Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

Exploding Grinder Stone?

bowtiebutler956

I was in my shop yesterday, and was using my angle grinder. The stone was getting pretty wore out, so I put a new one on it. Pulled the trigger on it, and all looked good, so I started grinding, and I hadn't ground for more than 2 seconds when the stone exploded, and tore my finger up. :banghead: I've heard people say this could happen, but I've been doing this kind of work for 20yrs, and never seen it happen. I've knocked chuncks out of the stone before, but never had it shatter for no reason. The ER spent an hour trying to get all the debris out of my finger, and said there was still some, but it should work its way out on its own. No more buying cheap grinding stones for me! The following picture is graffic and gorey!Matt

For picture click the show button, caution image shows bad injury.

post-6076-0-13658100-1340742376_thumb.jp

edit admin: placed picture in spoiler.

Rooster

WOW! Gonna feel that for awhile!

Been there, seen that!

Like you said, some things are just worth spending money on!

How many good stones will that ER Visit set you back?

bowtiebutler956

WOW! Gonna feel that for awhile!

Been there, seen that!

Like you said, some things are just worth spending money on!

How many good stones will that ER Visit set you back?

Too many Rooster! :banghead:

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

OUCH! Been there done that.

I've got a nice scar on my chin from the same thing happening about 15 years ago, unfortunately safety glasses don't protect your face.

If it's any consolation Matt, I've heard it said...chicks dig scars.

Feel better. :thumbs:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I've got a nice scar on my chin from the same thing happening about 15 years ago, unfortunately safety glasses don't protect your face.

Not really Craig, I've been married for almost 20yrs now, so my new scar won't do me any good. :ROTF:

• Like 1

Martin

Not really Craig, I've been married for almost 20yrs now, so my new scar won't do me any good. :ROTF:

so your saying that your gonna get laughed at and made fun of instead?

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

so your saying that your gonna get laughed at and made fun of instead?

Pretty much Martin. :ROTF:

Raider

I cringe when I see people horsing the thin cut off wheels through all kinds of cuts with their face right in there. Those things can fly apart at great speed. I always try and keep as much of myself out of the plane of the wheel as most pieces will fly straight out perpendicular to the shaft.

• Like 1

coldone

Super glue and Duck tape would have fixed that for you. Not bad enough for JB weld though.

Hope it feels better soon.

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

I cringe when I see people horsing the thin cut off wheels through all kinds of cuts with their face right in there. Those things can fly apart at great speed. I always try and keep as much of myself out of the plane of the wheel as most pieces will fly straight out perpendicular to the shaft.

Those are words of wisdom Raider. One of the larger pieces of the stone hit the metal roof of my shop, and dented it. I'm with you, I always keep my face out of the line of fire, although I'd never had one shatter like this before.

Matt

bowtiebutler956

Super glue and Duck tape would have fixed that for you. Not bad enough for JB weld though.

Super glue actually works very well on most nasty cuts, but this one had alot of grinding stone in the hole, so I opted to let the pros handle it. You should have seen the xray, there were all these little dark spots all over the place. :scared-eek: I didn't think they were ever going to get it clean. It was pretty interesting watching them dig around in there. :ychain:

Duff

Super glue actually works very well on most nasty cuts, but this one had alot of grinding stone in the hole, so I opted to let the pros handle it. You should have seen the xray, there were all these little dark spots all over the place. :scared-eek: I didn't think they were ever going to get it clean. It was pretty interesting watching them dig around in there. :ychain:

Hopefully with a MASSIVE dose of lidocaine!!!!!!

Duff :thumbs:

smoreau

Cheep or expensive, They will all do it if they get dropped or fractured in any way. I have had it happen 4 times so far and just got bruises in the legs so far. But one did take out a windshield on a car in the next bay. Eye protection and gloves are a must! I like a full face shield as I ware glasses and welding gloves are my favorite for heavy grinding.

bowtiebutler956

Hopefully with a MASSIVE dose of lidocaine!!!!!!

Duff :thumbs:

Oh yay Duff, it wouldn't have been fun if I had to feel it. :ROTF: They numbed me up good. :thumbs:

Cheep or expensive, They will all do it if they get dropped or fractured in any way. I have had it happen 4 times so far and just got bruises in the legs so far. But one did take out a windshield on a car in the next bay. Eye protection and gloves are a must! I like a full face shield as I ware glasses and welding gloves are my favorite for heavy grinding.

I was wearing saftey glasses, but no gloves. I think I may start now. Sometimes the only way I learn is the hard way! :banghead:

gwgdog66

OUCH!!

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

That couldn't of felt to well. :ranting: Hope it heels up well and that will teach us here to buy good grinding stones. Jake

• Like 1

nylyon

That is a nasty wound, hope you heal up soon. I placed the image in spoiler tags so you have to click to view it, I don't recommend clicking while eating, on a date or with small children!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Sorry Karl, I probably shouldn't have posted a pic. :ROTF: I hope I didn't gross anyone out to bad. :hide:

coldone

I am glad you posted the pic.Now i will buy a face sheild and wear it and gloves. I havent used side grinders that much but ihave heard of stuff happening. Now i know what damage they can do.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

That is a nasty wound, hope you heal up soon. I placed the image in spoiler tags so you have to click to view it, I don't recommend clicking while eating, on a date or with small children!

I am a retired volunteer fire department member as well as a medical 1st responder. I was sure I could take it!

I am glad you were not hurt any worse than you were.

If you don't mind, I will print the picture and show it to the rest of the gang in the maintenance shop at work.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I am a retired volunteer fire department member as well as a medical 1st responder. I was sure I could take it!

I am glad you were not hurt any worse than you were.

If you don't mind, I will print the picture and show it to the rest of the gang in the maintenance shop at work.

I don't mind at all. If someone else can learn from my mistake, I'm all for it. I know I'll be wearing gloves from now on! :thumbs:

Lars

AUCH..... im always try to use glases and gloves when im using it,, but somtimes not.. and i have been realy close to get like that..

i had a good one it was from dewalt a thin one.. that explodet but i was realy lucky, no hurts for me..

so somtimes there are som fab mistakes on them to

• Like 1

WH520

That's gonna leave a mark! :eek: I'm glad you posted a picture too, maybe it will whip me (and others) into shape......

I'm guilty of never wearing any kind of protection when using the grinder. Usually I'm in my cut-off t-shirt and shorts cutting something that a grinder has no business cutting.

I learn the hard way too so you're not a lone.

• Like 1

Zeek

Wow that sucks . . . thanks for thinking of us though, you know how we are :wwp:

Seriously, glad you're ok :)

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Well, to add insult to injury, as I was walking out of my house a little while ago, I closed the door on my already damaged finger! :no: My neighbor was walking by as I did this, so I had to man up, and pretend everything was ok. So I calmly walked over, and climed into my vehicle, where I then proceeded to double over in pain, and cry like a baby. :ychain: I removed the bandage, expecting to see some popped stitches, but to my suprise there were none. However, now the end of my finger is purple, which goes quite nicely with the blood red, and stitches. It looks like some kind of Frankenfinger now. :ranting:

• Like 2