Sign in to follow this  
tommybro

Weird holes under 36" RD deck

tommybro

Hi,

I was replacing the deck belt on my 36" rd deck and was in the process of scraping under it when I noticed 2 holes on the triangles on the front one on each side.

The hole does not go all the way through the triangle just on one side. It was full of crud that I got out.

I am wondering if anyone knows what these holes are for, they look like they are supposed to be there

deckholes.jpg

SNYFIX

To be able to clean out the accumilated grass that would otherwise get wet and rust/rot the deck.

tommybro

The holes are placed so that it seems that would be the only reason that they are there, to catch grass and debris to rot the deck. It just seems really weird for them to be there, you would think those things would just be sealed solid unless I am missing something.

can whlvr

i think the holes are to let air escape,these decks use air to lift the grass and these slots let air out

Kelly

I've always thought those hole were about a stupid idea, they let as you said everything in and it's a pain to get anything out, I used a hole saw and put a 1 1/4" hole in the bottom plate on a real nice deck so it could be cleaned out.

wheelhorsec85

ive seen newer 36 rd decks with the same thing. but the top is missing so you can clean it out easier. just cut out the top and there will be no problem anymore on cleaning

varosd

Cant remember but on my 36 RD there is sort of same holes but was for the deck lift bolts/anchor points? but all are correct, a place to rot out too hot to remember right now!

MalMac

I agree with Kelly, I seen those on mine and thought "Who designed this" what a stupid Idea. Maybe they put them in there just to catch crud and gunk just to rot out. It's hard to believe any designer would sign off on that idea. Great idea if your never going to cut grass with it. Some times you just got to wonder.