Sign in to follow this  
Torino

'69 Electro problem

Torino

The battery will not stay charged. When I turn the key it just clicks. I went to jump start it with a battery jump pack and when I put the clamps on the battery it sparked like crazy and melted a place in one of the clamps.

Save Old Iron

You need a haircut young man ....

and probably a new battery to replace what appears to be a shorted one in your tractor.

Measure the battery voltage - if its less than 10 volts - its technically dead.

• Like 1

Torino

What do you mean I need a haircut, I just got one? Look how nice and neat it looks. Talk about needing a haircut. Looks like you stuck your finger in the socket one to many times.

I will take a battery from another tractor and try it out. Something is draining the battery though. I have had nothing but trouble with the wiring in this tractor. I think I am going to replace every piece of wire in it and be done.

Save Old Iron

Try disconnecting the starter wiring too. I can't think of anything else that would draw enough current from the charger to blast out a chunk of the jumper cables.

An old, highly sulpahted batery would have a very high resistance and draw very little current. A battery with shorted terminals would draw significant cuurrent.