Sign in to follow this  
EdG.

thinking of putting Vanguard in C-125, but I have questions

EdG.

Thinking of putting a 18hp Vanguard twin in a 1980, c-125 parts tractor that I got from

good-ole RS member 'Cowboy'.

Looks like the Vanguard twin comes in different shaft lengths and all I know is that I don't want

the tapered shaft.

Does anyone know what length of keyed shaft I would need?

On the Vanguard site they list shaft dia. of 1.000" and a 1.125" but I don't

know if every model has this option or not.

Any input on what kind of problems I would be getting into.

I have read where some have a height problem with clearing the hood and

that I may have to fab up the exhaust but this is all that I know.

can whlvr

if it will physically fit,then i would use a 1.125,if you got the motor and pto with the tractor then thats what pulley would be on a 12 hp kohler,the 1 inch thick shaft is harder to find the proper pulley,they do exist as the 8 hp kohlers used them like on my 308,but the swap has been done by some members so im sure someone will chime in

EdG.

My parts tractor didn't come with a motor, so this is why I am thinking about putting a Vanguard twin in it.

Thinking maybe the 18HP model.

I need some to measure how long the shaft is on a 12hp Kohler or someone that has done this swap to

let me know the length of the shaft that their Vanguard has.

kpinnc

You should have no problems with fitting it under the hood of a C-125. The bolt pattern will be different though, and the PTO shaft will be about an inch lower. I made an adapter "plate" to raise the engine an inch as well as to prevent drilling unneccesary holes in the frame. Vanguards are good engines, with plenty of power. They also are FAR more fuel-efficient than a Kohler or Onan equivalent.

Picture003.jpg

If the C-125 is an 8-speed, you'll have no trouble finding a drive pulley. If it's a hydro, they are a bit harder to locate, as most Vanguards have a 1-inch shaft. The 5.25-inch hydro pullies with 1-inch bore are out there, but they tend to be expensive unless you get lucky. As has been previously mentioned, the smaller 8-speed pullies are fairly common. My Vanguard has a 1x3 inch PTO shaft, and it's plenty long enough for the bearing race on the WH PTO.

Many members here have done this same re-power with excellent results. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Don1977

I put my Vanguard in a 1977 C-120 you will have a lot more room in a C-125. There is no room to spare in a 120 everthing is tight. I believe my Vanguard had a !"x 3" long shaft.

I had to add 3/4" below the engine to get the shaft in the same place as the old solid mounted Kohler. Not sure if your Kohler with the shaker mount is the same height . my belt guard bolted up in the same hole.

There is one model Vanguard that comes with a 1 1/8" shaft that would make it easier to find the parts.

I did my conversion in 1990 with a 16 HP Vanguard changed to an 18 HP in 2010.

Here is a picture of the 18 HP.

IMGP1770.jpg

The exhaust side.

2009-06-05009.jpg

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Even if you wind up with a 1" shaft you can always sleeve it to 1 1/8. I did this to a k-301 with a 1" shaft worked great, I also had to make a custom key though as it needs to be 1/16 taller then standard to make up for the sleeve.

EdG.

You guys have some good looking horses there.

Looks like I need a Vanguard with a 3" long shaft.

I did not know that the drive pulley on a hydro was larger than the drive pulley on an 8 speed.

So a hydro drive pulley is 5.25" dia. what dia. is the 8 speed drive pulley?

And if my thinking is correct only the 8hp models had a 1" dia. shaft and all other hp models had a 1.125" dia. shaft.

Another question is: does the Vanguard keyed drive shaft have the drilled and tapped hole in the end of it like the Kohler had?

And do the Vanguard's spin up to the same RPM's as the Kohler?

Thanks!

Ed

kpinnc

Looks like I need a Vanguard with a 3" long shaft.

I did not know that the drive pulley on a hydro was larger than the drive pulley on an 8 speed.

So a hydro drive pulley is 5.25" dia. what dia. is the 8 speed drive pulley?

And if my thinking is correct only the 8hp models had a 1" dia. shaft and all other hp models had a 1.125" dia. shaft.

Another question is: does the Vanguard keyed drive shaft have the drilled and tapped hole in the end of it like the Kohler had?

And do the Vanguard's spin up to the same RPM's as the Kohler?

Pretty sure the manual tranny requires a 4-inch drive pulley. Many tractors used the 1-inch bore on the drive pullies, especially those with Briggs engines. Otherwise, you are correct. 8hp and less tractors usually had the correct pulley.

The Vanguard PTO shaft is normally keyed the same as any other, with a tapped hole in the end. Engine speed (3600 RPM max) is pretty much an industry standard, thought I would trust a stock Vanguard (or Kohler Command Twin) turning faster than I would a stock Kohler- even though Kohlers are by far my favorite engine.

You will also have to convert to magneto ignition, instead of coil and points. Biggest change is the key switch itself, as the rest is far simpler.

Don1977

I bought the 18 HP wired with switch on the engine. The wiring was long enough that it reached the switch location on my C-120 run the same way as original WH wiring.

EdG.

I have been checking Vanguard 18hp information and I can find in a keyed shaft that is 1.0" dia. x 2 29/32" long

or a 1.125" dia. x 4.0" long. (no 3.0" long shafts)

Wouldn't a 4" long shaft be too long?

Would the 2 29/32" shaft be too short?

Don1977

I don't see why the 4" long 1 1/8" won't work as long as you it's set up like the newer Wheel Horses with out the spring and thrust washers. My old Kohler measures 3 21/32" and it had a bolt screwed into the end of the shaft that made it at least 4" long.

The 1" - 2 29/32" is just 3/32" less than 3".