Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

Autopulse fuel pump?

AMC RULES

I'm wondering, is there any way to test these things to see if they're pumping enough fuel for the engine to fire? I opened it up and the rubber gaskets looked OK, but how do I confirm this is a good pump?

post-3498-0-08070800-1339631596_thumb.jp

Lane Ranger

This posting is just one more example of why the Red Square website is so good!

Members helping other members learn and get what they need!!

gapper

I don't know how to test them but, If you look on ebay under fuel pump K1 pump you can get rebuild kits at a good good price. I know that the rubber gaskets inside can look good but be just a little out of shape and they will not work very well if at all. I think it is bad for them to dry out after they have been in use.

JamesBe1

The only way that I could think of to check one is with a simulated pulse and check the flow rate and pressure. Way too much trouble. I know that over time, the internals get stiff from the gas additives.

I ditched mine and went with an electric fuel pump and never looked back. It was more than worth the effort.

Don1977

There is a filter screen in the tank on the fuel shut off that could clog. The gas we have now has cause fuel lines to deteriate. Just saying there could be other problems.

AMC RULES

I've since got it running...but only with priming the carb first with a shot of starting fluid.

Pretty much convinced that this fuel pump needs a rebuild.

JamesBe1

Here's a pic of the fuel pump that I installed today.

I will probably not have to worry about it for the next decade or so.

AMC RULES

This tractor is a '63 model. I'm not sure the precise year this fuel pump was installed...

but I'm hoping after this $10 rebuild, it should be good for another three or four decades too.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Keeping it original for $10....priceless. :handgestures-thumbupright:

(Although..I do like the electric jobber.) :hide:

buckrancher

to check the one thats on there all you should have to do is remove it from the carb hook the other lines back up and

crank the motor over and see if the pump spits fuel out

Brian

AMC RULES

Did that Brian. The pump is moving the fuel, but it's more like a dribble than a spit.

It had me second guessing myself because fuel is making it into the bowl on the carb, just not through the carb.

Like I said, once the carb was primed with a shot of carb cleaner, it does run...so I'm thinking it's time for a pump rebuild now.

Mikez655

Would a fuel pump like that work on my h60? If so what are the benefits of a pump vs gravity feed?

AMC RULES

You can go up hills.

• Like 1

Mikez655

Nice what model fuel pump is that?

JamesBe1

Nice what model fuel pump is that?

Which pump? The impulse pump I believe is a Mikuni. The electric is a Purolator.

Here's some good info on fuel pumps. It starts about half way down:

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm

• Like 1

buckrancher

Did that Brian. The pump is moving the fuel, but it's more like a dribble than a spit.

It had me second guessing myself because fuel is making it into the bowl on the carb, just not through the carb.

Like I said, once the carb was primed with a shot of carb cleaner, it does run...so I'm thinking it's time for a pump rebuild now.

sounds like its not working right I would think it should spit fuel out a few inches i know the kohler style pulse pump does

Brian

Callen

Craig,

Where are you picking up the pulse?

AMC RULES

After the fuel leaves the pump itself, directly from the brass fitting that screws into the carb...is there some other place to check it Callen? :scratchead:

In the pictue I posted, I see there is a slotted screw located middle, right side of the pump, different from the cap screws the hold the two halfs of the unit together. Wondering if anyone knows if it might control the volume this thing puts out?

To date, I haven't been able to find any literature/manual for it...it's manufactured by Walbro, and stamped with Autopulse on the side. I asked a few people at the show, nobody's seen one before...or knew anything about it.

Any ideas?

Callen

Craig,

I see the hose from the tank and the pump is hooked directly to the carb. Where do you have the other line hooked to?

AMC RULES

It's plumbed like this Callen.

Click on the image to make it full screen.

post-3498-0-99022200-1340566964_thumb.jp

Mikez655

How is that tube from the crank case bolted in?

AMC RULES

It's connected with a hose clamp to a brass ninety degree elbow fitting that's screwed into the block.

Mikez655

Ok now my engine doesnt have that hole in the block, would i be able to drill and tap a hole so i can install my fuel pump?

Callen

I see it now. That should be getting good pulse. Are the ports marked?

AMC RULES

Not that I'm aware of, but I'll have to double check.