radarme

Tecumseh H55D rebuild?

Fordiesel69

Locally it is 60 per hole unless 4 or more holes then it is 50. Valve grind with seat grind runs 15 each.

woodchuckfarmer

The last bore job i got done was $80.00 bucks...The valve job was $ 20.00...But thats up here in north centeral Pa

>>>>hope this helps.................Wayne

radarme

I've got all the parts except a correct crankshaft. The one I found, ordered and received was mislabeled. The journal on mine is what is worn. I talked to a guy in St Louis the other day that told me about a machine shop that can weld up the jounal and then machine it down to spec size.... Anyone here have any experience with that process.... Is it a good solution?

Fordiesel69

Typically it weakens the fillet. Not sure on the tech;s but on kohler I have read about failures.

What about having it ground 0.20 under and having the rod machined undersized?

radarme

Typically it weakens the fillet. Not sure on the tech;s but on kohler I have read about failures.

What about having it ground 0.20 under and having the rod machined undersized?

I'm a newby to this engine rebuilding...... but how do you machine a rod undersized? I know with some engines you can buy an undersized rod, and that would allow you to take the journal down but that was not an option with these motors. Can you weld it up and then machine it undersized?

sorekiwi

Not too sure on the specifics for a Tecumseh rod, but generally the process involves facing the mating surface of the rod cap so that you end up with a smaller (but egg shaped) bore, and then reboring this round again to the size they were looking for.

I havent ever had a crank journal welded and then reground, but I have talked to a lot of people who have. I think if you have it done by the right people it works out fine. What you have to watch for is distortion of the crank caused by the welding process, the heat can cause the crank to distort (I actually think it "relaxes") and the main bearing journals may not be quite inline anymore. A good shop will allow for this and know how to compensate.

We dont do crankshafts at work, but we do a lot of other types of shafts in a similar fashion, and it is very rare to have a "problem child" emerge.

As always it comes down to finding the right person to do the job.

farmerall

Have you finished rebuilding your engine? I am asking because I am going to also be rebuilding a H55 from my 551 soon.

limited12

i would also like to know how the rebuild worked out, just picked up a 551 and it looks like it will need a rebuild, any help would be great

radarme

I have not been able to find the correct crankshaft. I searched pretty hard for a few weeks, but no luck.

Callen

Maybe check with some speed shops in your area to see if any of them can get the crank built up with chrome and turned to stock spec. You could use the crank from H50 as long as you use the H50 rod with the slinger. You can also use an H60 crank,rod and piston. They share the same bore. The H60 has 1/4" more stroke so, the rod and piston has to be used,too.

trainman
I have a H55D tecumseh motor and the tip is broke off anyone know where I can get a used crankshaft? will a H50 or H60 crank work I have searched around for a crank with no luck I think it's the 29522 one.