Sign in to follow this  
bean

what is the best way to install an axle hub?

bean

what is the best way to install an axle hub? I know you should clean the axle with emery cloth. there will still be a tight fit. beating it on with a hammer seems wrong, but I don't see another way. heating the hub will probably help. just curious what method is considered the best. I have 1 hub to remove, to install a shaft seal

Fordiesel69

I never had all that much trouble reinstalling after a good cleanup. However 2 hrs in the oven at 350 will do wonders. Don;t forget the leather gloves though!!!!

stevasaurus

I think it is all about cleaning up any rough edges and burrs with a good file. Filing the end of the axle around the edge and removing any burrs from the key way is the most important. Cleaning out the key way in both the axle and the hub is also important. I have also had to file a little off the woodruff key, both off the bottom and the sides for a good fit. A little emery cloth around the axle and the inside of the hub, some oil and hubs I have had to press off slide back on easily with no pounding. I've bought keys at different stores, and it seems that no 2 are a like...this could be what is holding you up on just sliding on your hub. :) :)

rmaynard

I removed a hub yesterday using my home-made hub puller, and it was so tight that it took over an hour to get it off. However, after getting it off, it went right back on very smoothly. If you can't get the hub back on without beating on it, you have some other problem. As has been said, be sure that the axle is rust-free, clean and no burrs on the key slot. Be sure to clean the inside of the hub as well. Try sliding it on without the woodruff key. Does it go on easily? If so, the problem may be the key. Once you get the hub to slide on the axle and key easily, coat the axle with a good anti-seize compound before attaching the hub with the set screw.

• Like 1

Rooster

If you have to heat it to get it on you will have troubles getting it off. When you try to take it off you will be heating the hub&the axle.

WHat Bob and Steve said....they should slide on, then some good anti-seize you will thank yourself later!

Lars

Ditto to what has been said here.. Im always using Anti Seize on all the shaft on the tranny.. after a year or two u can still pull the hub/pulley of whit ur hands..

bean

thanks gentlemen

I haven't taken this hub off yet. I just wasn't sure how smoothly it would go back on, and wanted to know before I started

JackC

If there is no corrosion the hub should slide off and back on with no problems. If there is corrosion and the hub does not slide off, then maybe something like PB Blaster will loosen it up to make it easier for the hub to slide off. Once it is off, then clean everything up (the axle and inside the hub) before putting it back on with some grease or anti seize compound. Also keep the tractor protected from the wet weather.

rmaynard

One thing I have found is that leaky seals generally makes for easy hub removal.

• Like 2

can whlvr

its allways much harder to get them off then back on

Cole

i usually cut a 3'' wide piece of 80 grit sandpaper and sand the shaft down till its nice and shiny then i apply some anti-seize and she slides right together. :)

tommyg

Whatever you do, avoid any pounding, on or off. I destroyed the retaining ring groove on both axles on my d180 so that the snap ring would not stay in the groove any longer. I've had to replace both axles because of it. My hubs were stuck solid. I literally had to destroy one of them by drilling holes through the hub down to the axle in a straight line. Then using a chisel, chopped away at the material in between until my gear puller finally broke it loose. I used every method I could think of including heat and penetrant. No luck.

Bottom line, just use caution when removing or installing.

Tankman

Hubs, never had a problem until now. Just purchased a '68 (?) Raider 12 6-Speed.

One hub, unseen under the hub cap, sticks out 1/2".

Both the left and the right hub have approx 1/2" between the hub and the tranny castings.

The Raider 12 does drive well, no problem shifting.

Any experienced insight would be greatly appreciated.

Never use a hammer on the axle and/or hub. Heading towards disaster if you do.

Toss the hammer or save it for nails.

Lane Ranger

If the axle is not loose in the transmission case you might have a loose axle bolt on the HUB and/or a woodruff that is very worn inside the HUB.

whc160

Here is a link to how I fix my hubs when they come loose. If the hub is not loose I have put a puller on it & some heat to remove it.

Don1977

If the hub slides around on the axle the key is too loose in the key way and the set screw wares off as the hub shifts. I fixed one hub by using two pieces of thin alum. flashing over the key hooked on the end of the key and driving the hub on with a rubber hammer. Did that last spring and it has moved yet. I already had two set screws at 90 degrees on the hubs.