dbartlett1958

416-H Not Charging

Ed Kennell

Forgot to tell you it is an ampmeter not voltmeter that shows no life.

Got the switch out. It has 4 positions , 5 lugs and marked INDAR Pat. no 2868906.

five lugs viewed from the lug side of switch.

2 3

4 5 1 has no mark

2 is marked A

3 has no mark

4 is marked M

5 is marked C or G ?

Also found I have + 15 VDC between wire from B+ lug on RR to Neg. on battery ?????? wiyh switch in run position.

Gotta go to an auction at 1PM to try to buy a tiller. Will continue later.

Save Old Iron

Ed,

you said this was a Wheel Horse C-160 ? Kohler K engine with coil based ignition?

If so, you have the wrong ignition switch. The "M" and "G" markings on the switch are unique to a magneto based ignition, not a coil based system.

Below is the classic wiring for a C-160 w/ coil ignition

47b14aef.gif.

Thanks for getting back to me about the 30 + VAC from the stator - that is good news as all charging starts from that point. Something had to be up with the multimeter as those readings were not believable.

Next we need to confirm

1) the battery voltage is around the 12.6 VDC level.

and

2) the correct ignition switch is in use for this engine.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thks for your help SOI.

The battery is ~ 12.6 after subtracting 3 volts for VOM zero correction.

Will look for new ign sw and RR and correct PO,s wiring.

Will be off line till Sunday-- headin for the beach house in ten minutes--- no WI FI there.

Ed

Ed Kennell

:bow-blue: :woohoo::techie-eureka: :techie-eureka: You the MAN SOI,

I found a 103990 switch in my C-101.

Removed allll the wiring from PO, and rewired from scratch per your above diagram.

Everything works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RR was not fried, It's putting out 14.5 VDC @ 1/2 throttle, with ampmeter showing +10A.

My C-160 and I thank you for sharing your expertice.

Save Old Iron

You are welcome sir.

The right parts connected in the right configuration are always a winning combination. Thanks for getting back to me on the final outcome. So many times times, the ultimate ending to these adventures evaporate and we never hear about the end result.

Well done Ed.

Print out your SOI U diploma and display it with pride. You have earned it.

c6bc1ea3.gif

Save Old Iron

Yesterday I installed the new regulator on my 416-H and am happy to report that all is as it should be. I now have a working charging system, putting out about 14.5 volts at 1/2 throttle and above. I left the additional ground wire in place with the new regulator as well, figuring it can only help.

Thanks again for all the help with this issue.

David

Thanks David for starting a great thread and finishing off by getting back to the group. Sharing your success story in repairing the charging system on the 416-H will help others in the future.

A little something for your workshop wall (in case - like others - you have to somehow justify your tractor antics with family or friends)

16f847d5.gif.

dbartlett1958

Chuck,

Thank you for the education and the "Diploma" to go with it. I printed it out and have it on my office wall. I'm sure it will get some funny looks from folks who wouldn't understand.

David

• Like 1

GAJoe

I have another of these with an added twist. The owner of a 416-H with around 450 hours went to cut his grass and there was no power to anything. He offered to sell as is for $600.

He found the 30 amp fuse blown and a wire melted (he didn't say which wire) and replaced both. Following that it starts and runs. He just contacted me a says that he went to cut grass and noticed that it's not charging; said that I could have it for $700 as is.

I'm thinking that because it starts and runs that I could check the stator by reading the AC from it and if it's good then a voltage rectifier/regulator or wiring problem shouldn't be too expensive to fix. Am I correct?

I will find out which wire got too hot and was replaced. The fuse isn't blowing now. Could the fuse blowing have been when the voltage rectifier/regulator failed but not since being replaced? Or is there still a different issue short awaiting me?

This 416-H is in very good condition and Wheel Horse tractors are hard to find down here in GA. Do I want this tractor with the Onan parts availability issues rather than wait for a good old Kohler? This is far more power than I need to cut my 1/3 acre. I was looking for a 312-8 to have enough power if the grass got high but simpler to troubleshoot and repair with parts availability.

Thanks for your responses,

Joe

lynnmor

It might be as simple as the battery cable has a poor connection causing the 30 amp fuse and wire to carry a heavy load.  There are only a few parts and you mentioned them, so get the tractor and make the repairs.  Parts are out there for the Onan.

GAJoe

It was a fuse replaced to an empty spot on the fuse block. I rode it around and was ready to close the deal when he told me to turn the headlights on and it killed the engine without blowing a fuse. It wouldn't restart.

lynnmor
4 hours ago, GAJoe said:

It was a fuse replaced to an empty spot on the fuse block. I rode it around and was ready to close the deal when he told me to turn the headlights on and it killed the engine without blowing a fuse. It wouldn't restart.

People do all kinds of stupid things with wiring, if you want a tractor like that just buy it and undo the stupid nonsense.