Sign in to follow this  
AETD

how to read serial nr?

AETD

Hello guys,

How to read the serial nr on a C-series?

How to find production year?

is there a link from engine nr in serial nr?

regards.

Sparky

If you have the serial # of your "C" you must have the model# as well right? They are on the same tag. The model # is easy to decipher but I dont know what if anything can be gained from the serial#.

Mike..........

AETD

isn't there any logic in the nr?

like digits 1&2 for year, digit 3&4 for the month. etc...?

GlenPettit

Your best bet is to look at the engine serial numbers; Kohler's were usually made just 2-3 months prior to being mounted on the tractor.

From the Kohler Web site, you can tell exactly what day of the month & year that engine was made (American engines . . .).

Glen Pettit

meadowfield

the codes are all unique - theres no exact formula...

the one thing I do know is the last digit, mine is a 91-10K892 from Belgium and the number does not show on Toro site - I do have a mail from them telling me a model number with a “9†in the next-to-last position = built in Belgium. If a “0â€= built in USA.

mark

wheeledhorseman

Hi AETD

A couple of questions that might help us answer your questions.

You haven't said which 'C' you've got there but I notice your favorite tractor is a C-175 and in a previous post you mentioned that you were possibly going to buy one.

Is it a C-175?

Andy

AETD

i have my mind on 2 wh's.

a c-165 and a c-175.

yes i prefer the c-175, but it has no details, no year, no history and it stands in the garage of a hobby bob, with about 30 others some 3/4 other 1/4 complete. and big piles of parts.

so i have i little idea that he buy all cheap tractors on the market, stocks them, and repair one with parts of another.

that is why i ask if there is a link in engine nr and serial nr. and also would like to know how old it is, etc...

I could not find other wheelhorse in his stock. so maybe that is good sign. ;-)

regards

bowtiebutler956

What a find!!! :woohoo: I sure wish it was coming to :flags-texas: !! :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

meadowfield

both should have model number plates - if not on the hoodstand, on the gear plate or fender. Other than the engine serial number or the date codes on the tyres/fuel tank we can only go by the model and the years it was produced.

mark

Don1977

I have a C-120 that I bought new. 71-12K801 3450

The first 7 stands for 1977, the 1 don't know, 12K 12 HP Kohler, 8 for 8 speed, the 0 for made in the USA, the 1 don't know 3450 don't know could be the no. of C-120 built.

7302 The 7 for Model 1977 the 302 I have been told is the julian build date, that would be Sat. Oct. 29. It would have to be 1976 because I bought it May 7.1977. Build date Fri. Oct. 29, 1976

As for the 1 or 2 at the end of the first could be some small change they made in the model year. I can't remember what part I needed for my tractor but when the dealer pulled up C-120 1977 on a old microfech machine the part was a different design. Knowing that my tractor was built in 1976 I had him to pull up C-120 1976 and found the right part. That could also mean that someone labled the slide wrong as they made big changes in 1978.

The year and other information engine and transmissions can be found in the Wheel Horse Model List posted at the top of The Wheel Horse Picture Gallery.

meadowfield

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that from 76' on they added the year indicator to the first digit !

The one has always been there since dropping the date code.

I know of 3 horses where the engine size differs to the model plate - 2 of them I can say with sertainty are the original engine.... There seems to be a history of mismatched model ID's.

mark

SNYFIX

The Julian date response is correct. The julian date is the second set of numbers. The example is 7302 ---

It was built on the three hundred and second day of 1977 (or 1987 or 1997 or 2007 !!) Thats where knowing the seris built date helps -- ie you know that particular style was built in the 70's ---

As posted the engine date helps as well -- Briggs and Stratton (where used) code number provided the year with the first two digits being the year ---

DavidD

• I tried the kohler site, could not get the information I needed. Can anybody tell me year and so on with the following info?
  • M12S 471527

gwest_ca

• I tried the kohler site, could not get the information I needed. Can anybody tell me year and so on with the following info?
  • M12S 471527

10 digit serial numbers starting with 20 are 1990 production but you only show 9 numbers. These are in the front of the Kohler service manual you can download from here

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/serieslanding.htm?series=Magnum

What is the model number and serial number on the rear fender pan

Garry

DavidD

• M12S 471527

10 digit serial numbers starting with 20 are 1990 production but you only show 9 numbers. These are in the front of the Kohler service manual you can download from here

http://www.kohlereng...m?series=Magnum

What is the model number and serial number on the rear fender pan

Garry

The only thing left of that is the right end with 12858, I think I have it narrowed down to a 1990 model 31-12K801, 312-8.

Other people on here earlier this year, helped me narrow it down that far. Tomorrow I will try to see what the last number of the Kohler is. I am trying to plan to tear down and repaint next year, I would like to get all the stickers reproduced to put back on. Just working on getting all the pictures and documentation together.

Thanks,

DavidD

gwest_ca

The 12858 serial looks correct for 1990 31-12K801.

Serial 12788 has a build date of 0038 Wednesday February 07 1990

Your 12858 serial

Serial 13298 has a build date of 0053 Thursday February 22 1990

Garry