Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

correct motor for 857 ?

stevebo

All-

I believe the correct motor for the 857 is an 8hp however someone else is telling me it is a 7hp. Please confirm ....

Ken B

Beats me, I would think 8? Last night it was me with an 856 and now you with an 857?

stevebo

Ken-

Uncle Bo has one he picked up with a replacement motor on it which I am looking to put on my 701....

Martin

8hp k181 (K181S-30108D) would be correct....

stevebo

What is the difference between the 7 and 8hp kohler k series? Will an 8hp be a direct bolt on my 701? Is there anyway to know the difference other than the tag?

Martin

im not sure steve, i would think that they would be similar like the bigger motors are with each other.

Kelly

No pics right now but, if you know what to look for you can tell them apart, big thing is the cooling fins near the exh. port on the carb side are machined off on the 7hp, and not on the 8hp there is also a bump in the block above the oil pan on early engines, and not on the later ones but I'm not sure if that applys to all the small blocks or not, and yes the 857 is a 8hp

stevebo

Bosmotor.jpg

Not the best picture but here it is... Can you id it ?

Martin

im trying to see whether the fins are like what kelly mentioned. i think that engine is the same as my k181 in the 875....

CIMG0824.jpg

JackC

Regarding the wheel horse 857, 8 is for 8 hp, 5 is for standard shift, 7 is for 1967.

The automatic version is 877.

stevebo

Jack, I thought the 5 was for electric start?

Kelly

The 5 does stand for elect. start, if it was a 0 it is pull start, BUT all Kohlers where elect. start after 65 only the tucky powered tractors could be had pull start.

See the 4 fins next to the exh. port in Martins pic, the 7hp they are not there. I'll get pics tonight or tomorrow of both.

linen beige

The 5 does stand for elect. start, if it was a 0 it is pull start, BUT all Kohlers where elect. start after 65 only the tucky powered tractors could be had pull start.

See the 4 fins next to the exh. port in Martins pic, the 7hp they are not there. I'll get pics tonight or tomorrow of both.

To add confusion, the 701 and 702 were electric start, manual shift.