Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

Front Tire, which one?

GlenPettit

Replacing the front tires on my '69 GT-14, with a Quick-Way loader. 3 questions . . .

(1) It has 18x6.50-8 worn-cracked-leaking turf tires on it now, can I replace the rubber with 18x8.50-8 Rib tires on the original metal wheels, and would this tire be the best way to go for this heavy working tractor/loader?

(2) Considering these Miller tires. And, should I go with 4 or 6-ply, plus tubes?

(3) What would be the best recommend future tires for the back (traction; digging, dirt moving, sheep-barn manure clean-out jobs)?

Want to do it right the first time. Glen

Screenshot2012-06-12at100659AM.png

SNYFIX

Wouldn't you want Turf tread for "traction" ?? For loader work, yes a six ply would be better but may be 'harder' to mount. You have a rare tractor there BTW because of the loader.

1maidenfan

Have we seen pic's of the "rare" GT14 with loader ?

I believe from what others have said that the wider tire on front will help with stability on the tractor front end.

As far as rears go.. I prefer the lug or bar tires for the kind of work ( loader) that you talk about with some nice wheel weights.

That is how I have my D set up (lug tires, 26x12x12 and wheel weights ,110# each side). And fabing bracket for 3 point to add more plate weights.

MY :twocents-02cents:

SousaKerry

GO with the 6 ply for sure cause of the front end loader and extra weight, However have you considered tri-ribs I have heard from many sources that they make a loaded tractor steer much easier.

MalMac

I second what Sousakerry2 has said. I have heard several people say the Tri-ribs provide easier steering. I have a Ark 550 on a C-141 it steers like a log wagon. When time and money permit I am going to try the Tri-ribs. Got to do something before I end up breaking some steering component or my arms give out.

MarkPalmer

As others have said definitely 6 ply for that type of work. Mounting 8.5's on the narrower rims will cause the side profile of the tires to balloon a little, but it should still work. You might need to use tubes to be able to get the beads to want to seat on the rims, as new heavy ply tires sometimes don't cooperate when it comes to that. On garden tractors I have found rear Ags/lugs work great for just about anything, even lawn mowing. You'd think they tear up grass, not the case.

-Mark-

ol550

Can you still see what ply your front turf tires are? Does the Miller web site give a load rating for

the tires you are considering? Chances are your current tires are 2 ply. Myself I would use the 4

ply to allow some cushion to reduce stress to the spindles and axle. Mike

GlenPettit

The original front Carlisle Turf were just 2-ply. Will go with 6 ply if I can, was trying to find the correct size in Tri-Ribs, only source I found were nearly $300/pair plus shipping.

As of now, I'll go with the Miller RIB V61, (with tubes), I noticed that they are $10 less on eBay ($130/pair) and the same $23 shipping charge, than the catalog price, ??, (Miller has to pay the eBay charges too).

Will go with rear Lug tires and fill with Rim-guard in the rears for weight (GT has 'suitcase' bracket on back, guess I'll have to make some weights for it).

Re: ply --- local farm tire dealer said that 2-ply is rated 600#, 4-ply is 1200# and 6-ply is 1800#, that's per tire.

Thanks for the help (and I'm still very open to suggestions),

Glen

Don1977

Go with the 6 ply if you look at the information it says 6 ply rating. I don't have Tri- Ribs but I do have 6 ply rating trailer tires on thr front my C-120 with regular road tread they are not too stiff and they improved steering 100%. The reason is they stay round and don't try to fold up when the hit rough ground. I accidently ran in to a bush, the old tire would have folded up at the bottom, the 6 plys lay the bush over and were 18" up on it before I could hit the brakes to stop.

Kelly

You may want to think about putting the 8.5 wide tire on the narrow rims of the GT14, I think they are only 4" wide, I know the 6.5 wide tires bow in some, and the wide tire will make it steer harder with a load in the bucket, but those are nice tires.

GlenPettit

"Why can't things be simple"?

The original wheels were 18x6.50-8, and their metal wheels are 5.38" wide. I need heavy-duty 6 ply and 'sliding sideways' with a load in the loader is what I want to eliminate, because I'll be on moist manure/straw and turning (that stuff is like grease). Turf tires won't work here, rib tires are best. Tractor is only for loader work.

Miller Tire seems to have the best choices: (1) VRE Rib V61 18x8.50-8, or (2) Firestone 3-Rib16x6.50-8, their prices are very close.

The VRE is the same original diameter [actual 17.5"] but 2" wider with 5 even-equal ribs, the Firestone is .7" less diameter [actual 16.8"], same width with just one high rib (not sure of ply).

Wheel turning clearance may be a factor (tire width), and with the height, the hydro pump is under the tractor with only 3" ground clearance now. I will have tubes and high tire pressure, 20#.

Also, anyone know where I can get 27x9.50-15 lug tires (9.50 or wider, even 26" tall, but must go on a GT-14 15" wheel)?

What should I do, which choice? Glen

Screenshot2012-06-13at104212AM.pngScreenshot2012-06-13at104112AM.pngScreenshot2012-06-13at104151AM.png

1maidenfan

VRE Rib V61 18x8.50-8,

That would be my choice.

MarkPalmer

VRE Rib V61 18x8.50-8,

That would be my choice.

This would be my pick too. I think they were more intended as a tire for ag implements but several reviews I've read say they work great as front tires on garden tractors. Here is a pix of them on a JD 140, they look like they would make a very stable front end.

img1187up.jpg

-Mark-

GlenPettit

Thanks Mark:

The groves look much deeper on your tractor tires than in the ad.

Do you have wide metal wheels on the front for those Rib tires,

(the standard/stock metal wheel is 6.50, but your tires look like the 8.50 tire,

I would expect to have seen roundness).

Glen

MarkPalmer

It's not my tractor, only a file picture I found of someone using the VRE V61's- definitely the tire, but I don't know what rim width is on that tractor.

-Mark-

Kelly

Glen stop by the house you can see in person the firestone tri ribs, and you can see the 15" ags/lugs I have on the back of the loader tractor.

GlenPettit

Will do, how about Thursday evening, 7ish.

Not easy finding the correct size tires for this GT;

I sure like the look of the Tri Rib, and now

trying to find 27" lugs for the 15" wheels.

Glen