Sign in to follow this  
infernus

C160 Exhaust opinions

infernus

My C160 has a muffler that's been fixed (read: boogery, stick welds to fill rust holes smiley-rolleyes008.gif) way too many times. My question to you is, since I have access to an exhaust pipe bender (and obviously a MIG welder), should I try to replicate the OEM design, bend up a new system with fresh (and even stainless) steel, or buy a used one from some supplier or another member? And, if I go self-made, do I try to route the exhaust in the OEM location, somewhere down by the mower deck like a side pipe, out the back, or a stack? And, what muffler do you suggest? Or straight pipe and wear ear plugs?

Your opinions are appreciated and will be considered heavily with your input for reasons why.

Thanks.

Trouty56

Live in the country?? Straight pipe stack, stainless steel, outward bend at the top cut vertical to give that oblong opening look. Not too tall...maybe 12 - 14 inches..... No real reason other than "cool"

Live in town??? Well that sucks....

rmaynard

If you have the ability to replicate the entire OEM muffler in stainless steel, and it is reasonably priced, I would be your first of MANY customers. Even in regular steel, there is a market. OEM new (106918) from Toro is now about $170.00.

I am one of those who likes the design and look of the original muffler. Since I have a lot of low hanging branches where I use my tractors, a stack is out of the question, and if I run with just a straight pipe, the wife and neighbors tend to give me the evil eye.

• Like 1

JackC

I prefer the original look.

I would duplicate the original configuration but try to make it much quieter than the original.

infernus

Interesting... I didn't know you could get a new OEM muffler. Knowing that, I'll have no problem dissecting the original muffler to see what's inside. It is indeed pretty darned loud as it is.

Live in the country?? Straight pipe stack, stainless steel, outward bend at the top cut vertical to give that oblong opening look. Not too tall...maybe 12 - 14 inches..... No real reason other than "cool"

Live in town??? Well that sucks....

LOL, nice. I'm sure I'll have some pretty easy interchangability, since the exhaust more or less clamps on to the threaded pipe.

Ed Kennell

Go loud !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Definalty replicate as best as possible. The original is a nice low but loud tone. I do not have access to stainless thin enough or I would try also.

JamesBe1

I vote for stacks just because they look cool (see avatar).

darg

I have aC160. that needed a exaust. I went to tractor supply and bought a allis chambers exhaust muffler. the pipe isa tad larger,but you can weild it. Get a ext l bow to miss the hood , put a 1" ridget coupling in line so you can unscrew the muffler. It is quiter than the org one . I saw a el bow on e bay , you will also have toget a 1" nipple the right length. This also gets more exhaust gas off the valves.

bowtiebutler956

I'm a lover of stacks myself. :woohoo::twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-61801500-1344127648.jpg

• Like 1

darg

bowtie, is that your C160? Exhaust looks about loke mine. Nice looking tractor. I haven,t figuared out how to post a picture of mine on the form yet. darg

JamesBe1

I am a fan of stacks too. Be sure to use a rain cap. Besides keeping rain out if you happen to park it in the rain, it keeps small critters from building nests in there.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

bowtie, is that your C160? Exhaust looks about loke mine. Nice looking tractor. I haven,t figuared out how to post a picture of mine on the form yet. darg

Yes its mine, but its not a c-160, its a B-80 with a larger K-301 12hp Kohler on it. :thumbs:

can whlvr

i like stacks on show girls,not for working as i destroyed an elbow on my 321,got lucky it didnt break the block

infernus

I'm trying to figure out how I could route the pipe out the back like a car without it getting in the way of anything. Thats my latest tomfoolery anyways...

elicountryboy1996
On 8/4/2012 at 8:47 PM, bowtiebutler956 said:

I'm a lover of stacks myself. :woohoo::twocents-02cents:

What all parts do you need to make a exhaust system like is on your wheel horse? I want a side stack as well on mine