Martin

picked up a c-125 today......

whfan74

being a big shop, we dont really have the time to mess around fixing parts, everything we process from our big customers is new material. maybe scott (whfan74) would have a better idea of what the small guys charge, he has somebody that does powder for him....

as far as area of the country, that would depend on that areas labor costs, and wages paid.

Martin.....

First off the tractor is looking amazing!!!

To answer your question about powder coating. I take my stuff to a small ma and pop business. They simply blast, clean, and then powder with no body work. That is why if you look at our machines you can see some flaws that we didn't catch before we dropped off the parts. Needless to say our Commando 8 with belly blade to have blasted and powdered cost us $170. For what you get, you just can't beat it. My kids love to play on the tractors so the cost and durability is a no brainer to me.

Martin

thanks for all the great comments on my quick redo.........

got the woodruff keys today so the hubs and wheels went on.. the keyway in one of the hubs is a little widened out near the outside of the hub, but right where the key sits its ok so i saved a hub for another day. the other one was fine. on this rebuild im cutting a few corners and skipping over stuff i would normally take care of on one of my rebuilds. i would like to use this as a worker and the primary reason for pulling it apart was to get it into 'usable' condition. fix the hoodstand and any other butchered stuff.

the front end spindles are a little worn in the axle, but i think they will be ok for the use i will be giving it. the axle is tight in the frame, so i just left it alone...... same with the tires, i think i can get some more life out of them so there being used again.....

some of this stuff might get fixed at a later date, just cant justify the extra time to make everything as new........

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

also got the engine cleaned up and painted. quick job, degreased and cleaned all the crap off it, gave it a good dose of brake cleaner and then wiped it down with thinners before painting it with black engine enamel. i really dont like painting with the duplicolor engine enamel with ceramic, hard to get an even coat on the kohlers with all their nooks and crannies. get one side good and overspray everywhere on another. i used a heat gun to flow it out a little, and this also helped bring out even gloss everywhere. quick job and good enough for this build, the tins will be getting powdercoated because thats easier and quicker than messing around like i did on the block. i just need to bead blast them and powdercoat them, will be a nicer finish too......

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

need to fix this butchering first though before painting the tins......

IMG_1095.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Looking Good! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Terry M

Looking good Martin, That must be nice to have access to the powder coating and your stuff always looks good with it. keep up the good work!! :) :thumbs:

WH Raider10

Martin,

I've got no words for it! That looks so great and that in such a short time! :)

P-J

ol550

:scratchead: Have you ever just stood back and looked at something and asked " would it be better to find one in better shape to work with"?IMG_1080.jpg :dunno:

Rooster

You should see the 551 I'm gonna restore. Lol

tommyg

I'm watching this post with interest since my first WH was a C125. Sold it about a year ago and since I know the people I sold it to, I visit every so often to make sure they're keeping up with the maintenance. They think I'm nuts! Nice work!

Martin

:scratchead: Have you ever just stood back and looked at something and asked " would it be better to find one in better shape to work with"?IMG_1080.jpg:dunno:

yeah, but then id have this one laying around, and it would become the 'i will use that one day part....' and will always be in my way. if i fix it then its on the tractor, it didnt cost me anything but time and plus i dont have any money left for a hood anyway because i had to buy a seat for somebodys tractor.......... :hide:

bowtiebutler956

:scratchead: Have you ever just stood back and looked at something and asked " would it be better to find one in better shape to work with"?IMG_1080.jpg:dunno:

yeah, but then id have this one laying around, and it would become the 'i will use that one day part....' and will always be in my way. if i fix it then its on the tractor, it didnt cost me anything but time and plus i dont have any money left for a hood anyway because i had to buy a seat for somebodys tractor.......... :hide:

:ROTF: :ROTF: Yeah, you did the right thing though, just like the song says "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy". :ychain: I will be looking forward to seeing how that hood turns out. :thumbs:

Martin

daily update.....

fixed the butchered shroud, blasted and painted the tins at work today. assembled the majority of the engine and threw it on the tractor........

dont like the isolator mounts, they suck. might need to replace one or two mounts at a later date,

man, the front bolts that go through the frame are hard to get in with the front axle there......

here you go, more pics.........

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Very nice eye candy! :jaw::bow-blue:

rwilson

You should see the 551 I'm gonna restore. Lol

LMFAO you wanted it!! Its no worse than my 400 was.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

As always,Looking great Martin! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

Martin

the engine in this thing wasnt running and while the bore looked good along with the top end, i never bothered to pull the oil pan and check out the bottom end just for piece of mind. the engine wasnt noisy turning over by hand but if you stopped turning abruptly and start again to see if theres any rod noise there was really more noise than i would like. just didnt sound right.....

so this morning i decided to pull the engine, mount it on the engine stand and pull the pan. the inside looked great, rod felt ok but the grenade gears were real loose, so they got pulled, then it got put back together and back on the tractor.......

i feel happier knowing that a potential problem has been taken care of....

engine has been slowly growing parts over the last couple of days. most of it is just cleaned up stuff that was on it, the fuel pump was the only thing i separated and looked inside, just as well as it was rusty in there......

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Grenade Gears. :ROTF: I threw mine in the trash too. The black engine on that bright red chassis really looks sharp! :jaw: Was the engine black from the factory on the Black Hoods?

Martin

yes, factory. thats the reason i did the trans black too, i thought the two big mechanical pieces should be the same. ive changed the colors of a few other parts as well, just to mix it up a bit.....

bowtiebutler956

yes, factory. thats the reason i did the trans black too, i thought the two big mechanical pieces should be the same. ive changed the colors of a few other parts as well, just to mix it up a bit.....

Works for me, I think its great when we personalize our machines a little. I think you made the right choice, and it really works for the :wh: ! :thumbs:

Martin

some more progress from today.......

very happy with how it runs, had trouble with coils, had to mix and match a bit, also threw on a carb thats been sitting for a while. doesnt run too bad though!!

th_IMG_1107.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Thats great news! So, have you started straightening the hood out yet, or are you ignoring it for the time being?

Martin

no time yet, no time.....

but its going to be soon.......

neil

that Engine sounds sweet in the Video Martin

smoreau

So is this one going to the Charlotte show? Will they all fit in the trailer?

Martin

no scott, i dont think this one will make it. it will be close, but i dont have the room for it. kent likes the hydros better so i need to take one (875 or 1277) plus i want to bring the 1054 and the just finished 1057. this one being an 8 speed is going to get left out this time.......

it might make the indiana show though.......

Martin

that Engine sounds sweet in the Video Martin

yes neil, i am really happy with the way the engine sounds. totally different with the front muffler than the others i have. i think i did well again for picking up a non runner, no weird noises and doesnt look like any smoke issues either......

not sold on the iso mount system, this thing shakes a lot when starting and when shutting off. a couple of the mounts look a little tired, maybe need to be replaced when i can get over the cost of them.....