Sign in to follow this  
SomeGuy892

Replace Drive Belt on 257-H

SomeGuy892

Hello,

I have owned my 257-h for all of a few weeks and I am getting disgusted as everytime I touch it I am working on it. The tractor is in great shape for being an 89 and only has 329 hours on it. The first few issues were more related to what I was mowing as the property is in pretty tough shape and I was hitting all sorts of things.

The problem I have now is the drive belt let loose. Replacing it doesnt seem like that big of a deal except that I need to remove the electric PTO pulley. It seems to be held in place by a single bolt in the center of the shaft that runs up into the motor and the problem I am having is when I try to loosen the bolt the motor turns over so the shaft spins. I dont see anyway to lock the shaft short of grabbing it with a large channel locks or vice grips and it seems like there ought to be a better way. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences to share?

Thanks,

Nick

Kelly

Sorry to hear your having issues with it, as for the bolt, I use a air impact wrench, but you can try a big hammer and hit the handle of the breaker bar, most times when you break it loose it will spin right off.

SomeGuy892

Kelly,

I appreciate the suggestion the problem I am having is the shaft spins as it turns the motor over. I need to find a way to lock or hold the shaft so I can apply some torque to the wrench.

thanks,

Nick

Sparky

The best way would be to use a air gun. It still might spin but maybe it'll break loose in that first second that the air gun trigger is pulled.

Mike..........

SomeGuy892

Mike / Kelly thanks for the suggestions.

I got the job done I ended up heading down to the local rental center and renting an impact. That did the job removing the electric PTO clutch bolt. What was interesting though was after the bolt was removed the front of the PTO came off however the rear portion did not. So we removed a bracket that was next to the remaining PTO assembly and when the last bolt from that bracket came off literally everything just fell out. We managed to get the new belt in place and after some time puzzling over things we figured out how it all went back together.

The key take away from this experience for me is that it was likely not necessary for us to remove the PTO bolt. I think if we had removed the guard over the PTO itself and then removed the bracket located next to the PTO a few inches towards the rear of the tractor we would have been able to get the belt in place. I am going to try that next time. Also for any other poor lost souls out there trying to do this something a bit strange is the PTO assembly is attached to the bracket I am suggesting be removed via a very large spring. It is behind the bracket and its purpose is not 100% clear aside from keeping the PTO assembly from spinning. It will need to be removed to either remove the PTO pully or the bracket.

I hope someone finds this information helpful.

Thanks,

Nick