Sign in to follow this  
David_V

C81 drive belt routing?

David_V

I took off the old belt, got a new one, but I don't think I have it routed right. It's very loose. The replacement belt is 5/8 x 82, which should be the right belt. Anyone got a picture or a diagram?

Kelly

No pic right now but it goes around the engine pulley back to the trans around that one and over the clutch pulley you have to loosen the pulley on the clutch to get the belt under the tab, be sure the clutch spring is good it is on the other side of the trans above the brake band.

• Like 1

David_V

I have the belt going around the pully on the engine, over the top of the tensioner, then around the pully on the tranny, then back to the engine.

Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow and see if I can post it.

Kelly

Sounds right.

Sparky

Could the clutch return spring be missing or popped off during the belt swap? No belt tension without the spring.

Mike............

David_V

I'm confused with the "clutch"? Is that the pully on the transmission? That seems to be stationary. The pully to the right of that seems to be a tensioner. Maybe the spring on that is not right. It doesn't seem to provide much tension.

Kelly

when you push the clutch pedal you will see the clutch/tensioner pulley moves forward, as I said on the other side of the trans. there is a return spring if that is not hooked up, or has been replaced with the wrong one it will not pull the belt tight.

David_V

Thanks, now I have a better idea. That spring must have come off or broke. Something caused the original belt to destroy itself. That may have been it.

David_V

Sadly, life got in the way and I was unable to work on my little tractor for almost a year. I made the decision, some people say mistake, to buy a 1939 Ford 9N. I won't get that running for a few years. It was a bargain; most of the parts are there and it was only $400. I can put $3000 into restoring it and then sell it for $2000, :D

Back to my C81. All the springs and pullies are in place. The clutch pully cannot take up any more slack. The belt I have is a NAPA 5L820W. Should I get an 81 inch belt instead of the 82?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Idler pulley 7451 replaced by 95-7668 should be 4" OD

Transmission pulley 106165 should be 6-1/2" OD

82" belt should work.

Garry

Don1977

The belt may be marked wrong and is longer then 82".

WH854

Here is a picture of the right side of my tractor with the belt showing. :thumbs:

ClutchIdler_zps0cf60bdc.jpg
Chas

David_V

Thanks for the picture. I was sure the belt could only go on one way, but the picture helps. Everything is original except for the belt, so all the pully sizes should be correct. I tried an 80 inch belt. They didn't have an 81 inch. It's way too short. I'll take that one back. The local auto supply should have an 81 and an 82 in that size. I'll compare and see what happens.

Hey, how do I get one of those USNavy seals? I did 4 years active and 6 drilling reserve as a CTO. That was in the mid 1970's.

WH854

Hey, how do I get one of those USNavy seals? I did 4 years active and 6 drilling reserve as a CTO. That was in the mid 1970's.

Check with the administrators. :thumbs:

Chas

David_V

More on my belt tightening problem:

I got a regular, not woven, belt that was 80 inches. Didn't fit. Got an 81 inch. Didn't fit. The woven, expensive, 82 inch belt was way too big. Now I am going to try a regular 82 inch and see what happens. I think the woven belt I got a year ago was either mislabled, made wrong, Or, are the woven belts bigger than the regular ones?

MalMac

Are you sure you are putting it on the engine pulley and not the PTO pulley. I have seen this tried before.

gwest_ca

These drive belts must be totally covered with fabric. Some belts have raw rubber sides and they will not slip to give you clutch action.

The clutch spring is on the left side of the transmission pulling on the rod from the pedal. It hooks into a hole in the web above the left axle housing. Is it still there or stretched and not doing it's job?

The belt should measure 82" around the outside.

Garry

David_V

I'm putting it on the engine pulley, the one behind the PTO.

The clutch spring is firmly attached. Maybe a little stretched, a replacement wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's a problem... yet.

Would that fabric covered belt be the "woven" belt the parts guy mentioned? I have a belt, I think it has a NAPA number stamped on it; 5L820W. The '5' is for 5/8 inch wide. The 820 is 82 inches and the 'W' for woven. It was way too loose. The clutch pulley could not go back far enough to take up the slack. I just ordered a 5L820 (no 'W') and I'll see if it fits Wednesday. If it does then I'll start working on getting one that is fabric covered.  I'll measure the "W" belt and see if it's the right size.

Something else has me worried though; the original belt seemed to be just fine, maybe a bit old but not cracked or rotten. Then one day it just shreds itself. All the pulleys turn just fine. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the transmission. Do belts go suddenly like that?

David_V

Problem solved. The 82 inch, non woven, belt works. As some said the clutch is kind of sticky, but it works. I compared the 82 inch woven belt and it was thinner than the non woven belt. It sat down further in the pulley. The new, non woven, belt rides high, or level with and maybe slightly proud of the outer edge of the pulley.

I also changed the motor mounts while I had the covers off. One was in several pieces.

I also changed the muffler. The inlet on the old one was a half inch. Now I have the standard button muffler on the end of a one inch pipe., It starts better and runs better now.

It's all ready for a summer of pulling things around the ranch.

Raymond Theroux
On 4/1/2013 at 4:17 PM, gwest_ca said:

it's

On 4/1/2013 at 8:33 PM, David_V said:

I'm putting it on the engine pulley, the one behind the PTO.

The clutch spring is firmly attached. Maybe a little stretched, a replacement wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's a problem... yet.

Would that fabric covered belt be the "woven" belt the parts guy mentioned? I have a belt, I think it has a NAPA number stamped on it; 5L820W. The '5' is for 5/8 inch wide. The 820 is 82 inches and the 'W' for woven. It was way too loose. The clutch pulley could not go back far enough to take up the slack. I just ordered a 5L820 (no 'W') and I'll see if it fits Wednesday. If it does then I'll start working on getting one that is fabric covered.  I'll measure the "W" belt and see if it's the right size.

Something else has me worried though; the original belt seemed to be just fine, maybe a bit old but not cracked or rotten. Then one day it just shreds itself. All the pulleys turn just fine. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the transmission. Do belts go suddenly like that?

Tractor supply has a kevlar belt works great

• Like 1