Sign in to follow this  
bean

picked up a 310-8 with a 42"rd deck

bean

after asking a question about rear vs side discharge decks, I bought a 310-8 with the rd deck. it is a really nice machine. the po rebuilt the engine and it runs great. we mowed all 3 lots with it and used about 1-1/4 gal of gas. :)

after mowing with the hydro, the 310 seems a little slow, but hey, it's quality seat time. I might put on a set of 23x8.50-12s and speed it up a little in 2nd gear.

I still can't part with the "73 8hp. it has a lot of "character". occassional gas-line drip, sometimes it charges, sometimes it don't, pto lever switch might work, might not, but the old kohler starts at the touch of the switch and keeps going. it's like an old friend.

here is a vid of the two. I put the deck on the 8hp to see how it fits and to check the mule drive that I have for it. I just need to get a belt

[media=]

• Like 1

312Hydro

Looks like your mowing days are over with the help you have! I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the deck when you mow . I'm looking at a rear discharge but wondered how the cut grass looked after mowing.

bean

Looks like your mowing days are over with the help you have! I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the deck when you mow . I'm looking at a rear discharge but wondered how the cut grass looked after mowing.

I asked the same question in this thread.

I went with the rd deck because we have a lot of trees to mow around, and without a side chute, I can get close with either side of the deck

.when I picked up the tractor , we mowed a piece of the sellers yard and it looked nice. he also had a sd deck, and said he liked the sd better. when we got home and mowed our lots, we couldn't get a real good idea of the cut, because the grass was still pretty short. i can give you a better answer this mowing cycle. we just got an inch of rain and the grass will be fairly long when it dries out.

on a side note, the 310 seems to have plenty of power for a 42" deck.

ps. I do rarely mow now. with the two tractors and the boat, my new problem is trying to keep up with their gas usage. :)

Wheel Horse Kid

Great looking 310 and '73 8hp!

bean

Great looking 310 and '73 8hp!

:thanks:

squonk

I mow with a 42" RD deck. Grass was growing like crazy. After finishing I went over it with a sweeper. Lots of grass"laid down" when mowing and the sweeper fluffed it all up leaving spot that looked like I had skipped it. I blame it on the height and thickness of the grass. I went over it again and it looks great. I mowed this week with the dry weather slowing the grass down. You can't ask for a finer looking cut IMHO.

AMC RULES

Both are nice lookin' machines, but you're right...there something just plain cool about that old '73.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Very nice tractors you have! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

• Like 1

bean

I can't take credit for the 310-8. the po bought it in 1989 and it has been garage kept. the deck looks almost new.

he has a 416-8 that also looks new.

Wheel Horse Kid

I can't take credit for the 310-8. the po bought it in 1989 and it has been garage kept. the deck looks almost new.

he has a 416-8 that also looks new.

You can tell that it has been very well maintained

tunahead72

I still can't part with the "73 8hp. it has a lot of "character". occassional gas-line drip, sometimes it charges, sometimes it don't, pto lever switch might work, might not, but the old kohler starts at the touch of the switch and keeps going. it's like an old friend.

Just my 2 cents ... These are all fixable problems, I'm reading several reasons here to keep it, none to get rid of it. :handgestures-thumbup:

And have fun with your 310-8, looks like you got one of the nice ones!

bean

Just my 2 cents ... These are all fixable problems, I'm reading several reasons here to keep it, none to get rid of it. :handgestures-thumbup:

I know that if I fix all the little problrms, it will be in the garage forever. kind of like feeding a stray dog. once you do, it belongs to you :)