jsmoe

Opportunity to buy a D-160

jsmoe

While in my travels, I came across this D-160 for sale. I would like to make the guy an offer but have NO idea what it is worth.

It does come with the mower deck that only seems to need one of the rollers repaired and he says it shoots sparks from behind the flywheel. A new flywheel is also included.

I can only think or hope that a bolt might have vibrated loose and has backed out and rubbing the back side of the flywheel and not some kind of major melt down.

I'm told it has been sitting there for about 5 years.

post-7661-0-34470500-1339670191_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-57095100-1339670214_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-81836400-1339670249_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-09885000-1339670261_thumb.jp

Any input or guidance is welcome, wanted and appreciated :)

Dave

stevebo

Dave,

While I have never owned a D160 I have heard that parts for the older onans are not easy to come by. Based on the pictures and what it needs I would pass on making an offer unless you are willing to take on a project that may end up costing you more than what the tractor will be worth once it is done. IMO this is one of those tractors that is worth more in parts than whole. If you are looking for a D I would find a 180 or 200 with the Kohler motor. Just my .02 cents. In terms of offer price.... $300-$400 tops. Good luck in whatever you decide. :thumbs2:

Kelly

I kinda agree with Steve on this, I'd offer no more than $400 but I think basicly not running I'd start at $200, parts for the D's are getting hard to find, good parts that is, and with out being able to warm it up and check the trans, I'd stick with what I said for a price, in the $200 range, running driving mowing it's only a $600-700 tractor tops.

MarkPalmer

It looks to be in restorable/repairable condition, but it's definitely a project tractor. Unless it's freshly rebuilt (unlikely) addressing the Onan BF will be at least a $500-700 affair, possibly more. I might offer them $200-250 for it, explaining to the seller the truth (as in money pit) to what it will take to make it operable again, if you really want to tackle the project. It might entail a lot of time consuming parts hunting too.

-Mark-

1maidenfan

With the tractor NOT having a 3point hitch or a rear PTO I would not offer more than $300 tops. Just by what you are telling us.

They are good tractors, I have one and love it. I use it as my mower with a 3point mower and it handles it really well.

Good luck with it, what ever you deside.

JamesBe1

It looks like a nice tractor, but with the engine problem, and the lack of pto and 3pt, I would probably only offer him $300 tops. It's definitely project to get running again, and a big project if you want to restore it.

But that's just my opinion and not my advice.

bewford

DITTO on the price. I've got 3 D's great tractors, onans not so great

jsmoe

Thank you All for the input. It is well taken and I'm glad I asked. The Gentleman said he needed to get $500 for it. I don't think I'll even counter offer for all the more the tractor is worth in operating condition. It probably is a labor intensive money pit that would over crowd my work space anyway. Thanks again for the insight! :bow-blue:

• Like 1

Ken B

Excellent choice!

• Like 1

jsmoe

....still, it saddens me to see such a fine machine...well, ... unloved :sad:

JackC

I paid $500 for a good running D-160 with 3 point hitch, front and rear power take off and mower deck.

If you want a D, you are better off paying a little more and getting one ready to work, unless you like to tinker.

The also take up a lot of room.

AMC RULES

You can't save 'em all.

• Like 2

baerpath

If you do end up making an offer, there are a ton of the BF Onans out there on Sears that are a direct swap and can be had for cheap. So I would still make an offer. Who know might be a good one or not.

1maidenfan

....still, it saddens me to see such a fine machine...well, ... unloved :sad:

:ROTF: Me too, especially a D

gramps

I bought a d-160 a month or two ago with a bad Onan, came with a 50" good deck, a 50"/51" (how ever you measure it) very nice tiller, rear 3-point, had a good Onan sitting on the floor, gave $250 for it...couldn't be happer..

post-12427-0-32060100-1423531918_thumb.j

post-12427-0-02913000-1423531959_thumb.j

post-12427-0-83592700-1423531971_thumb.j

post-12427-0-74373700-1423531983_thumb.j

• Like 3

brandonozz

Ill give you your money back just for the tiller!!!  LOL!

You got a great deal.

pacer

My oh my! that is very "gloat" worthy!!

I've got a 180 and a 160 (with the one lunger) both having 3 points and they are amazing at what they can do!! Youre gonna love that horse...