Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Push Mowers (Toro and other brands)

T-Mo

This could go under Non-Tractor Related forum, but I decided to place it here. I have never owned a new push mower, all mine have been used. I currently have 2 used Lawn Boys, both made in the mid-80s with the F-series 2 cycle engines. They both run good and cut good. But I would like to keep them around a while, so I might be in the market for a new one.

I don't want a MTD junk, I don't think. I would like a push one, not necessary a self-propelled one. I thinking a Toro with the Briggs engine (not the Tecumseh engine) or maybe a Snapper. JDs are sort of out of the question as they only make self-propelled ones. Honda and CCs are possibilities. Lawn Boy no longer makes the 2 cycle engined ones (thanks EPA :D ) and are referred by some Lawn Boy purists as Lawn Girls. They have plastic wheels and Tecumseh engines while the most expensive ones either have Honda or Briggs. I wouldn't mind an Eastman, but there are no dealers nearby. So I'm thinking Toro or Snapper. Any opinions, comments, etc? I probably won't be in the market until spring, but I want to do my research now.

nylyon

I bought my Murray 10 years ago for $99 with the Tecumseh engine. It was bought to do some trimming and to use in the rocky area of the yard. It should really get an oil change and new plug, which hasn't happened since new. Now, this little Murray starts on the first pull every time and just runs and works. This has never let me down and has been used and abused more than anything else that I own.

When I bought the thing, I thought about getting a nice Toro machine, and it's best that didn't happen. The only trouble this ever gave is the pull cord broke a couple of times. The Tecumseh is super easy to fix the pull start, all it needed is a new cord and it was off to cutting once more.

I'm not sure what a better brand mower would do that this one won't, except hurt me if I broke it.

Just my 2 cents worth, no refunds given :D

Sparky

I bought a Murray 10 years ago(used) at a tag sale for $20 with a 3.5 Briggs that has been great! I dont show it the kind of attention I should and it starts right up and mows just fine.

I think the cheapie push mowers are just fine and probably half or even less money than a new Toro or Snapper.

Mike......

T-Mo

I think the Murray's were good, inexpensive units. Unfortunately you can't get one around here in these parts anymore. Last I heard Briggs sold the Murray operation to a Chinese company, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

I realize that some of the cheaper units are good units and may last a while. I just don't really like the self-propelled units that MTD or AYP makes and there is too much compromise on the push models they make. If I can find one that is a true push mower and has a good quality build, I don't care what color it is or what's the name on it.