Sign in to follow this  
Razkid

1956 RJ-35?

Razkid

Hello. My wife and I stopped at an antique shop yesterday and buried in a corner was what the owner told me is a 1956 Wheel Horse tractor. I know nothing about these tractors but thought it was something that would look nice restored. Of course I didn't know what to look for on it but the hood has Wheel Horse embossed on it and the wheels are white. I didn't notice if the frame was stamped or not. The hood also has a couple of what look like small bullet holes in it. The owner was going to repaint it so the body has been sanded down. The wheels are still rusty white! I asked if it ran and he told me the coil was no good. He tried to buy another one but it was going to cost him $300 so he just scrapped the whole project and there it sits. There are no implements to go with it.

Last night I was searching the web and found this forum. You have some great looking restored machines and by looking at the photo's, the one I looked at seems to be an RJ-35. Could anyone give me an idea of how much something like the one I found is worth in it's present condition? Thanks for your time.

grnlark

An easy way to determine if it is a RJ35 vs. later RJ58/59 (or Suburban) is if it has a transmission with a shifter or if it is all belt drive. The RJ35's were belt drive.

Values on these have varied quite a bit. A year or two ago you could see north of $1000 if they were complete, running, condition etc. The last two 35's on eBay couldn't even sell at the 600-800 price point. Clearly a sign of the economy in my opinion. Pics would be a huge help to value the tractor you've found.

tractornut86

If it had Wheel Horse in the hood then it wouldnt be earlier then a 1957. As for price it just depends on if it has been modified or peices missing or if original engine. If you could get some pics of it then we could give ya a better estimate.

Rooster

How much is he asking for it?

Zeek

Sooo . . . . where are you from :eusa-whistle:

• Like 1

Razkid

Sorry but I can't get pics of it since it isn't close to where I live. We were out cruising on the motorcycle and came across the little shop. I was looking at Duke's restoration of a 1956 RJ-35 and that has the embossed Wheel Horse on the front of the hood which led me to believe the one I found was a 1956. If the whole tractor is there, with original non running engine since there is no coil, and in the condition I explained above, what would be a fair price to offer for it? Does a coil for this actually cost $300? It is belt drive.

tractornut86

Well in 1955 and 1956 the hoods are smooth in the front. 1957 and after had Wheel Horse in the hood. Two other give aways is the frame, a 56 should have a stamped out frame and and 57 would be a channel frame, and the belt gaurd is open on a 56 and 57 its closed in. As for the coils no they arent close to $300. If its a kohler you can buy new ones from bout $35-$45. But if its a clinton then ebay is best choice and its whatever on there but i have used 6hp tecumseh coils before wth slight to no modifying. Those cost bout same as the kohler.

AMC RULES

You've come to the right place with all your :wh: questions.

:WRS:

TT

:WRS:

As far as dating the RJ models......

Paint schemes (wheels) and/or any part that simply bolts on to a tractor can not be used as credible identification ~ especially a machine that has been around as long as an RJ. It's not hard to change a steering wheel, hood, seat, etc. or spray on a little paint.

The way I see them:

The RJ-35 was offered from 1955 through 1957 with constant changes/revisions/improvements.

Sometime during 1956 when the name "Wheel-Horse" became a registered trademark, the lettering was added to the front of the hood.

I believe that the general consensus is that the channel iron frame was briefly replaced by the formed steel plate either very late in 1955 or early in 1956, but since record keeping was far less important than the actual building/selling process (and the two gentlemen who were building/selling them are no longer with us), 100% accurate information does not exist.

Razkid

Thanks for the information about these old tractors. Can anyone give me a ballpark price for this tractor?

Rooster

Thanks for the information about these old tractors. Can anyone give me a ballpark price for this tractor?

That is going to be tough to do, price depends on alot of things.

Not the least of which is what you are planning on doing with it?

restore it just for personal pleasure?

HOw are the wheels and tires? That can get pricey if you have to replace all of them!

Is the frame rusted through? or still has good looking paint?

Does the trans work? Does the engine run other than the coil needing replaced?

It takes someone experianced in the tractor to be able to look at it and say it is worth $XXX.

In the end, what matters is you. There are tractors out there for sale that the Owner wants $2000....and If I had it I'd give them that much!

A tractor is worth what the owner feels he has to have to part with it and what the buyer feels comfortable giving for it.

I have a buddy, who gave "too much" for a tractor according to most....but he loves the tractor, enjoys owning it, and is comfortable with what he paid!

But If You Must have an estimate - Somewhere between $30 - $3000.

Personally I will not pay over $300 for any non-running tractor unless it is really something special. Others will pay $600 for any RJ with all the parts that is not a pile of rust...

You never asked the guy what he wanted for it?

Rooster

I am going to estimate your restore at around $1000, depending on your abilities - that is a very rough estimate!

So the first question is, and the one that matters most is; How much do you want to spend on it!

Razkid

Thanks Rooster. I wanted to get a take on what people in this forum felt it would be worth before I said what he was asking for it. I figured it was worth about $300 to me since I didn't know if the engine ran even if I found a coil. I didn't look real close for rust but from what I could see of it there wasn't any since it was all sanded down to be repainted. Just the damage to the hood was evident.

I have an old Cub 149 and a Simplicity Model 700 but never looked at a WH. This one just caught my eye and I got curious about what it would be worth fixed up to be used in a parade. There seems to be more antique tractors of all sizes then antique cars in the 4th of July parade in town now.

The guy is asking $600 for it which seemed way too high. As anyone should do before buying something, I came home to do some research which led me to this forum. Thanks again.