Sign in to follow this  
Ryan H

Fixing Dads Figure 8 car

Ryan H

Today me and dad took the Figure 8 car to to where he works to put it on the frame machine.

Before

post-7792-0-16314800-1341158445_thumb.jp

After

post-7792-0-54649200-1341158393_thumb.jp

On the Frame machine

post-7792-0-86372800-1341158337_thumb.jp

Drivers Side Before

post-7792-0-25504400-1341158681_thumb.jp

Passenger side Before

post-7792-0-89273800-1341158763_thumb.jp

Hole in drivers door

post-7792-0-62344100-1341158803_thumb.jp

Working on Hole

post-7792-0-27844200-1341158919_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Takes a licking and keep on ticking.

Is that a Chevy Ryan?

You and Dad do good work. :text-coolphotos:

Kelly

Just so you all know this is a Demolition derby figure 8, full contact, we don't lift when we get to the intersection, we run at the county fairs around the state, I used to run about 25-30 races a year but this old man can't do that any more, it is hard work keeping these cars up and running, I've been doing reg. Derby's and figure 8 races for 30 years, I have a few hundred trophies and awards, it is a blast/rush like no other when your driving in a small track with up to 7 other guys all with 350hp plus, (mine is near 450hp) some higher, and the skill level to drive them, avoiding getting hit, at least hit where it will break you, rubbing hard in the corners, or pushing someone in to another car, or putting a full throttle hit on another car, I've hit cars so hard I've rolled them over, and I've been on my top before also, talk about rocking your world, this is my first love of a hobby, but I don't get out of bed the next day so good after a race, so tractors are becoming my main hobby as the years go on, but I still have a Nova waiting in the barn ready for my 600hp big block to be put in and go drag racing, did that after high school for a number of years, with a 340 Duster, and a few other cars.

And yes it's a 76 Chevelle 4 door, with a 355 small block, turbo 350 trans, right now it has 3.08 gears, I run many different gears depends on the track, some times I just swap to another set of tires.

This fri. night our local stock car track is having a Destruction night, I've ran them for 2 years now, on a paved 1/4" oval, with a figure 8, we do the trailer races, where we pull trailers in a figure 8, trying to rip the other trailers off, or a pole race where we have to circle eathmover tires that are placed around the track, in order, with up to 15 or so other cars, (most of these cars are bone stock) also a push race, one car not running gets pushed around the track by another, sounds easy just try it, I can open my car up on the front straight in front of the grandstands, I may have to build a hobby stock car some day that is pretty fun too.

AMC RULES

How long have you been running this car Kelly?

Kelly

This car is about 5 years old, it has been to the state chamionship 3 times, but I don't race much any more only a few times a year, a few years ago I had 3 cars ready to go 2 running and a 3rd just needing a engine trans swap and a few other quick change items.

I had one car that I had 43 races on, it was beyond scrap, but kept winning me money, I hated to junk it, it was like a old friend.

SousaKerry

Hey kelly you'll have to let us know your next race that's close by get a wheel horse cheering section going for ya

Ryan H

He might be racing this Friday Night at Spartan Speedway in Mason, also tuesday at Eaton County Fairgrounds.

bowtiebutler956

That sounds like a blast!! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

can whlvr

i love watching the fig 8 and the trailer tows,on tv,bet its even better in real life and driving a whole different story,i drove a few demo derbys and it was a blast,i had a 76 sattelite and it was tough

KC9KAS

The guys around here just have the demo derby where the track is watered down so no-one gets too much speed.

The fellows I know have all kinds of tricks (that are legal) to help keep their cars in contention.

Some of the simple things....the pre bent-up fenders and trunk area will with-stand a lot more banging without mashing against the wheels and tires....So a vehicle that has never made it to the 1st race is already banged up.

Ryan H

Dad is racing this friday at a local stockcar track called Spartan speedway

:woohoo:

We put stock car tires on it.

post-7792-0-08018200-1341506340_thumb.jp

The trailer hitch for the Trailer figure 8

post-7792-0-06109600-1341506410_thumb.jp

The car with the stock car tires

post-7792-0-92608900-1341506542_thumb.jp

I will post a pic or two of the trailer later.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Is this the place Ryan?

http://www.spartansp...om/index-ss.php

You guys got that car lookin' pretty cool, take some picts of Dad racing for us there.

:auto-checkeredflag: Drop the hammer Kelly, good luck. :auto-checkeredflag:

Kelly

That is the place, here is a car from a few years ago this is a regular old demo derby car, in a arena with 12 other cars last one running is the winner, snow tires and a wet dirt track.

This car went from this

100_6915.jpg

To this in 20 min. I got second only because the drive shaft broke being on a bind, and it was getting hard to steer, and hot, with out the rad having anything in it for most of the time, but I have used the same 350 chevy for years (about 10 on this engine) and yes I know many many tricks to building them.

100_6977.jpg

100_6978.jpg

100_6974.jpg

It took a day of cutting to get the engine and trans out.

Ryan H

Is this the place Ryan?

http://www.spartansp...om/index-ss.php

You guys got that car lookin' pretty cool, take some picts of Dad racing for us there.

:auto-checkeredflag: Drop the hammer Kelly, good luck. :auto-checkeredflag:

Yes that is the place In mason

• Like 1

perry

car looks good ryan, you guys do great work and have fun.

Ryan H

Dad did really good last night, he got second in the flag pole race, and got 1st in the trailer figure 8!!!!!! :grin::auto-nascar:

Heres the trailer

post-7792-0-85465600-1341689437_thumb.jp

After trailer race

post-7792-0-15675700-1341689632.jpg

post-7792-0-55240000-1341689763.jpg

post-7792-0-64176300-1341689803_thumb.jp

AMC RULES

Tell Dad, cute trailer Ryan. :)

That wasn't in his pictures. :dunno:

Kelly

I wanted to weld a pole in the middle of the trailer and put a mannequin hanging on to it with a bikini or nude but the wife said NO, and she don't tell me no very often, so no pole dancer this year.

• Like 2

smoreau

:ROTF: Your yard looks a lot different back when you had the orange punkin smasher car. NO TRACTORS. Congratulations on your win Kelly! :thumbs:

Ken B

Congrats on the win Kelly, nice job! Your post brings back lots of great memories for me. I know how much work it takes to put together a winning car. Its hard to believe it has been almost ten yrs. since our last race! I spent MANY hrs. every night down at my best friend Kurts shop working on his race car. This a picture of the first run on his second car, the previous one being a 70 Monte. The motor in this car dynoed at a little over 440 hp. First time out he won the figure 8 race and later on that night he won the feature race. I'm sure you'd agree it takes just the right amount of fearlessness, skill, a solid car and a little luck to win one of these races, he had the first three nailed down to a tee. Most guys didn't wanna meet Kurt at the X, his boot was glued to the floor and there would be no liftin. Its hard too believe that this August it will be ten yrs. since he passed.

ScannedImage.jpg

ScannedImage-2-2.jpg