Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Anyone ever done this to their Snow Plow

T-Mo

I picked up these pictures from the JD L&G Yahoo group. I have been keeping these pictures for a while as this has been in the back of mind to try someday. Has anyone else done this here or thought about doing it?

dougssnowbladecaster1.jpg

dougssnowbladecaster3.jpg

dougssnowbladecaster5.jpg

This was done on the 54" 4-way snow plow on a JD 318. JD also sells a rubber, squeeqy-type, edge so the plow edge does not damage asphalt, concrete, etc. The caster wheels could do the same and also would help out on uneven gravel driveways so the blade would roll over the terrain instead of digging in. Of course they can be adjusted when you want to dig into the terrain. B)

Teddy da Bear

My dad did the same thing with little skiis he made for the snowblower.

combatmp29r

JD I haven't seen casters myself. Alot of skids of one type or another, but no casters. Its definatly a valid idea though B)

DMESS

What is the purpose of all the spring/chain stuff added to the blade in the picture?

T-Mo

What is the purpose of all the spring/chain stuff added to the blade in the picture?

Dustin, I don't know. :whistle: I would have to try and find the post I found in regards to this. B)

TT

It's a John Deere, D.....

That's probably part of the many pins and clips and brackets and rods and widgets that hold the blade to the tractor. :whistle:

Seriously though..... I think that's a lock "mechanism" to keep the blade from tripping when pushing heavy dirt or stone, etc. B)

It also looks like it would keep pressure on the casters so the blade stays level and the cutting edge doesn't scrape the concrete/blacktop too hard.

T-Mo

TT, no the trip springs are shown - they are the yellow springs, similar to the trip springs on Wheel Horses. The bracket that's bolted to the top of the blade that has the spring and chain attached to it is not factory either.

TT

The OEM trip springs are there, but if the blade trips, the casters are useless. I say that other rigging on top is to keep the blade from tripping so it doesn't dig in when the casters lift off the ground.

DMESS

LOL TT. I had one of these....well, a 1965 110 with the 42" blade. All 200lbs (or so it seemed) hung entirely on the front of the tractor. And yes, many pins and a long rod later it was mounted. Quite complicated/heavy AND after all of that you still HAD TO GET OFF THE TRACTOR TO CHANGE THE ANGLE OF THE BLADE! Needless to say the whole outfit outweighed our 702 by A LOT and couldn't push half of what the ol' Horse could. For all of Deere's engineering might and dollars I was NOT impressed. B)

T-Mo

I hate to tell you this, Dustin, but JD did sell an blade angling kit so you could angle it from the seat. Why this wasn't standard, I don't know. B)

Duff

I hate to tell you this, Dustin, but JD did sell an blade angling kit so you could angle it from the seat. Why this wasn't standard, I don't know. B)

To make more money probably ...... :whistle:

Duff B)

KyBlue

My WH blade has skid pads on it, but not casters.. would be cool thou!

Electro12WH

I have some old iron casters from a piano that would be perfect! I think those 5/16" bolts might be too light if you catch a crack in the sidewalk.