Martin

picked up a c-125 today......

bowtiebutler956

Go Martin Gooooo! :teasing-poke::woohoo: :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

Martin

i did say that the next pics might be of it all apart. so here you go.......

this is all that remains of the tractor from when it was pushed to this spot the night i got it.

IMG_0982.jpg

at the moment theres parts everywhere, i went in to work at 4 am friday and spent 2 hours blasting and painting the frame and most of the small stuff.

im going to do a quick job on this one, not replacing every single part that isnt as nice as it could be. as long as individual parts function how they should, there just getting cleaned up and painted, no worrying about smoothing cast surfaces or filling rust pitting. the most amount of time im going to spend will be on the sheetmetal, getting the hoodstand fitting right and the hood straightened.

the powdercoat is a no brainer for me, its quick and easy.....

the sheetmetal is much easier to work on when its clean and not covered in oil, grease or lawn cuttings/dirt etc. so im stripping everything and blasting, then straightening and paint. i decided that rather than just paint the pieces that need fixing, and have patchy looking new/old paint, i would just paint everything. the frame was done friday as i said earlier, but the hoodstand and a few other pieces that still needed reworking were just blasted and brought home to get better for paint....

heres a few more pics.....

i spent roughly 5 hours today on the hoodstand and related sheetmetal, the before pics showed how badly it was fitting, so i had to get the panel joins all sorted, and weld up some cracking, damaged ends where the fuel tank/seat bracket bolts on and the broken lower piece that holds the two sides together. the dash and belt/side covers were beaten and straightened to fit the hoodstand side pieces. the biggest problem with the hoodstand sides was the bends werent anywhere near 90 degrees, once that was taken care of, things started to fit with each other again. all nice and straight now and stronger too. added a couple extra holes to bolt up the belt guard and left cover firmer to the hoodstand, also added two lower holes in the i.d. cover plate. the holes are already in the flange on the hoodstand sides but not used on the cover plate. i thought the extra fastening might stiffen the assembly up a little more....

frame with hoodstand sides bolted on, getting them looking better.....

IMG_0980.jpg

put two extra bolt fixings here (bolt head on the left of pic, and drilled hole on right), to strengthen the whole assembly some. these and the extra two bolts in the i.d. tag plate panel should tighten things up nicely....

the ones in the pic below are a little hard to get to if you need to remove the belt guard or left cover, but with a socket extension from underneath should be easy enough. how often do you really remove these covers anyway?.....

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

getting close now, just a bit more welding. the dash was fitting great by this pic too, not sure why i didnt get a pic of the whole assembly, brain fart maybe....

i think i assembled and disassembled the whole thing at least 10 times getting the panel joins right between the hoodstand/covers/dash/foot boards.....

still needed the rear of the hoodstand where the seat bracket/gas tank bolts on repaired in this pic.....

IMG_0985.jpg

all ready for paint....

IMG_0987.jpg

then i turned my attention to the bracket that bolts to the trans and supports the seat pan. this thing was twisted, leaned over, out of square and cracked in the bottom too. got the bends back square first, then straightened the bottom and then welded up the crack, which with all the beating getting done was getting even bigger......

IMG_0986.jpg

this box has about 50 pounds of goodies all painted up and ready for assembly, most of the tractors smaller brackets and parts i just blasted and painted and boxed them up together ready for reassembly......

IMG_0988.jpg

i just feel really blessed to be able to powdercoat at work, its not a 'show' quality finish, but has a nice gloss and is durable. what other paint type is there that allows you to take a freshly blasted part, paint directly to metal, and be fully cured and at almost max durability within 2 hours of painting? if i was better organized, i think i could paint every piece of this thing, if it was already blasted, and have the parts cool enough to start assembly within 3 hours of starting to paint the first piece. masking of the smaller pieces is what takes time, you dont want to have to be spending time grinding this stuff out of anywhere you dont want it. after my next batch of parts i should have only the hood and some engine parts to paint. its going to be fun just assembling one piece after another.......

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Wow, thats what I call progress! When i said go Martin go, I'd didn't mean you had to go that fast! :ychain: You are blessed to have access to powder coating the way you do. It's got to be nice to be able to assemble so quickly ater painting, and to know its a good tough finish. :text-datsphatyo:

dclarke

Martin, you don't mess around once you start on something, that's for sure. :thumbs:

Jake Kuhn

Wow,that is some fast work! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

AMC RULES

Planning to powder the hood, then paint the black Martin?

Martin

Planning to powder the hood, then paint the black Martin?

hood will get powdered red, the black im still undecided on whether it will be done in powder or wet....

Don1977

Looks like someone rolled this one in the past. :confusion-seeingstars: Love the Black Hood! They look tough just sitting there.

That what I was thinking " been rolled". Like a black hood, but I would put a C-style rear fender on it. Don't like the looks of the plastic rear fender.

• Like 1

Martin

bit more done....

cleaned up a 8 speed i had laying around and rattle canned it black. the 8 speed that came with this has some serious leaking from seals, so rather than pull it down and rebuild it, i substituted the other one, which i know is good to go.

since the engine is black in these tractors, i decided to go with black for the trans too, i think it will look ok, plus i have plenty of rattle can black and only one can of resto red that i want to use elsewhere.....

IMG_1005.jpg

also pulled the engine down to have a peek inside. carb was broken at the flange so im not sure how well it would have run. will need to use a spare carb that will get rebuilt......

looks like somebody has been messing with it as theres other damage too, bent choke plate, broken off choke shaft screw, bent idle speed screw, plus the side of the carb looks like somebody hit it with a hammer...... :confusion-scratchheadblue: pity about the damage, throttle shaft is tight and looks really clean inside, how can people be so stupid.....

not sure what this carb is, looks almost exactly the same as the carter except for the extra raised up area between the aircleaner flange and high speed needle, has the '26' inside the venturi though....

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

muffler still looks good, from the date on it looks to be the original one, doesnt rattle or sound loose inside, so i will glass bead it and paint it high temp black...

IMG_0995.jpg

engine itself looks to be in good condition, looks like standard bore, no ridge to speak of and not much carbon buildup, the bore has no unusual scoring or marks, looks maybe just a little glazed, but i think it will be fine for a good runner, turns over with no out of the ordinary noises, will check out the bottom end and put a set of gaskets in it, then some black paint....

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

also got the tires off the rims so i can powder them. theres a bit of cracking on the sidewalls, but they still have more life left in them, some millers tire paint made them look a lot better.....

IMG_1006.jpg

• Like 1

ol550

Now go back in the house and spend some time with your wife and son before

we see all your hard work in a craigslist ad. :handgestures-thumbup: Mike

• Like 2

Martin

actually, im inside with kent and the wife is out working, shes on call this weekend.... :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

The bore looks great in the K301. I think the transaxle will look good in Black, and the tires look fantastic! :text-datsphatyo: That poor carburetor looks like it had a whole team of morons working on it. :banghead: " Say Cletus, all you need to fix that carburetor is a bigger hammer. Well then pass one over Billy Bob." :ROTF:

• Like 1

Martin

yeah matt, im a little pissed about the carb, i have spares, so its not like i need to buy another from somewhere, but i just dont understand how some people think sometimes. ive broken my fair share of parts, but all of this just looks like blatant half a**ed stupidity.....

this one is the first ive ever got that the throttle shaft wasnt loose, but i guess that really doesnt matter now though......

Wyattrrp

Martin

You have made amazing progress in such a short time period. I am partial of the Black Hoods, having bought my first WH in '81 choosing the C-125 8speed over JD at that time and it is still one of my workers. I do agree it appears that this one took a roll or 2 to screw up that dash so badly and that carb is a sad case. I noticed you were smart and in your July 4th series of dissasembly pics in the last one, I see you had it pretty much stripped it to frame and still had the deck mounted, just in case the backyard needed a touchup :ROTF: . Just throw a seat on and GO!

We are envious of your powder coat access and I for one am envious of the energy you have to dig into this one so fast.

It will be a great asset within a few more days. Good luck !!

Go Black Hoods!

Wyatt

• Like 1

Martin

Looks like someone rolled this one in the past. :confusion-seeingstars: Love the Black Hood! They look tough just sitting there.

That what I was thinking " been rolled". Like a black hood, but I would put a C-style rear fender on it. Don't like the looks of the plastic rear fender.

Martin

You have made amazing progress in such a short time period. I am partial of the Black Hoods, having bought my first WH in '81 choosing the C-125 8speed over JD at that time and it is still one of my workers. I do agree it appears that this one took a roll or 2 to screw up that dash so badly and that carb is a sad case. I noticed you were smart and in your July 4th series of dissasembly pics in the last one, I see you had it pretty much stripped it to frame and still had the deck mounted, just in case the backyard needed a touchup :ROTF: . Just throw a seat on and GO!

We are envious of your powder coat access and I for one am envious of the energy you have to dig into this one so fast.

It will be a great asset within a few more days. Good luck !!

Go Black Hoods!

Wyatt

i was looking at the dash and hood today and i think that something heavy fell on it and pushed everything over. i dont think it was rolled, other than the hoodstand damage, the steering wheel and hood dented on the top theres not much other damage at all. i think if it had rolled there would be more sideways damage to the hood, whereas its all from above, like something heavy fell on it.

from these pics you can see that all the damage is on the top right corner of the hood where it fits to the dash and the steering wheel rim is damaged where it might have been in the same area if the wheel was turned in that position at the time.....

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

COMMANDO6

Wow, That was fast! You'll have that one working in no time.

312Hydro

Looking great Martin.You are right about being blessed with the powder coat. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Martin

just got home, put in nearly 15 hours today, painted a whole bunch more parts, boss wanted me to work for him also, so i had to get in at least my normal 8-9 hours working :angry-cussingblack: as well as doing the wheelhorse stuff......

so heres the 'haul' from today, pretty happy with this lot, turned out good for the amount of time put in, it all looked like crap paint and rust this morning.........

really looking forward to putting all this plus the box of stuff i did the other day together, its going to be just like christmas...... :icecream:

IMG_1007.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

For restoration purposes, could you give a rough estimate of how much it should cost for both materials and time to powder coat an entire tractor Martin? Do you think it would vary much depending on the area of the country your from?

Do you have any experience with the do it yourself at home kits offered by companies such as Eastwood? Provided the parts are prepped the same, using one, would we see the same results you're showing us here?

bowtiebutler956

Martin, you should have named this thread "Rapid Restore"!!! :jaw: Its looking fantastic, and I love the way you layed it all out for display puposes. :text-datsphatyo: It looks like Candy!! Its sad, even your quick resto's that you don't take alot of time on look better than my best. :bow-blue:

Martin

craig, it depends on what sort of quality you want, if you just want a walk in, drop the parts off, then blast the parts and paint without fixing any rough areas or damage, then i would say where i work would probably charge at least $750. probably on the low side there as well, theres a lot of parts in a tractor, as most of us know.

on this c125 i probably have 10 hours in blasting and paint already and i still have the hood, engine tins, lift arm, and a few misc. things to do. im going to say i will have at least 15 in it by the time im done. our labor rate varies between $75- $90 an hour so that would run way over $1000. usually a lot charge of about the $750 would be more economical. still way too much for me for just paint........

theres probably about 5-8 lbs of powder in this one, our case red is about $6.00 lb so say roughly $50 for paint, then theres the blast media, which i have no idea what that costs, not my department......

being a big shop, we dont really have the time to mess around fixing parts, everything we process from our big customers is new material. maybe scott (whfan74) would have a better idea of what the small guys charge, he has somebody that does powder for him....

as far as area of the country, that would depend on that areas labor costs, and wages paid. big cities demand higher wages, hence higher costs.......

i dont have any experience with the home 'eastwood' type kits, i would say by looking at what they charge for powder that it would become very expensive to paint a lot of stuff. the equipment is probably ok for small occasional type use, but not good enough for the demands of us guys that paint a lot of parts. you cant really compare the home type kits with the stuff that we use at work, most of our old stuff runs about $1500- $2000, (nordson versa-spray 1 and 2), we just redid a booth with a new manual gun and controller that ran $4500.(nordson encore) this stuff is built to provide consistent results day in day out, year after year. most of our old equipment is 30+ years old, some major parts on some of them have been replaced, but for the most part, i keep everything running on a very small amount of maintenance. the old saying 'you get what you pay for' rings true here.........

so to answer your question about the sort of quality you would expect from the home kits, maybe you could reproduce the same results a few times, but for how long? its really not fair to compare the eastwood type stuff to what we use in an industrial setting......for either type......

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Wow martin this sure is one fast and nice restore. :handgestures-thumbup: Think you will have this one ready by charlotte? Jake

Martin

Jake, not sure how long it will take to finish. I'm going to have to slow down on it soon as I have other stuff to get done before charlotte. Would be good to bring 4 though instead of 3........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin

daily update.......

now were having fun........

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

• Like 4

Jake Kuhn

Wow! Thats looking good Martin! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: Wish I had some time for the ranger but it is berry season at the farm,working till 11 almost every night for about the next 2 or 3 weeks. :banghead: Jake