Kevin Pate

1963 Wheel Horse 753 Resto-Mod

Kevin Pate

know I know....It's just a tractor....

I found this tractor literally in my neighborhood and the gentleman that had it was going to scrap it out :fear: He knows I collect and restor old tractors and engines and asked if I wanted it ( he asked me originally 7 or 8 months ago and I thought he had a Murray Mower; was I wrong). I knew it was a Wheel Horse Tractor but the year and date was what I was interested in. After going on to Redsquare and asking around and showing photos, found out it was a 1963 753 model. 7 hp Kohler and all.

Here is how it was rolled down to my garage....

2012-04-21_15-58-50_406.jpg

The good part: it was 100% COMPLETE :w00t:

The bad part::

- Deck was completely rusted out and only the blade mech was holding it together.

- "Creative engineering" on the fuel and steering system.....nuff said....

- Broken steering wheel

-wrong seat (no big deal)

-rear tires coming apart

-beat up hood and rotten body work

Started with the main part of the tractor, the fuel and steering system. These tractors came with a 2 piece cast aluminum gas tank with the steering shaft going through the top half. somoen in the past had attempted to seal the tank with copper RTV ( really??) and use drill screws to hold it together where they had broken the original screws out :shake: Plus they broke the mounting points to the hood off of the tank....

2012-05-09_19-03-40_170.jpg

2012-05-09_19-03-31_376.jpg

Trying to decide on wether to salvage the tank or try to find a new one....

Next item is the steering wheel, or lack of. The steering shaft rode on a plastic bushing in the tank and I had a bronze buishing layhing in my parts bin. Perfect fit..

2012-05-09_18-13-41_94.jpg

The steering wheel was found at Northern Tool for less than $30. NOS Wheel Horse steering wheels are out of the question budget-wise. plus I built an adapter for it to mount up to the original hole...

2012-05-05_19-44-29_279-1.jpg

2012-05-05_21-20-56_461-1.jpg

2012-05-05_21-23-11_152-1.jpg[

• Like 1

Kevin Pate

Next up was the big teardown of the tractor to the frame......

How it looked at lunch time...

2012-07-21_15-00-29_383.jpg

As of 3:30 Sunday afternoon......

2012-07-22_12-46-56_736.jpg

2012-07-22_13-36-52_690.jpg

Time for the pressure washer and sand blaster....

• Like 1

smoreau

Looks like a great candidate for a restore to me! Should look nice all fixed up!! its got a lot good going for it for sure!

KC9KAS

Looking good! You putting that big axle/differential in the horse?? Ha Ha.

Kevin Pate

Looking good! You putting that big axle/differential in the horse?? Ha Ha.

LOL neah that's for anothber compact tractor build that will happen in the future :eusa-think:

Haven't had much time to work on it through the week due to late nights at work and organizing an entire production move to another plant (read: Keystone Kops).

I did get a chance to take a photo of some of the "creative engineering" that has been done to it. Pillow block for the lower steerign gear....who welds stuff like this to the frame???? *****.gif

2012-07-25_16-56-26_706.jpg

And some of the rotten body work....... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: ......

2012-07-22_11-46-08_402.jpg

One question I do have is this acess plug...is this factory to get to the oil fill hole for the engine???

2012-07-22_11-46-18_678.jpg

• Like 1

Kevin Pate

More progress.......more issues...... :eusa-think:

:eek: Had a chance to tear it down a little more and take the degreaser/ cleaner. I knew the steering support was broken, but didn't realize the steering shaft also might have been damaged. What blows me away is they attempted to weld it together, but it wasn't welded together... :rolleyes:

2012-07-28_13-13-52_724-1.jpg

Steering shaft had been welded in the past on both ends. This one was pretty bad... :rolleyes:

2012-07-28_13-13-58_145.jpg

2012-07-28_13-47-31_441-1.jpg

A few minutes with the welder on both parts and they are ready to go and fixed properly.... :up:

2012-07-28_15-11-35_418.jpg

2012-07-28_15-49-38_609.jpg

Gonna shoot the primer and paint to it this afternoon and see how it turns out...

One question I do have concerns the battery box...it appears someone cut on it in order to fix the steering...should this be a solid piece across here????

2012-07-29_11-37-19_806.jpg

• Like 1

Martin

kevin, repairs look good. the battery box i think should be one piece. the ipl for your tractor shows one piece.

yours looks like it was just hacked up in the middle. looks like its just a strip of flat on edge bent around the shape of the bottom of the battery and welded to the frame.

753iplframe.jpg

Kevin Pate

kevin, repairs look good. the battery box i think should be one piece. the ipl for your tractor shows one piece.

yours looks like it was just hacked up in the middle. looks like its just a strip of flat on edge bent around the shape of the bottom of the battery and welded to the frame.

753iplframe.jpg

Thanks for the info Martin. Since everything was welded together I may keep the "notched" battery box and clean up the cuts to make them better. I may even reinforce the box by welding both sides where it attaches to the frame. I painted the steering and front axle this afternoon and it looks good.

Martin

just my 2 cents here, but i would fix the battery holder while you have access to it. theres really no need to have it sectioned like that. it was probably cut to be able to get the steering out of there with the deck attached or something like that. if you fixed the steering support and its no longer welded to the frame, i think you will be happier later on that you took care of the battery situation as well.....

the steering gear shaft is welded both ends on the later models instead of pinning.

Kevin Pate

just my 2 cents here, but i would fix the battery holder while you have access to it. theres really no need to have it sectioned like that. it was probably cut to be able to get the steering out of there with the deck attached or something like that. if you fixed the steering support and its no longer welded to the frame, i think you will be happier later on that you took care of the battery situation as well.....

the steering gear shaft is welded both ends on the later models instead of pinning.

I did not know that. I'll look for some sheet metal the same gauge and repair it up :)

• Like 1

Martin

just looking at your pics again and i think the reason the battery box was cut was because it was not removable from the frame. the later ones were removable and hence a welded steering gear shaft was able to be used. might be better to just make a new battery box that bolts on. or you could find another steering gear shaft that was pinned. the steering gear shaft welded is a much better idea in my opinion, so thats how the removable battery box came into existence. the shaft didnt need to be dismantled to get it out of the frame with the battery box out of the way. you cant drop the shaft out from the bottom because of the foot peg piece going across the frame underneath it.....

• Like 1

Kevin Pate

I have an idea in my head for this right now. It's gonna be a slow week to work on it so it gives me time to think on how to hold the battery in better and maybe modify this.

We have painted parts.....wo0t....

Front axle..

2012-07-31_17-58-34_791.jpg

Steering gear..

2012-07-31_17-58-42_306.jpg

• Like 2

Ken B

Looking good Kevin!

Coadster32

Nice work so far. :handgestures-thumbupright: BTW---I have a W/H battery box avail. If interested, PM me on it.

• Like 1

billhood

Good looking restore! I'm in the process of sandblasting and powder coating everything on my 753 too. Does anybody know the correct way the throttle linkage is supposed to be connected? There is a linkage mounted to the head, and that has some springs on the governor arm and the carb. The springs are not stock, and were put on 'in a rush'. The throttle cable connects to the linkage assembly on the cylinder head. None of this seems right, and the throttle doesn't work correctly. The engine is the K161. Thanks in advance!

Bill Hood

TT

:WRS: Bill!

This might help:

If you need more info, pictures, etc., let us know. :handgestures-thumbup:

billhood

Thanks for the link! That clarified things a bit. Unfortunately, parts are missing from the governor arm assembly: disc, springs, and maybe a bushing. I've been looking for replacement parts, but coming up with nothing. Does anybody know if there is a retrofit governor assembly that will work? Thanks in advance!

Bill Hood

zanepetty

Looking great Kevin! I'm restoring my 753 as well. I'd like to see more pics of yours!

51Chevy

Looking good!

rexman72

very nice work

AMC RULES

Any updates to share Kevin?