Sign in to follow this  
fireman

New Wheel Horse for the kids to ride around at shows!

fireman

My kid probably put about 10 to 12 hours on my 58' Resto-Mod at this years show (not to mention drove it into the side of one of the buildings at the fair grounds. It was parked facing the building and he got on to take it for a ride and shifted it into the wrong gear, was only at idle and caused no damage to either!) . After seeing how much time he rode on Thursday and Friday, I figured I had to get him something to ride around with that I wasn't so worried about. I started to search the grounds looking for something that didn't need a lot of work and was small enough to be able to fit on the trailer or truck with everything else. I found a few things but they either were too much money or needed too much work. I came across this little gem that the seller said was his friends and that he had started to restore it 7 years ago, then got married and that was the end of that. Everything had been sand blasted, primed and painted except the hood which was only primed. The steering ball joints are all brand new. The transmission shifts like a dream and feels nice and tight. Rear tire are brand new but need new fronts. Rims look like brand new. The steering wheel was wobbly and had been braced with an extra support. It came with the original Techy, a Kohler 7hp and the mower deck. I had no need for any of this as I had an engine sitting at home ready to drop in and have no plans to mow with it. These were sold to J'DOG along with a plow I brought to sell and offset the cost of the tractor by half. I got a Kohler tank that would have come on a 4HP engine from SteveBo along wit the mounting straps. When I got home from the show I welded the straps under the hood so the filler neck sets in place where the original tank would. Cleaned up the topside from welding and re-primed and painted the hood. Then sanded, primed and painted the tank. Cleaned up all the mess that was on the steering wheel. Had to use a Dremel tool and open up the area where the wire rim attached to the cross pieces so I could weld those up. With that done now I will use some epoxy and fill in the areas where I had to Dremel out and sand to match. Next I will use the VHT black die and give the wheel some new color. My son actually found a brand new seat while we were at the show and scored that for $25. So all in all I got $150 into this and I think it looks great. Just need a belt and some new front tires and it will be ready for him to cruise with at the shows!

101_0469.jpg

101_0468.jpg

101_0467.jpg

AMC RULES

Nice looking tractor Jeff, for not much money. :thumbs:

Looks like some good horse trading went on there.

Jake Kuhn

Very nice tractor jeff. Is the k90 going onto it? Jake

Ken B

That was fast! She looks great Jeff.

fireman

The K90 is going on it till I need it or something else, (maybe a diesel!) comes along.

bowtiebutler956

That's something your son can be proud of ! Good job! :text-datsphatyo:

Matt :flags-texas:

Coadster32

I got a new respect for the lawn rangers two years ago at the show. Looks great from here!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Sparky

Looks great Jeff. Maybe put a bumper on it :grin: .

Mike.........

stevebo

Jeff, as I stated before... Good to have you back!

fireman

It's good to be back! Only problem is now that I am in the grove, we leave Wednesday for vacation. I won't be able to anything else for over 3 weeks :no:

Sparky

Have fun on your vacation! The tractors will still be there when ya get back.

Mike...........

fireman

I have been looking for a diesel to put in this little thing and finally found one down in PA. Going to take a look at in a week or so when we head that way for more summer camping vacation. In the mean time I got the gas tank finished and installed and figured I through the old Kohler 4HP in there to give it a whirl. Drove it around a little but I have to adjust the carb. I ran out of time for today. Got to work tomorrow so I will give it some time on Monday and play with it. This thing is a cool little tractor! Can't wait to put a 7 horse diesel in it :music-rockout:

IMG_7271.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7267.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

clintonnut

NICE!!!

Jake Kuhn

Looks very nice. You should sell me the oil bath on that k90. :ychain: I can't find one...anywhere! :hide: Jake

Coadster32

Like those rear tires on it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

bowtiebutler956

I'm lovin it!! :woohoo::text-datsphatyo::thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Scrumpy

Fireman, Nice tractor. It actually looks good with that white seat. The upside is it will stay cool if he parks it in the sun while at a show. I had a boat once that had blue seats. They would get real hot in the sun. They would spend most of the time out on the water with white towels on them.

-Scrump

speedyleedy

Nice looking Tractor Jeff ! :)

Marv

Beautiful!!

What is VHT black dye? New to me.

Marv

fireman

Yeah Marv good catch. I ended up finding a perfect steering wheel on Fleabay from someone parting out a Ranger. I think it was like $15.

Ken B

Very nice Jeff. I thought I saw somewhere that someone had tri-ribs mounted on the front of their Lawn Ranger. It looked pretty cool with them on there!

grnlark

Nice Ranger Jeff. They're fun little tractors to cruise around.

fireman

Spending the week down in Gettysburg camping and sight seeing right now. I always check Craig's List for the area we are traveling to. I found two great items here in PA. and they were both right on our travel route down here. The first is this low hour 6HP Yanmar Diesel engine which is going in the Lawn Ranger. It came off of a 24 volt military genset that the generator unit failed. I picked this up for $200 less than the China Diesels sell for. Just need to pickup a pull/recoil starter for it. Is has electric start put want to finish off the front of the engine. The second item is a lift for working on the tractors and quad. I sold my hydraulic lift table because it was a little on the tippy side when I had something up on it and it was very narrow. This lift will fit the bill perfectly and will also work as storage for the two older round hoods when the lift is not in use.

Yanmar1.jpg

Yanmar2.jpg

lift1.jpg

lift2.jpg

lift3.jpg

Tankman

Nice Horse! Lucky kids having a beautiful Horse to ride in the show!

Excellent paint job too!

Had a lift table years ago, your finds are excellent. Lift and diesel engine, how

lucky can you get?

fireman

I tell my kids how lucky they are to have the things that they do that others kids don't in the hopes they appreciate them that much more. We'll see if it sets in!