Sign in to follow this  
Jamie Darian Brown

8 speed transmission rebuild

Jamie Darian Brown

Hey everyone.

Working on getting the wheelhorse b80 back together. I had to put a shifting fork in for the hi lo which was broke. The links to rebuild pics and Mike with parts was a huge help. The rebuild pics and links step by step show me how to put it back together. This forum is great! I have run into a minor problem putting stuff back together. I see in the rebuild pics that I can use a punch or screw driver to put in the spring, pin and two balls in the shifting mechanism (not the high lo, the other gears). You put punch in from side of tranny case to hold the ball in place until you get the shift fork to slide and snap into the spring/ball........... However, the hole or dentent on the side of my tranny it blocked? The hole is there but about a quarter inch in there is metal and it's blocked? Do I drill this out? Is it something to be pushed out? i had considered just trying to get balls in without using this method, but it seems impossible to do without using the punch or screwdriver as shown in pic. Thanks for all the help, Jamie

pfrederi

I believe what you are describing is a small metal plug that seals the hole. You can try digging it out with an awl. Some get them out and can reuse them...I am not so lucky I have drilled a very small hole in it, then used the awl to pry it out. You auto parts store should have "Freeze" plugs in various sizes you should be able to get one to fit.

stevasaurus

Paul is right...you have to get it open to get the detente balls and spring in. When done, I would just put a little silicone calk or a finger of bearing grease in the hole. The hole backs up to the backing plate on the frame and is not a leaking point. :) :)

WH854

You can get that plug from Toro! It's called cup plug ( P/N 1243 ) :thumbs:

Chas

can whlvr

be careful when doing this step ,i recommend doing it in an area where you can find the ball when it springs out,or if it does,the last one i did i spent hours looking for the ball when it sprung out on me

bowtieguy

I also lost the little ball as it shot out of that hole....but I had a box of ammo for a sling shot......fit like an OEM ball...could that now be called "locked and loaded"?

Jamie Darian Brown

Locked and loaded! Ha! Good thing the slingshot balls fit.

Thanks to all for all the advice. Starting working on it today. Had to stop. I need a needle bearing for the shaft the drive pulley is hooked to. And the woodruff key for that same shaft. I am gonna pm Mike to see if he has it. Hope so. My boy and I are getting this mower ready for an engine show at the end of this month as a butt buggy to ride around on. This forum is great so much help so quick! Thanks again. When I get bearing I should be back in business getting it together.

racinfool40

Jamie I have them all and will be headed your way Monday Morning!!

MIKE

Jamie Darian Brown

Thanks Mike!

How do you tap this bearing and seal in..... Use a wood dowel, rubber hammer.? the last thing I want to do is bend and break it...... Thanks for all the help guys!

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: Jamie! Sounds like your getting it beat. I recently had my trans apart in my B-80, but mine is just a 4 speed. If you get a chance, post some pics. :wwp: Here are some pics of mine, you can still see the blue silicone between the case halves, because I didn't feel like waiting on a new gasket. :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-33112700-1338756620.jpg

post-6076-0-11134800-1338756642.jpg

pfrederi

:WRS: Jamie! Sounds like your getting it beat. I recently had my trans apart in my B-80, but mine is just a 4 speed. If you get a chance, post some pics. :wwp: Here are some pics of mine, you can still see the blue silicone between the case halves, because I didn't feel like waiting on a new gasket. :ychain:

Since it is a 4 speed that isn't a big issue...but if you can see the silicone on the outside then there is some hanging out on the inside. If you had a hydro you would be asking for problems stemming from bits and pieces of silicone getting stuck in inappropriate locations.

See Coldones post about the gasket shellac he found in his D200...silicone is worse. It had just about plugged up the intake screen in my D200 (which the PO claimed had been overhauled by a "Professional" complete with green HVAC O rings. yeah right...

Jamie Darian Brown

I will get some pics posted soon when I get it back together. Nice B80! Looks great! Mine is ROUGH! It sat out for years and years and years by previous owner. Motor he said had been rebuilt years before. Should be a sound runner but won't win any beauty pagents... LOL I am thinking of painting it. Nothing special but just to stop the rust.....

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Since it is a 4 speed that isn't a big issue...but if you can see the silicone on the outside then there is some hanging out on the inside. If you had a hydro you would be asking for problems stemming from bits and pieces of silicone getting stuck in inappropriate locations.

See Coldones post about the gasket shellac he found in his D200...silicone is worse. It had just about plugged up the intake screen in my D200 (which the PO claimed had been overhauled by a "Professional" complete with green HVAC O rings. yeah right...

I'm aware of this Paul, and I would never do that to a hydro, but being a manual, a little silicone won't hurt a thing. I took it apart because I managed to knock a c-clip off the inside of one of the axles while trying to remove a hub, so I opened it up to fix it, and the little onion skin gasket tore, and I wasn't about to wait over a week to get a $2 gasket, so out came my trusty tube of RTV! Problem Solved! :thumbs:

bean

Matt,

what ags do you have on your b-80? I have to say, that is one of the nicest retorations I have seen

bowtiebutler956

Sorry for the slow responce bean, the ags are 23x8.50-12 that I got from tucker tire on :techie-ebay: for $103.99 a pair. :thumbs:

Jamie Darian Brown

I just wanted to thank yall for your help. I got the B-80 up and running today. Transmission is in and worked out a few brake and clutch bugs. Got a new belt from trac. supply. It's the smooth kevlar type. The old one was rubber and would not slip. I have been driving it around today. Seems good so far. I now have it ready to ride with my son at an upcoming show thanks to you guys and MIke's parts and advice. It looks rough, I may attend to that later. I will post some pics soon and put it on youtube and give yall a heads up.

Thanks again! This is my first wheel horse, but I don't think it's my last.

racinfool40

Glad ya got it all back together Jamie...And thats what we are here for..show us a pic with you and your son!!!!! That's what it's all about!!!!!!!!!!!