Sign in to follow this  
Liquid Gardener

Hi from Liquid Gardener

Liquid Gardener

Just found this UK site... I was the editor of UK Horse Sense and ran UK Wheel Horse organisation for 16 years. Did you know there is a Harkness Rose named after Wheel Horse? It's called Wheel Horse Classic.... Beautiful bright red hybrid tea. Sorry I missed the UK meet, if it happened... bought a 1989 312-8 Classic and exchanged deck for a 36" RD mower deck, now under restoration Just acquired 50" mid mount grader blade, not many sold in UK. For those anoraks amongst us... The oldest Wheel Horse tractor ever brought into the UK was a R57 with a Clinton engine, i broughtmit in from Belgium (Amnir) now held by a collector in Downham Market.

Liquid Gardener

Sorry think it was a Lauson engine... Not Clinton.

Sparky

:WRS:

Are your WH groups still active?

Mike............

AMC RULES

Hi LG.

Liquid Gardener

Hi... Wheel Horse set up their own company/organisation in the UK in 1985. UK owners club.. is new to me.. But certainly overdue.

Thanks for welcome....

neil

Welcome to Redsquare L G good to have another UK member here .

i live in the next county from you in Somerset ,

sorry you missed the first UK wheelhorse get together last week At Ardingly sussex , apart from the weather it was a real good show

meadowfield

Welcome to the group ! sounds like we might learn a lot from you :)

mark

wheeledhorseman

:WRS: from another of your 'next door' counties - Hampshire.

BTW given your impressive knowledge of UK WH history, are you able to confirm something I picked up from a guy who worked in the dealership network that there were only 20 D-200 tractors imported to the UK?

Andy

Liquid Gardener

Hi Andy.... D200 - before my time, as WH were originally represented by G.D.Mountfield when they we based at Maidenhead.. But I would think that a qty of 20 would be about right. But I'll see if I can find out any more of an accurate figure.

darren

Welcome, it's good to see the Euro ranks swelling. I'll have to introduce the Harkness Rose you mention to our garden, I had no idea..

I'm pretty sure one of my tractors still has it's original G.D. Mountfield plate on it!

Darren

Liquid Gardener

Just checked with my pal in the US who worked in the service dept at WH in South Bend and is now with TORO as a MNager in Technical Product Support, he reckons 20 is about right - he also went onto say that WH also produced the D160 and D180 models, I am not aware of these being imported.

meadowfield

D-160's were imported - I have a mate up in Scarborough with one...

between us all, we can do a pretty good job of mapping out things! :)

Anglo Traction

Hi Liquid Gardener , Just to add my welcome and great to have another UK Member to swell the 'Euro' ranks with this 'Pleasant' addiction. Any contribution of knowledge you can offer will be greatly received.

Regards.

WH Raider10

Hello,

Nice to have you aboard sir! Can you find out if they ever imported round hood models like RJ-58's to Belgium?

Regards,

P-J from Belgium

Liquid Gardener

Hi... The RJ 57 which I imported from Oevel, was sold into the Belgium market, so later model 58 would for sure have been sold.

Main change I recall was the engine, moving from a

Lauson to a Clinton I believe...

There was a book - now out of print - Straight from the Horses Mouth. The Wheel Horse Story, by a Wheel Horse enthusiast,

Michael A Martino Jr. Great read, the full story of Wheel Horse from the first tractor in 1947, through to the sale of the Company

To John Munn investment group in 1982. Try e bay in the US, they occasionally come up for sale. :-)

neil

I have the book that you mension both 1 & 2nd edition tis a great book and weel worth a reading

the Rj 58 was also sold here in UK but not many seem to have survived to this day & i only know of a few UK originals

kpthorsefan

I have the book that you mension both 1 & 2nd edition tis a great book and weel worth a reading

the Rj 58 was also sold here in UK but not many seem to have survived to this day & i only know of a few UK originals

I also have a 1st edition copy and it is indeed a great read.. :) .

Stigian

Hi Liquid Gardener, welcome to RS. It's good to have another euro member aboard..

wh1257

:wwp: :flags-wavegreatbritain:

I will see pics of the 312 and the rj 57 :thanks:

farmer