Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Drawing In Penetrating Oil

HorseFixer

I was working on a 1 3/16 Blower shaft today and noticed something that worked pretty well. After many years of soldering ie drawing solder into a copper fitting, I had a shaft that was froze on a blower today.... I heated the blower hub and sprayed Sea Foam and was able to draw the penetrant deep down in the hub where it was frozen. This worked well and I was able to freeze up the two rusted parts. Just maybe anouther time saver? B)

Duke

Sparky

Isnt Sea Foam flammable? Were you using a torch.

Mike............

Curmudgeon

I've tried similar stunts, and did wind up with flames. Not that this pyromaniac minded all that much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

combatmp29r

Yep I've been there too Dale. I was using wd 40 at the time though. Guess the metal was a little too hot for it :whistle: B)

HorseFixer

Isnt Sea Foam flammable? Were you using a torch.

Mike............

Mike it probably is....butt B) I had one of my guys standing fire watch and yes used a torch but not glowing red or nothing just damn hot! :whistle: When your down in the heat of battle and the job needs getting done sometimes ya have to pull back 20 yards and punt! :banana:

Duke

Rideawaysenior

An old school farmer tipped me off one day to a good way to unstick frozen head bolts. The reason I mention this is because I have tried it on stuck hubs and it worked there too. I used an acetelyne torch and heated the bejesus out of the hub and axle. I then once hot poured ice cold water on the heated parts, and wouldn't you know it, it worked. The deal is rapid expansion and contraction of the metal parts is usually enough to break the rust weld. This trick works so well, it's all I do now. Beats waiting for the penetrating oil to work. As far as penetrating oil, I have found PB Blaster to be the best by far. Sea Foam is also good as well as WD40 and Liquid Wrench, I just have had better luck with the PB Blaster.

Nick

I use a lot of PB blaster but Ive had good luck with marvel mystery oil before. The wonderous multipurpose oil. B)

After heating a cast hub to an extreme heat then dumping cold water on it, is there any chance of cracking it? B) Either way its off I guess. B) I was in a rush to get one off a c195 and after the torch wouldnt do it we gave up and cut it off. :whistle:

Rideawaysenior

Nick,

I thought the same thing. I needed a hub off one of my spare parts machines. I decided that because there were two hubs why not give it a try. I have broken more hubs using a gear puller then I care to ever even discuss. Either way, it's never an easy task when a hub is frozen.

Curmudgeon

Gear pullers will break hubs, no doubt about that. That's why you need a hub puller! They are easy enough to make.