Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

Hit and Miss

MalMac

For two years now the corn in the garden is coming up and not coming up. We always have had good corn. Again this year I will have say two or three plants then nothing for 7 or 8 plants come up then maybe one plant then nothing for maybe 10 plants then another 3 or 4 plants next to each other. Kinda like this-

x x x o o o o o o o x o o o o o o o o o o xxxx o o o o o x o o o o o etc, etc.

What's going on bad seen maybe. Just seems kinda weird when you have had good years. When I had this happen last year I changed seed thinking bad seed last year now same thing. Glad my big farm fields are not doing this.

racin_ny

Same thing here. It's very odd.. This year I even fertilized very early trying to alleviate that some but we still have the same issue. I have tried seed from two different sources now. I have also tried different types of seed. I'll have to check on which kinds but it does seem like the early variety of corn is the most problematic. Well at least for me. LOL

CasualObserver

Sounds to me like you have been feeding a critter. Have you dug your blank spots to see if the seed is still there? Some little vermin and rodents will do that... go straight down a row and pick a few seeds out. Come back later a they might skip a few. You might not notice the ground disturbed if they're tunneling. Most likely, you have some hungry Voles... well... not anymore I guess.

Prater

Crows digging them out? They will also wait for the seed to start a sprout and then just pull it up and eat the seed.