Sign in to follow this  
jmunzke

520H basic maintenance advice.

jmunzke

Hi Gang,

I am on my 2nd season with my 520H. She pushes snow in the winter and cuts grass in the summer. Slowly but surely I am learning how to work on it. Are there specific issues to address before they become problems:

For example: I have read that the belt cover gets hot and the fins get covered with debris. Have people reconciled these issues?

What other issues are there?

thanks

Kelly

Keep the engine clean, grass clippings in the blower housing/on the block/ jugs cause it to get hot, oil is cheap change it at least twice a mowing season, more if you mow alot, lighter weight oil in the winter, if you have a rear discharge deck remove the fender at least once a year and clean the trans off, RD decks throw lots of clippings up on the trans and can make it run hot, change the trans fluid and filter at least once a year, use a filter made for a hydro, I use Toro filters, 10W30 motor oil for the trans, it takes about 5qts, I use full synthetic oil, but a reg oil is fine, I find the synthetic oil work better in the winter, I would recommend adding a fuel filter if it does not have one, Onan carbs don't like dirt, keep everything greased, those are the basics, depending on how involved you want to get, and how many hours are on the tractor a new set of head gaskets and decarbon the heads and pistons is a good idea, but that can be a fairly involved project.

jmunzke

Thanks folks, I'll take all the advice I can get.

JackC

Keep a fuel stabilizer like seafoam in the fuel.

That ethanol is bad stuff in the small passages of carburetors.