wallfish

Custom 2 seater Rat build

Ken B

Like anything you build John, way cool and nicely done! Love it!

stevebo

Now you have a little more hp for that one.. Hope the motor works out for your John. ..

Ole MN

like it way cool

wallfish

I just love the look of this John

How have you managed to do the offset left hand drive stearing and how is the engine drive connected

Or is this top secret information.

I would love to have the time and inclination to be able to build one of those

this is what makes these wheel horse tractors so amazing with everything that just bolts together. like Meccanno

No top secret processes here, just made it up as I went along. If you magnify the 3rd pic, you can see the normal steering components mounted to a piece of angle steel. On the front side, I cut the shaft, made a bearing to support it and welded that on and a sprocket on the shaft. A #40 chain goes from that to the other piece of shaft with an added bearing and sprocket which is in the "normal" steering position. So far untested but it should work out OK.

The drive belt is routed around the axle and needs to be put on before the tires. I still need to work out the details for how the clutch and brake will work.

wallfish

Here are some pics of the steering setup. There is a piece of steel tubing used for a bushing inside of the square piece and then the sproket was welded on

post-658-0-37327400-1342563520_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-10553500-1342563529_thumb.jpg

wallfish

This is the new brake linkage and pedal. Pedal is made from the old snow plow index handle.

post-658-0-12170600-1342563754_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-79573400-1342563763_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-55361200-1342563784_thumb.jpg

stevebo

Looking sweet John. Like to see your sick little mind at "play"....

COMMANDO6

Cool. This should be a fun one to drive

Tankman

Wonderful! Can't anticipate the final finish, sure it'll be fun, gorgeous, and smiles to everyone.

Keep us up to date!

wallfish

Finally made some progress on this. It runs and drives great so I'll bring it to the Zagray show next weekend. There are still quite a few things that need to done but most are just cosmetic. This isn't what I originally had in mind for the seat but it works for now and doesn't look too bad. It has a pull start Kohler M8 for now but will be upgraded to an electric start eventually. Here's some pics

post-658-0-15414600-1349040962_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-92691400-1349040974_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-13949800-1349040985_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-19924600-1349040995_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-37367900-1349041006_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

CRE1992

That is awesome! I want one!!!!

Sparky

Cool!! Looking forward to seein it at Zagray's. You couldnt come up with any padding at all for that seat???? :ychain:

Mike......

wallfish

At least it's on seat springs, It's actually not that bad of a ride although the motor seems to have a little more shake in it than it should.

Ken B

That came out real cool John. I actually like the seat, its easy to slide on and off from either side. All ya need is a little foam and some leather and you''ll be all set. I can hook you up with some leather I'm sure.

krazy_horse

This is the first I've seen of this, this is WAY COOL, give us up dates when you have them.

fireman

As usual, great job John! Can't wait to see it at Zagray next weekend.

jay in nc

a school bus seat would look right at home there! cheep too. Very nice Jay

COMMANDO6

Very nice work! So hows about an action video, I'd love to see that running. Wish I could be at the show.

AMC RULES

Really neat...eventually painting it John, or leaving it as is?

Jake Kuhn

WOW! That is very cool looking! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Scrumpy

John,

That is really neat, thinking out of the box for sure. Looks like it will do wheelies if your not careful!!

SALTYWRIGHT

JOHN, I WILL BE AT ZAG ON SAT WITH THE RAT ROD. WE CAN PART THEM SIDE BY SIDE.

horsesaver98

does it do a lot of whelies

bowtiebutler956

Thats a very cool creation! :text-datsphatyo: It almost looks like some of the old vintage tugs I use to see at the airport pulling the planes around. :thumbs:

Matt

• Like 1

wallfish

Thanks guys!

For now it's going unpainted. I was going for the rat look and tried to keep it looking like it was built years ago. All the parts are old, rusty, dented or have holes so ...

It'll pull wheelies in third but nothing more than your average tractor does when you dump the clutch. There's a battery under the hood. I'll add some more weight up front since a suburban snow blade will be added to the front and some tire chains. Maybe a canopy too but it didn't look right since it has to be so high to fit under. I also have an old, heavily rusted tub cart with holes in it that I may cut in half to use as a bed in the back over the engine to carry stuff. It's worthless as a trailer but the section in front of the wheels is some what solid.