s tractors. I would pay $800 for a nice example. more with attatchments. I have never seen one for sale in my area. plenty of suburbans, rjs, etc. but never a 953

• Like 1

hbrooks49

If it's something you really, really want the basic question is what is your chance of finding another? If you need to justify the purchase in your mind run the price backwards -

Step 1 - deduct the cost of any "extras" that come with the tractor

Step 2 - deduct the cost of any recent repairs or replacements that won't have to be redone

Step 3 - deduct the cost of items that will not require your attention due to condition (eg - is the paint going to be OK, not requiring a repaint)

Keep in mind this exercise is a justification - it really bears no resemblance to anything but convincing yourself (or perhaps others) that this is a good deal. At the end of the day if you are within a couple of hundred dollars pricewise and think you might be kicking yourself for letting it go just buy it. There are a lot of questionable things we spend a couple hundred dollars on over the course of a year that we don't even remember - owning the WH is something that you will always remember.. life is short, enjoy it.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

If it's something you really, really want the basic question is what is your chance of finding another? At the end of the day if you are within a couple of hundred dollars pricewise and think you might be kicking yourself for letting it go just buy it. There are a lot of questionable things we spend a couple hundred dollars on over the course of a year that we don't even remember - owning the WH is something that you will always remember.. life is short, enjoy it.

Well said.

bean

a guideline I have used in the past;

i never worry about what the person has in it.

my question is;

if I buy this today for this price, can I turn around and sell it the next day for the same price?

if the answer is yes, it's a good deal

if the answer is no, the price is too high

today, when I sell something, I just stick it on ebay starting at $!, and see where it goes.