Sign in to follow this  
markjs

My new WH

markjs

Well I picked up my new (to me) C121.

post-7408-0-34237800-1340394647_thumb.jp

This doesn't look original to me but can someone confirm that? I'm not familiar with the c series mule drives. (Yet)

post-7408-0-43274300-1340394704_thumb.jppost-7408-0-97671400-1340394721_thumb.jp

markjs

The thing's been bent too

post-7408-0-46686800-1340395071_thumb.jp

The carb is apparently off a Cub Cadet

post-7408-0-65750800-1340395217_thumb.jp

Missing the knob and maybe something else?

post-7408-0-08926300-1340395316_thumb.jp

markjs

And the deck's not too good- how difficult a repair job is it?

post-7408-0-29124400-1340395416_thumb.jp

WH Raider10

Nice wheel horse you got there! I've got the same cut in my front axle on my raider 10.Maybe it's for the belt for the deck?

Raider10

:) Hello from yorkshire, England. Looks to me like the muveve drive pulleys have been rubbing on the axle. maybe the mule has been bent at some point and spent some time rubbing on the axle, Or the axle bushes may be worn. Just a theory If it helps. Nice horse by the way.

Don1977

There should be a rod all the way across with c-clip at the hood hing. Somebody replaced it with bolts.

Callen

Might have tried to run too short of belt or a bearing went bad in the idler pully.

bowtiebutler956

Looks like a good project. :text-datsphatyo: The cut in the front axle is pretty common, my B-80 has the same mark in it. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a nice project. :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

whc160

I don't recall having the mark on any of my C-160's. I will look today & get you some pics of one of my mule drives.

markjs

Thanks for the input guys. Any thoughts on the deck? I'm not much of a sheet metal person I'm afraid :( Those triangular pcs are about eaten away but are they really necessary? Oh and what can I expect to pay for a rockshaft and sleeve hitch? Anyone have one for sale?

markjs

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention. There's no fuel line on the tractor so I haven't seen it run yet. Supposedly it runs good but smokes a little. I haven't had time yet to run a fuel line and try it out. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Sparky

I hope it runs good for you! I have a couple tractors with those same grooves in the axle. Its gotta be one heck of a nasty noise to hear the pulleys chewing into the axle tho, hard to imagine some folks keep on mowing like that.

Mike.............

• Like 1

whc160

I looked at my C's and there is no notch worn in the axle.

7444158264_9e754c9f4e_m.jpg

There is about 1-1/2 inch between the axle & mule drive pulley. Here are some pics of my mule drive.

7444156438_50a4448f46_m.jpg

7444154734_c644561b23_m.jpg

7444153084_7c658248bf_m.jpg

markjs

Thanks all. C160 that sounds more like the proper clearance. I wonder why mine's so close? Different axle maybe?? Can someone chime in on the deck? Will it be fine with those triangles gone or do I need to repair them?

Wheelerspop 121

My deck on my C 121 had the same problem with the baffels. I had a friend of mine that's a welder look at it, and he was able to replace the baffels with about 2 hours of work. Without the baffels the grass won't cut proper.....so I was told.

bo dawg

Thanks all. C160 that sounds more like the proper clearance. I wonder why mine's so close? Different axle maybe?? Can someone chime in on the deck? Will it be fine with those triangles gone or do I need to repair them?

I would think the PO used a belt that was too small and had it adjusted all the way in to fit.

Wheel Crazy

Looks like a great tractor!! Good luck!

bo dawg

My deck on my C 121 had the same problem with the baffels. I had a friend of mine that's a welder look at it, and he was able to replace the baffels with about 2 hours of work. Without the baffels the grass won't cut proper.....so I was told.

Yes, the baffles are to help pull the grass up to the blades much like a vacuum. You can fab and weld some new metal if the deck isn't paper thin there. Or cut out the baffles from another scraped deck.

boovuc

As above, the belt was too small and the compensation for it shaved the clearance too close. I have a cub carb on my KT17, (C-175 and it works fine! On the deck, I removed the baffles from two old decks and used them that way for years. If there is enough metal to save them, you can do that but it isn't nessesary.