Sign in to follow this  
wh416lbz

Wh 416 onan trouble?

wh416lbz

Just picked up 416-8 . I'm having trouble with the onan ! It runs put the throttle pulses. I adjusted the screw on carb in and out with no results at all. Went threw the carb and cleaned it. Is this a air issue? Like manifold? Just trying to get a start in the right direction. By the way I switched from cub cadets to wheel horse and I love it! Thanx to everyone

ericj

sounds like the main jet in the carb has dirt in it, or bad gas. pull the top of the carb and the bolt off the one side to gain access to the main jet. some time you can run a tank of fresh gas through and get it to work, but not always

eric

Hodge71

416LBZ, I concur with Erics assesment, if its "hunting", its in need of a good cleaning. I know it says you went thru it and gave it a good cleaning but that means different thing to different people. Try heading to a local auto parts store and pick up a can of Seafoam and mixing it double strong with some high octane gas. We use Hi Test because unlike 87 octane it is still a TIER 1 fuel which means no corn alcohol in it to screw things up inside our carbs. I would also change the fuel lines and filter. It has nothing to do with your carb problem but there are a few things we all do when we get a new horse in the stable. Oil and filter change, hydro oil and filter change if its a hydro drive unit, gear lube change if its a gear tranny ( which yours is ) and new fuel lines and filter. If after running a tank of fuel /Seafoam thru it, its not better, you will probably have to buy a rebuild kit and actually tear the carb down and go from there. :wwp:

Good luck and WELCOME TO :rs:

JackC

Did you soak the carburetor in carburetor cleaner? If not there could still be varnish in it plugging the passages?

With ethanol in the fuel these days we all need to know how to thoroughly clean carburetors.

The stabilizers do not always work.

The ethanol absorbs moisture and turns to snot.

Fuel will deposit varnish in the passages over time if it sits in the carburetor even without ethanol in it.

Let us know how you make out.

Kelly

Ok it probably is the carb, but, if that does not work, try some spray carb cleaner when it is running around the base of the intake manifold, you did put new gaskets there right? I know to pull the carb you have to remove the intake, when spraying the carb cleaner see if it changes the way it runs, if it does you have a vacuum leak, the Onan intakes are two piece also it is not real common but I have seen it, they leak where the top and bottom of the intake are sealed, spray carb clean along that line also, try not to spray so hard that the mist goes in the carb that will give you a false reading.

wh416lbz

Thank you everyone for the help. I'm going to work on it tonight . I just wanted to say thank you and this forum has the best people so far I've talked to. Really down to earth.

wh416lbz

just wanted to let everyone know that the motor is up and running perfect now. i put two new intake gaskets on it and that was it. ;)

546cowboy

Here is what I have done with those carbs where you have to take the intake off to get the carb off to disassemble. Take the top of the carb off, remove the gas and any dirt you can, then I take the carb cleaner you soak a carb in and fill the float bowl with that and let it sit overnight. Then remove the cleaner the next day and use spray carb cleaner, fill the bowl and reassemble the carb. Most times that will save you from having to remove the intake and carb. You should also do the new fuel and filter replacement too.

Well now I see I was a little late with the above help but maybe it will help someone else some time. It has worked for me in the past.

varosd

I agree with all of the above! Onans and the carbs they came with can be finicky, but worth the trouble. clean everything to include gas tank all the way to the carb. I ended up replacing fuel lines/ gas filters (cheap fix) clean out gas tank etc. got to know eveything on my 520-H real quick also with all the advice from Red Square!! :D

also :wwp: and :WRS:

gomer gump

had the same problem with my 520,s ,all i did was buy a can of sea foam , start the motor , get it to idol temp choke the carb out with sea foam till it stalls the motor, let it set for half hr statr it up it,ll run like a dream after that it will smoke alot when you first start it but both of my 520,s cleared right up no more surgeing my old wheel horse mech buddy showed me this it works good luck

• Like 1

jmunzke

I tried Gomer's Seafoam fix and it worked great. I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to understanding my Onan so easy advice like that is appreciated.