Sign in to follow this  
infernus

Need wheel bearings

infernus

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum...

I took one of the front wheels off my '77 C160 a couple days ago and took it into work to fix the pesky bead leak it's had for years. While fixing the bead leak, I noticed one of the bearings (looks like there's one on each end of the "hub" if you'd call it that) was in about 20 different pieces, balls every where, glitter in the grease, and all that was left attached to the wheel was the outer race. The opposite side looks ok, but I think if one is bad, I should replace them both on both wheels. I just hope the spindle is ok, I didn't inspect it that much.

I called a local small engine place about getting some new bearings, but he said I'd need to find the model number, he said it was sort of like a VIN, but not the serial number. Do you guys know anything about this?

Thanks!

TT

:WRS:

If the ID tag is still there, it will be located on the left side of the hoodstand, just below the gas tank tray.

Follow this LINK to an illustrated parts list - complete with wheel bearing part number. :handgestures-thumbup:

rmaynard

Wheel bearings are pretty inexpensive. They are available from Toro and many other tractor parts places. Just Google the part number 110513. The last ones that I got were good quality ones from my John Deere dealer for about $7.00. Have seen them on eBay and Amazon for a little as $3.50, but you get what you pay for.

Inside diameter is 3/4", outside is 1-3/8", height is 1/2". They have a flange on the outside edge. You don't have to replace them in pairs as long as the other one is okay.

infernus

I took the "good" bearing on the opposite side out with a drift & hammer. It seems to be ok, I know it's a low-speed application, but I'm a "while you're in there" kind of guy, so I'll be replacing both. I even got a little uptight and replaced the grease zirk in the hub. I suppose I'm envisioning flawless, appliance-like reliability when I'm done doing a thorough once-over on the 'Horse. After 35 years, who knows what needs to be adressed, I was only really around the old gal for the last honest 22 years (I was born in '83), and only witnessed some of the butchery and shade-tree shenanigans of my father and grandfather.

• Like 1

infernus

I found the model number... It's a 4 digit number just below the serial number. It's 6191, whatever that means. Still a C160 to me...

And thanks for the pointers! I'm hoping to get the bearings all replaced so I can get the mower deck off and figure out what's all broken on the lift mechanism.

TT

The model number is at the top of the ID tag and will be something like 61-16KS01.

6191 is the actual build date = 191st day of 1976