Sign in to follow this  
Terry M

Gophers are winning

Terry M

Sounds funny coming from a minnesota gopher fan but......Does anybody have a sure fire way to get rid of the gophers in my yard? or garden?

I've tried every thing I could think of. I Won't dabble with poisons because of my three kids and I'm trying to be humane as possible. My latest attempt was useing some smoke-bombs that the local garden shop said would get rid of them....and it didn't work. after putting a couple of those smoke bombs in their holes and putting large rocks over the holes, came back half an hour later and the smoke bombs were thrown about three feet from their holes and the rocks were pushed out of the way. :scratchead: any advice appriciated.

AMC RULES

Move to NY?

Less gophers, moles...but far more chipmunks.

bowtiebutler956

Get a bigger Rock! :ychain: Sorry Terry, I had to poke fun, but I have no idea what to do for that, as we have no Gophers in this part of the country. :hide: Good Luck! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

SousaKerry

use a large sheet of plywood and park something heavy on top like a tractor. them bast#*&s will dig out any way they can. On the farm we use conabear traps right in the holes, nasty way to die but effective.

I knew one farmer who would pump the hole full of anhydrous ammonia or propane and then light it with a long stick and a spark plug, if the gas didn't get them the explosion did :eek:

Terry M

use a large sheet of plywood and park something heavy on top like a tractor. them bast#*&s will dig out any way they can. On the farm we use conabear traps right in the holes, nasty way to die but effective.

I knew one farmer who would pump the hole full of anhydrous ammonia or propane and then light it with a long stick and a spark plug, if the gas didn't get them the explosion did :eek:

hmm...I don't think that last one would go over with the neighbors very well. but thanks anyway. one of my co-workers said you can buy some repellent that you sprinkle in the area that has garlic and fox urine.(?) He's getting some more info on it. guess it works on rabbits too.

CRE1992

How about a .17hmr or a ruger 10/22? Thats what we use for groundhogs.

Coadster32

Hire Bill Murray...(Cadyshack). There's a thread on Moles if you dig in the archives a bit. It was an active thres about 6-8 months ago. I remember juicy-fruit, propain, car exhaust, etc. I fought and lost to them all of last year, (think it was a grounghog, but not sure). I called lawn-doctor, and they got rid of them on the first outing. I tried the poison pellet at home depot, but with not luck. Not sure what the heck they use, but all I know is that it works. It's all underground, so my kids were fine. I personally think either poison, or learn to live with them. Good luck either way.

Prater

Juicy fruit worked for me and also one of my friends in Florida...

CasualObserver

Hire Bill Murray...(Cadyshack). There's a thread on Moles if you dig in the archives a bit. It was an active thres about 6-8 months ago. I remember juicy-fruit, propain, car exhaust, etc.

Here you go Terry. Thanks for the reminder Chris.

Tap53

Trap them all, then every morning you could go out there and choke your gopher..

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

That reminds me,,,, Gota Go...

AMC RULES

What do you think...choking a gopher, or a chicken?

Tap53

What do you think...choking a gopher, or a chicken?

Easier to choke a chicken, more space around the neck area, Gophers?? not much of a neck, kinda short and fat.. a little trickier to choke, but at the end of the day,

Choking is Choking

AMC RULES

Yeah, but at the end of the day...we both know, your gophers ain't chickens Tim.

bowtiebutler956

How did sheep end up in the mix Craig? :confusion-confused: This thread is getting a little :text-offtopic: . :ROTF: :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

Tap53

Craig, what are you doin with those video's on your computer...????

Terry M

OK, Trapping the Gophers would be bad because my kids would want to keep them as pets, and I'm trying to have them move somewhere else. as for the sheep or lamb I think I'd rather tolerate the gophers because they're at least quiet. as far as ringing the necks of the little rodents I'd rather not. (although it has crossed my mind a time or two.) any better Ideas guys would be helpful :):bow-blue: . Craig try not to be so sheepish. Thanks

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Craig, what are you doin with those video's on your computer...????

I knew that one would get your goat Tim. :text-baaa:

Tap53

:angry-cussingblack: :ROTF:

B-8074

Trapping and relocating is nice but more will just move in especially if the neighbouring properties have them. You need good ca"t or even a Dachund aka "wiener dog", aka Badger hound. My family has had several over the years and our place was always free from moles, gophers, or any burrowing critters. Plus they make great pets. Just a thought though.

CasualObserver

Dachshunds are horrible if you have kids, and I know Terry has a few young ones like I do. That's why they're good for moles/badgers.... mean little bastards. They can be great pets though... just not traditionally patient enough for kids. (From a former Dachshund owner)

B-8074

Good point. I was 10 when we got our first dachund.

Terry M

I might borrow the neighbors dog. They moved up from the Dallas/Fortworth area a couple years ago and have a dog thats a little chahuahua and mostly mutt. This dog barks alot but actually catches the gophers and .....um......kills them . They have a gopher picture talley on the dog's dog house.

I mentioned this to my wife and the answer was "NO WAY!" oh well , I'll keep looking for the right answer. :eusa-think:

AMC RULES

If they're known for chasing chasing moles...then why do they call 'em Weiner dogs?

post-3498-0-65615400-1339814040.jpg

6wheeler

I am glad to see all my gophers moved to Rosemount :teasing-whipyellow: . Terry, I was infested. I took an old lawnboy pushmower (sorry RyDogg) and took the muffler off and put in a close nipple. Then went to Carquest and got a 5' piece of flex tube and attached it to the close nipple and stuffed the other end into the tunnel as far as it would go. I packed dirt around it , filled her up with gas and let her run til she ran empty. Carbon Monoxide (the silent killer) stays in there quite awhile and settles into the den as well. So no daddy, momma or babies. Lasted 2 years, then them nasty moles moved in. You know how they are, they don't pay their rent, they have mole parties all night and they excavate your yard for free. So, last fall they had a date with LawnBoy exterminators. So far this spring, NO MOLES either. Good Luck Pat

• Like 1

Terry M

I bought the same stuff I used on the rabbits a couple of years ago. its some smelley sprinkle stuff from Bachman's. dumped it down their holes a few days ago.....Haven't seen one since... Although this morning I saw three rabbits in my front yard looking at me as I walked down the driveway. :scratchead: I hope they didn't trade leases with the gophers. and if thats not bad enough that squirl is back on my deck filling my grill with sticks :banghead: . I don't make this stuff up... I guess thats what you get when you have a wooded area behind your house.

But Pat ,I can honestly say I've never seen a Mole anywhere near my house. :thumbs: got one thing going for me!