Sign in to follow this  
jimbo7921

blown fuse on charging system on 520h

jimbo7921

just wondering if anyone can help me narrow down where to look for a wiring issue. when i turn the head lights on i keep blowing the 30amp fuse for the charging system, as well all the gauges stop working i figure its a bad ground but am really not sure where to start looking for it or even what colour wires to follow. any help would be greatly appreciated

sorekiwi

First thing to look at is the 9 pin connector that plugs the engine into the chassis (in front of the battery).

• Like 1

Sparky

If you have a pile of good fuses handy try replacing the fuse and turning on the lights with the hood open. Maybe with it closed your pinching a wire. :scratchead:

Mike...........

bwh3200

Jimbo, I just installed a new 9 pin connector and fuse block on my 520H and now everything works like new. I purchased the original type 9 pin connector and did not use it because of the quality. I used an automotive type connector.I did use the original type fuse block. I also purchased and installed a new ignition switch. I know for sure that the rectifier pin was bad in the 9 pin but not sure what else was bad i just know that now everything works great. By the way these parts are all inexpensive. Do you know how to use a Volt meter? I will be happy to help you out.

post-7637-0-04913700-1340022426_thumb.jp

bwh3200

jimbo7921

bwh3200 any help would be great i can get a hold of a volt meter but honestly have no idea how to use one. Pulled the 9 pin connector apart this weekend, thought it looked ok, cleaned a few connections up and made a new battery lead and put it all back together. Know the charging system isn't charging the battery at all i have had to replace the regulator before hopefully not again

jimbo7921

does anyone have any idea why turning on my lights would blow the regulator?

JackC

The lights should be on a 10 amp fuse.

Are the fuses in the correct sockets?

Possibly one or more wires may have lost their insulation due to some rubbing or vibration and are making an incorrect circuit.

I would first carefully inspect and check all the wires in the lighting circuit.

A wiring diagram would be essential and a meter very helpful.

bwh3200

Unplug the headlight connector and try turning them on. If the fuse blows then its somewhere between the lamp switch and the plug. If not then its in the lights. My problem with the lights and everything else electrical was in the 9 pin connector and or the fuse block

jimbo7921

bwh3200 what did u use to replace the 9 pin connector? thx jim

bwh3200

Jim I used these connectors. The connectors are inexpensive but the crimpers are expensive. I managed to use a crimper that i had in my tool box and made them work, it was a pain. I think the proper crimper is a"F type". I used two 6 pin connectors because there were no 9 pins that i could find through Weatherpack. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Products-Individual-Female-Connector/dp/B0081ZY4ZS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1340450255&sr=8-15&keywords=weatherpack+connector

Todd

The lights should be on a 10 amp fuse.

Are the fuses in the correct sockets?

Possibly one or more wires may have lost their insulation due to some rubbing or vibration and are making an incorrect circuit.

I would first carefully inspect and check all the wires in the lighting circuit.

A wiring diagram would be essential and a meter very helpful.

jack were is this 10 amp fuse i cant find one anywere on my 520 ,,i have 30,25 and 15 in the fuse block but no 10,is there a inline 10 amp somewere ??

Save Old Iron

Jimbo, do you have this under control or do you need additional help?

Amanda

You have a short to ground, somewhere the power feed is grounded.