Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Hood Swing

Greg B.

Is there a WH device to limit the travel of the hood, or are you supposed to flop it over until it rests on the headlights?

Greg B.

nylyon

On the later series (300, 400 & 500) they added a small bar in the front attach-a-matic hitch which the hood brackets will hit to limit how far the hood will open. The C-120 doesn't seem to have it have to check to see if it could be added. Tomorrow i can take some pictures of the 416 and how that one works for you if you want?

kpinnc

Greg,

Another possibility- You may be missing is the plastic "bushings" that the hood bracket mounts on. They came on alot of the "middle aged" tractors. They tend to crack and fall out, which keeps the bottom of the bracket from making contact with the front of the frame because of the loose fit. That would allow the hood to fall all the way over. I replaced the plastic ones with bronze bushings from TSC. They work great, and won't break over time. Makes the hood nice and snug too.

Kevin

kj4kicks

I know the 1975 C160 has a 1/4" rod that goes through the tach-a-matic mount, just below the hinges. It catches on the ears of the hinge. The 1991 520 has the same setup. Take a look at the parts diagram for your tractor to see what is there.

Eldon.

Rollerman

Greg what model Wheelhorse is this that the hood goes all the way over?

Like Kevin mentioned ...on the early tractors if the plastic bushings are gone it will flop over.

And as Karl & Eldon say the later tractors that used the front tach a matic had a hood stop built into the hinge assembly.

Stephen in northern IN

Greg B.

Stephen,

This old gal is a C-165 Automatic (01-16KS01-2054). If the front tach-a-matic is where the mule drive mounts, I've got one.

Eldon,

Parts Diagram?

Kevin,

There is no evidence of any kind of bushings.

Karl,

I would really appreciate that.

Gentlemen,I want to resolve this situation before I do anything cosmetic to the front of this critter. My best "Plan B", so far, involves the dog's leash :D

Greg B.

T-Mo

Greg,

Go here to view the parts diagrams:

Toro Product Center

Put the model number in the block provided and it will pull some info and some options, i.e. "Parts Look-Up". Click that on it will give you a sectional breakdown, i .e. "Hood Assembly". It will only list a few sections, so there is a pull down menu that will open up more per page (I usually click on "View All".

Also you can download a few manuals or purchase some there also.

nylyon

Go to the Links sticky in the Wheel Horse Tractors group. The first entry is for the MPV (Master Parts Viewer) enter in your model number 01-16KS01 and go to the Sheet Metal link. There is a part called "ROD-HOOD STOP" which is probably what you will need.

edit: Terry beat me to it... :D

T-Mo

Karl,

I was sure that you had that in the "Links" here, but didn't think about it until I've posted. Sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain does..... :D

kj4kicks

wh%20hood%20stop.gif

Hood stop is #29 in this diagram.

Hood pivot is # 27.

Eldon.

Greg B.

Eldon,

Thanks. It is part 29 that is missing. I just was out there and took a look.

Thanks, Gang, for the links and directions.

Thanks again,

Greg B.

nylyon

Yep, that's the part that I saw as well, it is part number 108243, and is about..... Holy cow $25. I'd be willing to bet that a piece of threaded rod would work just fine.

Rollerman

Yep should be easy enough to make something up.

Stephen in northern IN

Greg B.

About a foot of the hood support rod, from my brother-in-law's rice burner ought to work :D

Greg B.