Forest Road

My $30 CL chipper

Forest Road

I picked this up a couple years ago. With the need to remove 20 or so dying balsams at the get away house its time to get to work. I used an old mule drive on the front tatchamatic. I was going to fab something to go to the mid hitch. Upon entering my shed i saw a 48" deck suspension sitting in the corner. It was just the right length!!! Picked up a scag idler pulley a little time with a grinder on some angle iron and the welder and BAM!!! Broke out the wire wheel for a quality "sanding" followed by Rustoleum IH Red.

I was testing my newly acquired 1975 C 160. Aside from the oil leaks it ran fine.Probably ran about 3/4 throttle. The chipper takes 3.5" branches with ease. And most of this stuff is so dead the shredder hopper can handle 1.5" This was about a 30' balsam I limbed and shredded in 20 - 30 minutes. Beats either renting a real chipper or hauling all these trees to the dump. I have no doubt that this chipper will work just fine on my 312 as well. I couldn't be happier with this setup!!!!

2012-07-09_17-15-10_10.jpg

• Like 2

can whlvr

:thumbs:

smoreau

Nice find! Looks like it works great! Like to find one like that.

3238dpw

Do you have any more pics of this setup? I would really like some close ups of the attachment point as I have a similar chipper to hook up and i am looking for ideas. Thanks

Forest Road

Do you have any more pics of this setup? I would really like some close ups of the attachment point as I have a similar chipper to hook up and i am looking for ideas. Thanks

Welcome to Red Square! Where are you in NJ?

No prob. The most important part is lining up with the pto. These are all the photos I have at the moment. Its sitting in NY state so it'll be a bit before I'm back there. Once I had the mule drive on I propped some wood under it to get it level. And then set the mid hitch attachment in place. I had to cut one side of the 1/4" round bar shorter to accomodate the shipper.

Good luck

Kevin

2012-06-15_16-17-06_125.jpg

2012-06-16_17-27-04_422.jpg

• Like 3

Forest Road

Found another one from a couple years ago. This is the same chipper. This idler set up didn't work well at all. And the shipper was held up by the belt. The location of the mule drive hasn't changed at all. Hope it helps.

100819_3124.jpg

Lane Ranger

Very nice $30 purchase!

I bought mine for a little more but it was only used 3 times. Even though they painted them green this was sold as a Wheel Horse attachment by MacKissic as a Mighty Mac and they still make them on wheels with a motor attached. No longer as a tractor attachment. This was purchased new in 1973 for a Raider 12 wheel horse bought by someone in Indianapolis, Indiana for chopping up his garden plant waste and corn stalks.

100_8343.jpg

100_8793.jpg

Here is a picture of th front piece that attaches in the front of the wheel horse to the two front holes in the tractor frame and then to the Mighty Mac hammermill chipper.

100_8345.jpg

• Like 1

M886

That looks like an excellent find and great hookup.

Looks like it will work a lot better then my Bolens. & L@@Ks way cooler.

3238dpw

Thanks for the pics guys. Forest Road, I live in central NJ right by Great Adventure. Where do you live?

tech270154

i would like to know  how high you have to rev the engine to make the chipper efficiently ,without  making these older engine tired

thanks guys for all the answers

gwest_ca

They want the Mighty Mac shredder running at 1800 rpm + or - 200 rpm but you would not want to run the engine that slow.

Garry

Forest Road

Typically 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. Doesn't seem to bog down on a 14 hp magnum.

I had a regular Mighty Mac w Intek 10hp. That bogged constantly

Edited by Forest Road