Sign in to follow this  
Pollack Pete

Tires,Tires,Tires

Pollack Pete

I got tired of putting air in one front tire of one of my GT-14's,so I bit the bullet and bought 2 new Carlisle Turf Master size 18x 6.50- 8.I beadblasted and primed the rim that had the flat on it.UPS brought the new tires yesterday.I mounted one new tire on the freshly painted rim this morning.Low and behold,lookie how small the new tire is for being "the same size".What gives here anyway? Did Carlisle's tire molds shrink?Did they downsize their tire sizes like everything else you buy today?I hate the new smaller size tire.I wanted the big fat ones like on the left in my pic.Any comments?

post-3248-0-86929500-1340888590_thumb.jp

post-3248-0-70504600-1340888662_thumb.jp

post-3248-0-35369600-1340888901_thumb.jp

post-3248-0-53054600-1340888942_thumb.jp

Jake Kuhn

That is a big difference in the size of them. Look really nice though. Jake

Don1977

Looks shorter and narrower not 6 1/2 " wide. Where were whey made?

Pollack Pete

Looks shorter and narrower not 6 1/2 " wide. Where were whey made?

I measured my old tire.An honest 18 inches tall and at least 61/2 inches wide.New tire is a puny 17 inches tall and barely 51/2 wide.Mounted on same width rims. .I compared a mounted 16x 6.50-8 tire.I can't tell the difference between the two.I searched the entire sidewalls of the new tire..Nowhere does it say where they were made.I'd guess some Asian country.Looks like I'm done buying Carlisle tires.Especially at the price they charge.I hate the new,short,narrow tires for my GT-14.Anyone here buy any 18x6.50-8 tires lately that are the same physical size as the old ones?I'll save these to use on one of my B or C series tractors.

Fun Engineer

The size of these resembles the NLA 16x5.5x8. This may be good news for us 1960's guys.

Rooster

If you don't like the prices of those, try and buy a 18X7.50X8 Turf Master.....

Those are what I run on my racer, and dangit man they are high dollar.

On a side note: If you are really unhappy with them and want to recoupe some of your money out of them I can help ya out! LOL

mrc

hi pete, i've noticed on SOME carslile tires that it says "made in china" under the bead. in other words, once the tire is mounted you cannot see where the tire was made. SOME carslile tires are made overseas and SOME are made in U.S.A. regards mike in mass.

zieg72

I had the same disappointment with a pair of tires I bought for my 520H for the front. Had about the same difference as you are showing and made in China. Looked like the same tread, It was an ebay purchase and there was nothing I could do except live with them,,, The one positive thing is it made it steer easier

Pollack Pete

hi pete, i've noticed on SOME carslile tires that it says "made in china" under the bead. in other words, once the tire is mounted you cannot see where the tire was made. SOME carslile tires are made overseas and SOME are made in U.S.A. regards mike in mass.

Hey Mike in Mass,you're right on about looking on the bead.I took the tire off the rim and with great difficulty (59 year old eyes) saw in tiny print those dreaded words Made in China..About that big too.I found 2 Deestone tires on Fleabay.I just ordered them.I'm all done with Carlisle unless I can see them in person before I buy.Thanks everyone for all the info.

KC9KAS

Thanks fellows for this information.

When the time comes for me to purchase new tires, I will keep a watch for this "bait & switch" deal!

Pollack Pete

When the time comes for me to purchase new tires, I will keep a watch for this "bait & switch" deal!

Ya know,some of tire sellers and tire manufacturers must think they're dealing with a bunch of morons.Like no one is going to notice any difference in the tire size and quality.The Squaw even noticed they looked crappy.The business's that pull this inferior crap deserve to go out of business.Them selling these crappy tires didn't lower the price to the consumer one nickle.It must look good for the business owner.At least for now.When sales fall off to almost nothing,they're gonna be scratching their heads and saying WTF.OK done ranting.Thanks for reading this.
  • Like 2

GeoStaub

Right on man!

TT

Speaking of high dollar....... I just bought a pair of Carlisle Ultra Trac 26.5 X 14 - 12 tires (529386) for the back of the Toro sprayer at work -- they were only $329.13!

Zeek

Ya know,some of tire sellers and tire manufacturers must think they're dealing with a bunch of morons.Like no one is going to notice any difference in the tire size and quality.The Squaw even noticed they looked crappy.The business's that pull this inferior crap deserve to go out of business.Them selling these crappy tires didn't lower the price to the consumer one nickle.It must look good for the business owner.At least for now.When sales fall off to almost nothing,they're gonna be scratching their heads and saying WTF.OK done ranting.Thanks for reading this.

Amen . . I'm anal about tire size an looks and that pisses me off :ranting:

I'd send them back with picture and tell them you want reimbursed for the shipping both ways . . that's BS. Show them their junk doesn't match the specs.

Thanks for posting, now I know what brand is not getting MY $$.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Speaking of high dollar....... I just bought a pair of Carlisle Ultra Trac 26.5 X 14 - 12 tires (529386) for the back of the Toro sprayer at work -- they were only $329.13!

2 new tires for the motorcycle set me back $550......and only last 12K mile for the rear and 20K for the front!

75K on the truck tires and they were only $600!

Sparky

Some bean counter must have decided that if they shaved an inch off every tire it would save em a 50 cents per tire and the public would never be the wiser (but the secrets out now!). Probably got himself a nice promotion and a plaque for his office wall.

Mike...........

• Like 1

fourwheels0

yup it's sad.just like everything else pay more and get less.

Shuboxlover

I absolutely LOVE the turf masters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can whlvr

i bought a set of the same tires all 4 and they were the same as original size and made in the us

rmaynard

I have always gotten the best deal on Carlisle tires from my local tire dealer. So if something like this happened, they would go right back to him. If it were me, I would contact customer service, show them pictures, and demand that they make good by sending tires that actually match the specifications printed on the tire. A properly inflated 18" tire is not 17" tall, and 6.5" is not 6". If they do not take them back and refund your money, including postage both ways, call the credit card company and have them put a hold on the payment. One way or the other, it would be resolved.

refracman

I bought a set for my GT14 maybe 12-14 years ago and the same thing, says its the same but were not, even had the same tread pattern, I got them from M.E. Miller. So I went back, ya close by, and they went out back to the "Old tire" barn and rooted around, lo and behold they found a set. Would of bought more but he said that was it.

Rooster

In the racing mowers the 16X7.50X8 is the most popular rear tire to run.

The rule book used to read : "Must run same size tires and wheels on both sides."

They did this so that we could not run Stagger. I caused the rulebook to get changed twice, first by running different tread patterns and the second by running the same tread pattern from different manufacturers! I could get up to 1-1/2" of stagger by using different manufacturer & tread patterns on the rear tires that all had the same size printed on the sidewall!

The rule book now reads; "Tires on same axle must be the same size, tread pattern and manufacturer" .....